MetroNational Office Tower (Dillards Site Memorial City)

Urbannizer

Marble.  Just like the big ol' SakowitzthatwasmakingFoley'sitsbeotch / nowaparkinggarage downtown, and the long gone First City banking lobby.  

Nobody uses it anymore, which is a bit of a shame.

Marble. Absolutely fascinating. All these years I thought it was concrete. 

No one uses marble anymore for building because it's far too expensive. Unlike the Midtown Sears, this one ought to stay because the company's future isn't questionable, it's built like a rock (because it is, lol), and the facade wasn't ruined decades ago.

Marble. Absolutely fascinating. All these years I thought it was concrete.

No one uses marble anymore for building because it's far too expensive. Unlike the Midtown Sears, this one ought to stay because the company's future isn't questionable, it's built like a rock (because it is, lol), and the facade wasn't ruined decades ago.

No one uses marble for building because it it s terrible material for building. It is soft and porous and doesn't keep its color over time. Several building around town that were clad with marble have had big issues (lyric center, Houston chronicle, the capital one building on Westheimer, and another building on Fannin come to mind)

No one uses marble for building because it it s terrible material for building. It is soft and porous and doesn't keep its color over time. Several building around town that were clad with marble have had big issues (lyric center, Houston chronicle, the capital one building on Westheimer, and another building on Fannin come to mind)

Seems like Travertine Marble was a big status symbol for buildings in the 60's-70's, kind of like Burl Walnut in cars. Amoco building in Chicago was clad in it, as were other famous buildings. I think that the same local press that did the Transco book whose cover is my avatar also did a book on the family-owned company in Italy that quarries the travertine.

• 6 months later...

i believe that is their bunker hill site.

They were putting up chain link fence today at the Bunker Hill and I-10 intersection.  I think the office building going up on that corner will be started soon.  Not sure if we have another thread for that anywhere.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to MetroNational Office Tower (Dillards Site Memorial City)

Archived