MetroNational Office Tower (Dillards Site Memorial City)

Urbannizer

The level of development activity in Houston is just feverish. Here I was thinking and starting to settle to the thought that it's cooled off and the next wave of projects arrive.

I'm happy this area is starting to go vertical + densify. The ring of surface parking lots around Memorial City Mall is the second worst I've seen in prime Houston location, after the albatross of mega-lots around NRG and Astrodome sports complex. Hope they look into developing some of those sometime in the next 20-30 years too.

I thought it was dillards galleria too.

Hmmmm, I think houston is defining the new look of suburbia. Seems like instead of single family homes surrounding miles of cul de sac'd streets interspersed with strip centers, the new surburbia seems to be massive thoroughfares lined with 12 storey building atop a five storey garage in which the bottom floor has a hint of retail.

I am not commenting on this area in general, just an observation on how similarly styled buildings are popping up all over the place.

I was actually going to post something regarding this area but didn't know if I would get in trouble for it.  I was in the Treehouse building where Metro National has some really cool offices and they also happen to have some really cool scale models of Memorial City.  One of the models shows this building and another (twin of this building) they plan to have go up along I-10.  No idea on the time frame though.  I will try to get a snapshot of it next time I'm in there.

I was actually going to post something regarding this area but didn't know if I would get in trouble for it.  I was in the Treehouse building where Metro National has some really cool offices and they also happen to have some really cool scale models of Memorial City.  One of the models shows this building and another (twin of this building) they plan to have go up along I-10.  No idea on the time frame though.  I will try to get a snapshot of it next time I'm in there.

i believe that is their bunker hill site.

Haha. Good to know we are all itching to see the Dillard's site at theGalleria be redeveloped. I wonder when it's time will come? I'm kind of glad this isn't that site though, I think they could come up with something way better for Dillard's uptown than just one ~20 story office tower.

I don't know man, 12 floors of office on top of parking might just shift the whole balance from Uptown to Memorial City. Post Oak Blvd could become a ghost town.

The day uptown becomes a ghost town we are all in trouble. The density there is big enough to sustain itself. Plus, I don't see tourists (Mexico nationals etc) abandoning Uptown for EC. I do think it's great to take some of the pressure off of the Galleria area and for this huge city to have other options.

I like the Uptown Dillard's building. It's a lot better than their newer stores, architecturally, methinks.

agreed, but wishful thinking is that the Dillards plot gets redeveloped into a mixed use development or some outdoor retail branch of theGalleria, and Dillards be reconfigured into a Galleria V expansion or something.

so it looks like there could be retail space in the bottom of this tower? the bottom level seems taller than the garage floors above..

I like the Uptown Dillard's building. It's a lot better than their newer stores, architecturally, methinks.

Marble.  Just like the big ol' SakowitzthatwasmakingFoley'sitsbeotch / nowaparkinggarage downtown, and the long gone First City banking lobby.  

Nobody uses it anymore, which is a bit of a shame.

I like it too and I like its history (my grandmother worked there), but I just wonder how long it will remain the highest and best use of that land as Uptown goes vertical.

Archived