Can the Boom Continue?

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily Timoric.

The plan for the Riverwalk here is similar to San Antonio's. That is, a glorified pond.

the section through downtown San Antonio is a cement pond. The real river bypasses that part of downtown. After repeated floods the city diverted the river and the channel that was lefts was turned into an attraction.

Houston can create the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily Timoric.

The plan for the Riverwalk here is similar to San Antonio's. That is, a glorified pond.

the section through downtown San Antonio is a cement pond. The real river bypasses that part of downtown. After repeated floods the city diverted the river and the channel that was lefts was turned into an attraction.

Houston can create the same thing.

This is untrue. The riverwalk portion is the "real river," which runs in an oxbow pattern through downtown. When they built the riverwalk, they dug a canal at the narrow end of the oxbow, allowing the oxbow to be bypassed during flood events. Some of the trees along the riverwalk portion are much older than the bypass channel, as are some of the buildings such as La Mansion Del Rio (originally St. Mary's College).

The problem with doing a Houston riverwalk is there is no logical place to create a bypass channel. Also the bayou is larger and more volatile, the soil I think is looser, and the water is brown rather than greenish-charcoal colored. And then there are alligators.

What about it is untrue? You basically said what I said.

Fact: the popular part of the River Walk you call the oxbow is a cement pond that can be closed off at both ends.

Fact: the river bypasses this oxbow. Whether it used to be the natural course of the River is irrelevant, fact of the matter is the river walk is a cement pond and not a free flowing water way like buffalo bayou so my point remains, the same can be created in Houston without worrying about flooding because the money parts of the walk will be a controlled area and not a water catchment course.

This is what it looks like when they drain the pond for cleaning:

sogc6WI.jpg

N9JXFnm.jpg

As you can see it is a concrete whole in the ground that the city fills up with water aka a cement pond like I said

What about it is untrue? You basically said what I said.

Fact: the popular part of the River Walk you call the oxbow is a cement pond that can be closed off at both ends.

Fact: the river bypasses this oxbow. Whether it used to be the natural course of the River is irrelevant, fact of the matter is the river walk is a cement pond and not a free flowing water way like buffalo bayou so my point remains, the same can be created in Houston without worrying about flooding because the money parts of the walk will be a controlled area and not a water catchment course.

This is what it looks like when they drain the pond for cleaning:

sogc6WI.jpg

N9JXFnm.jpg

As you can see it is a concrete whole in the ground that the city fills up with water aka a cement pond like I said

You don't take being wrong very well. It obviously makes a difference to most people who care about authenticity whether it is the original river or not. And just because there is a bypass channel doesn't make it a "pond," nor does paving the inside. It is a paved section of river with a bypass channel.

You don't take being wrong very well. It obviously makes a difference to most people who care about authenticity whether it is the original river or not. And just because there is a bypass channel doesn't make it a "pond," nor does paving the inside. It is a paved section of river with a bypass channel.

Sorry sir, but you are wrong. It is a pond. No longer the route of the river.it is concrete and water is added and removed. It is died waterever color they want, although they say it is economic friendly dye. Sorry dude, I lived in san antonio. I saw the pond being emptied, i saw it being cleaned, i saw it being refilled. It's a pond, and that is what it is. So tell me what would prevent Houston from building a cement pond off of Buffalo bayou?

Sorry sir, but you are wrong. It is a pond. No longer the route of the river.it is concrete and water is added and removed. It is died waterever color they want, although they say it is economic friendly dye. Sorry dude, I lived in san antonio. I saw the pond being emptied, i saw it being cleaned, i saw it being refilled. It's a pond, and that is what it is. So tell me what would prevent Houston from building a cement pond off of Buffalo bayou?

Buffalo Batou serves more as a glorified drainage ditch first for conveying water through our flat city compared to the slightly hilly San Antonio.

Also a lot of money

Sorry sir, but you are wrong. It is a pond. No longer the route of the river.it is concrete and water is added and removed. It is died waterever color they want, although they say it is economic friendly dye. Sorry dude, I lived in san antonio. I saw the pond being emptied, i saw it being cleaned, i saw it being refilled. It's a pond, and that is what it is. So tell me what would prevent Houston from building a cement pond off of Buffalo bayou?/

You lived in San Antonio, but you didn't know until today that the riverwalk is the original river and the canal is artificial. All of which can be learned by taking one riverboat ride.

I think what you're missing is authenticity. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what they do to it, pave it, put bubble bath in it, whatever, the fact is that's the river. When Mexico laid siege to the Alamo, that's where the river was. When they built all those buildings, they built them on the river. Those buildings didn't stop being on the river just because a bypass channel was built.

You can dig a canal in Houston that will have no functional utility and say "this is our riverwalk," but everyone's just going to laugh, and San Antonio will laugh the hardest. You might as well build a pretty Spanish mission downtown and put some cannons around it and when people say what the hell is this, you can shrug and say, "Sure looks nice, doesn't it?"

You lived in San Antonio, but you didn't know until today that the riverwalk is the original river and the canal is artificial. All of which can be learned by taking one riverboat ride.

I think what you're missing is authenticity. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what they do to it, pave it, put bubble bath in it, whatever, the fact is that's the river. When Mexico laid siege to the Alamo, that's where the river was. When they built all those buildings, they built them on the river. Those buildings didn't stop being on the river just because a bypass channel was built.

You can dig a canal in Houston that will have no functional utility and say "this is our riverwalk," but everyone's just going to laugh, and San Antonio will laugh the hardest. You might as well build a pretty Spanish mission downtown and put some cannons around it and when people say what the hell is this, you can shrug and say, "Sure looks nice, doesn't it?"

I never said the bend was not the original river sur. You are presuming things. I said it is a pond and that is what it is. You were wrong, you thought the river walk was one continuous free flowing steam. It is not. Get over it.

Since you mentioned the missions let me educate you some more. Some of the missions in San Antonio were relocated to San Antonio from the SE Texas area. The Settlements around Houston were far older than any around SA.

I never said the bend was not the original river sur. You are presuming things. I said it is a pond and that is what it is. You were wrong, you thought the river walk was one continuous free flowing steam. It is not. Get over it.

Since you mentioned the missions let me educate you some more. Some of the missions in San Antonio were relocated to San Antonio from the SE Texas area. The Settlements around Houston were far older than any around SA.

It is a free flowing stream with floodgates and a bypass channel. It is a natural oxbow in the San Antonio River. What exactly have I said that you think is wrong?

Which settlements in Houston are you referring to? San Antonio has settlements going back to the early 1700's; what does Houston have that is "far older"?

It is a free flowing stream with floodgates and a bypass channel. It is a natural oxbow in the San Antonio River. What exactly have I said that you think is wrong?

Which settlements in Houston are you referring to? San Antonio has settlements going back to the early 1700's; what does Houston have that is "far older"?

George Herbert Walker Bush?

Dave Ward?

Tal Smith?

That is where you are wrong. The oxbow is NOT free flowing. That part does not Flow. The free flowing stream runs straight. The oxbow is blocked off at both ends.

That is where you are wrong. The oxbow is NOT free flowing. That part does not Flow. The free flowing stream runs straight. The oxbow is blocked off at both ends.

It is not blocked off as long as the floodgates are open, right? Only blocked if it is flooding.

George Herbert Walker Bush?

Dave Ward?

Tal Smith?

/\ /\ /\ Holy Toledo, that's funny.  

Speaking of which, in the "far older" category, let's not forget Milo Hamilton. 

• 1 month later...

CBRE's Ryan Epstein on the multi-family market. Interesting that it's not what I am mainly hearing... we do see board oversupply in the multi-family market but as Ryan said, we are glad that the "pipeline is turning off." Most people on HAIF won't like to hear this, but we would be better sticking with townhomes, condos... single family, I mean, as we wait and see how the Houston market absorbs this new incoming supply.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Panel-Commercial-real-estate-largely-holding-its-6398104.php?t=67837018db&cmpid=twitter-premium

CBRE's Ryan Epstein on the multi-family market. Interesting that it's not what I am mainly hearing... we do see board oversupply in the multi-family market but as Ryan said, we are glad that the "pipeline is turning off." Most people on HAIF won't like to hear this, but we would be better sticking with townhomes, condos... single family, I mean, as we wait and see how the Houston market absorbs this new incoming supply.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Panel-Commercial-real-estate-largely-holding-its-6398104.php?t=67837018db&cmpid=twitter-premium

What is it that you are not mainly hearing? 

Archived