Texas Lieutenant Governor 2014: Will Patrick carry Harris County against Van de Putte in November ?

Blue Dogs

Tonight's only statewide televised debate between State Senators Dan Patrick (R-Houston) and Leticia Van de Putte (D-San Antonio) in the race to succeed outgoing 3-term Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst ®, will be broadcast on several Texas TV stations statewide across the Lone Star State and while many are expecting Patrick to win handily on November 4th, the big question is whether Patrick will carry Harris County ?

A. Yes: he trounced Dewhurst in Harris County both in the March 4th primaries and May 27th runoff

B. No

C. To be determined

http://www.danpatrick.org/

https://leticiavandeputte.com/

post-9343-0-84753100-1412028691_thumb.jp

I'm somewhere between B and C.  

Sure, he had a cakewalk... in the R primary, with a nicely whipped up frothy base, and a previously beaten Dew.  Lots of people didn't vote in that primary - some of what remains of traditional Rs, I'm guessing a plurality of independents, and pretty much every single D (who had their own primary to vote in, don't forget).  

Also, Patrick's got name recognition here, all right.  A good chunk of that name recognition is among those who are amazed he's made it this far.

The idea that Abbott/Patrick will be running this state is scary. Those two are clowns. 

I laugh as I watch Abbott wheel himself up a clogged freeway ramp claiming he's gonna fix roads and stuff because he can do it and he can let those in the Lege know who's boss!

Um, hasn't your party been running the show for nearly two decades now?

The first recollection I have of Mr. Patrick was of him as a sportscaster on one of the television stations. He didn't last long in that job, probably because almost everybody I knew thought he was a whiny-gut.

Patrick used to work for KHOU-TV as a sports reporter back in the day.

Patrick used to work for KHOU-TV as a sports reporter back in the day.

He also owned what's often put forth as one of the first sports bars in the US, Dan and Nick's Sportsmarket in the Rice Village. Of course, it's long gone now, but it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that both the Village and the Texas Legislature might have been better off had he remained a bar owner rather than opting to run for elective office. 

Which continues to air the ultra opnionated Dr. Steven Hotze during the day.

He's also the guy, who got into an argument with one Houston journalist: Patrick called the dude's wife, "Stupid b*****" & "Dirty Mexican."

I'm a Libertarian and I wouldn't even mind voting Democrat if one could step up to the plate. I would simply vote just to shake things up for the state tbh (of course this isn't how I vote for candidates, but I think it's time to teach republicans that they don't have a monopoly on the state).

Patrick said he's making border security the #1 priority in the 2015 legislative session.

Which border? Mexican? Louisianan? Oklahoman? What the hell does he plan on doing? Send the U.S. Border Patrol packing and do the patrolling ourselves? What a blow hard. These guys sure do like to talk all tuff right before elections. 

Patrick also intends to shut out all Democrats from major committee chairmanships, etc.,

Plus, he'll be the most powerful statewide officeholder in the Lone Star State and he's one heartbeat away from the Texas Governor's Mansion.

• 3 weeks later...

Which border? Mexican? Louisianan? Oklahoman? What the hell does he plan on doing? Send the U.S. Border Patrol packing and do the patrolling ourselves? What a blow hard. These guys sure do like to talk all tuff right before elections. 

The Mexican border issue is just a red herring.  The real problem is protecting our borders from the onslaught of refugees from California and New York.  :P

moving forward: now that we are saddled with patrick as lt governor, it is important to watch every local election by which we send folks to the state legislature.  patrick is not one to compromise (not a trait that suits our form of government); every elected official in the texas senate is important.  vote in the primaries!  vote in the special elections!  vote in the runoffs!  do not vote straight party tickets...learn about the candidates and vote strategically when necessary.

off soapbox.  patrick's ascension horrifies me; it is his ilk who will destroy the republican party.  libertarians do not have enough political power, yet many moderates on both sides of the isle might be considered libertarian if they learned more about it (www.reason.org).

i do not want another obama, nor a hillary, nor a romney, and certainly not a dan patrick as POTUS, god forbid!  it would be refreshing to hear reason rather than party line; consistency of principle, rather than a third rail.

i'm exhausted already...dan patrick - booooo!  future elections - yayyyyy!!!!

Speaking of the incompetent Obama administration, I'm expecting the GOP to win back the White House in 2016 because people are sick & tired of the massive regulations, taxes being raised, disastrous foreign policy, etc.,

On Patrick: expect him to follow through by his stand of not appointing a single Dem to any of the major committee chairmanships of the TX State Senate.

Speaking of the incompetent Obama administration, I'm expecting the GOP to win back the White House in 2016 because people are sick & tired of the massive regulations, taxes being raised, disastrous foreign policy, etc.,

On Patrick: expect him to follow through by his stand of not appointing a single Dem to any of the major committee chairmanships of the TX State Senate.

I don't see where anybody was speaking of the incompetent Obama administration in this forum, but since you have started it, I'll ask the question, other than the Affordable Care Act, what massive regulations has the Obama administration passed?, and I don't remember any tax hike that the Obama adminstration has passed, other than the Affordable Car Act, or letting the Bush Tax cuts lapse. And a disastrous foreibn policy is just your opinion. Finishing up two forreign wars, while trying not to get dragged into any others is not disastrous.

But you are right about Patrick, he will shut out any democratic from any committee chairmanships.

It will be interesting to see if DP maintains the tradition of the blocker bill.  The first Senate bill put on the calendar is usually something along the lines of calling for erecting a giant limestone mockingbird statue at all highway rest areas or some similar nonsense that never actually gets taken up.  Under Texas Senate rules as I've understood them, it then takes a 2/3 majority to suspend the rule and allow another particular item to be taken up "out of order."  It has quietly drowned soooo many bad ideas over the years.

Archived