How Atlanta Does Urban

I want to share some photo threads from Skyscraperpage by Detroitman and Ant131531. I must say WOW! Atlanta has changed a lot since I was last there. Its a very walkable city compared to Houston. Wish there was someway Houston could change its rules on zoning, planning, etc.

DetroitMan

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=213215

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=213221

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=213420

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=213421

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=213422

Ant131531

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=213354

Those pictures are nice and all, but they don't show what's going on in other parts of town. What about the areas in Southwest Atlanta around Campbellton Rd., Greenbriar Pkwy., Cascade Rd., and the West End?

Are you saying that Southwest Atlanta around Campbellton Rd., Greenbriar Pkwy., Cascade Rd., and the West End all have even more nice urban development? Or are you saying its the suburban type of development or what?

Are you saying that Southwest Atlanta around Campbellton Rd., Greenbriar Pkwy., Cascade Rd., and the West End all have even more nice urban development? Or are you saying its the suburban type of development or what?

I'm asking what's going on in those areas. Those parts of town were left out in the photos. I haven't been to Atlanta since 2009 or 10, but from what I understand, Tyler Perry has put some investment into those areas and I'm wondering how that's been coming along.

Reading Swamplot, and the COTD seems to hit home: "Urban enthusiasts are under the delusion that most people want to walk around in sticky moist air and sit at their desk stinking all day from sweat in order to pretend they live in a city that was built before cars were invented so they can live like the people they envy on t.v. " Ouch. "But as cool as it may be to have a tiny, tiny, microscopic sliver of New York in the center of this city, it is totally unnecessary. Our booms have proven that." Ouch ouch.

a lot of those "urban/walkable" Atlanta photos remind me of Midtown, Rice Village, the 4th ward, and Montrose..

a picture overview of Midtown..http://prideinphotos.com/2014/06/10/midtown-houston-oh-so-yummy/

Yeah. Why doesn't Houston have any places that look like that?! O wait, it does. Never mind.

Yes, thank you for providing four photos to prove that ;)

Yes, thank you for providing four photos to prove that ;)

So what.. You want me to go out on a multi day venture across the city documenting all the denser urban areas, or spend hours gathering online photos to prove my point?

That historic neighborhood looked like the heights. The street with the older single story store fronts looked like Montrose, and that pedestrian walkable area looked like Midtown or Rice Village. Do you not agree? Btw, I just discovered a link yesterday to some fantastic murals around town, since you seem to of liked the Atlanta murals.

Interesting I was always under the impression Atlanta was sprawling and boring like houston

Your ennui is showing. 

Atlanta is a beautiful city to drive a convertible in.  Especially in spring when the dogwoods are blooming.

another photo review of Midtown i found..

http://www.chookooloonks.com/blog/scenes-from-the-weekend-midtown

It was lovely to see: I mean, Houston is already a great city, but could this relatively rapid development of Midtown signal the start of the city becoming a metropolis that actually encourages community?  With, you know, more pedestrianized areas, and connected greenspaces, and -- I'm going a little nuts now -- a public transportation system that facilitates easy movement from one neighbourhood to another?

I do live in hope.

and a few other photos of comparable Houston areas (to the first photo set at least.. i stopped clicking through after that)..

historic-houston-heights-neighborhood.jphistoric-houston-heights-neighborhood.jp

wildlife-sanctuary-sculpture-heights-blv

622x350.jpg

622x350.jpg

622x350.jpg

you do realize Atlanta is decades ahead of Houston in terms of rail? not to mention that thing called zoning. of course they are going to have some pedestrian friendly, walkable, dense neighborhoods. Dallas has them. Austin has them. as proven above, parts of Houston are even turning into them. for the most part we are just behind in mass transit/rail compared to most of these cities.. sans Austin, which only has downtown to develop...

another photo review of Midtown i found..

http://www.chookooloonks.com/blog/scenes-from-the-weekend-midtown

and a few other photos of comparable Houston areas (to the first photo set at least.. i stopped clicking through after that)..

historic-houston-heights-neighborhood.jphistoric-houston-heights-neighborhood.jp

wildlife-sanctuary-sculpture-heights-blv

622x350.jpg

622x350.jpg

622x350.jpg

you do realize Atlanta is decades ahead of Houston in terms of rail? not to mention that thing called zoning. of course they are going to have some pedestrian friendly, walkable, dense neighborhoods. Dallas has them. Austin has them. as proven above, parts of Houston are even turning into them. for the most part we are just behind in mass transit/rail compared to most of these cities.. sans Austin, which only has downtown to develop...

Are we behind on mass transit in general or just in number of miles of rail line.  I wonder what the blogger meant by "a public transportation system that facilitates easy movement from one neighbourhood to another".  Aren't most neighborhoods, particularly inside the loop connected by bus lines?  Does she mean that you have to have rail to have easy movement from one neighborhood to another?

To connect this to Atlanta a little bit, I lived there throughout the 90's.  Except for the MARTA trains, public transport there was a joke compared to Houston.  I was amazed when we moved here to see how much more extensive the bus system was here.  Has the bus system improved vastly in Atlanta in the last 15 years?

Are we behind on mass transit in general or just in number of miles of rail line. I wonder what the blogger meant by "a public transportation system that facilitates easy movement from one neighbourhood to another". Aren't most neighborhoods, particularly inside the loop connected by bus lines? Does she mean that you have to have rail to have easy movement from one neighborhood to another?

To connect this to Atlanta a little bit, I lived there throughout the 90's. Except for the MARTA trains, public transport there was a joke compared to Houston. I was amazed when we moved here to see how much more extensive the bus system was here. Has the bus system improved vastly in Atlanta in the last 15 years?

Those are great questions.. Likely we are only behind in terms of rail miles. Houston does have a great bus system.. Busses just aren't as appealing to ride and aren't permanent fixtures.. How many transit oriented developments do you know around bus stations? It just doesn't seem to happen like they do with rail.

a lot of those "urban/walkable" Atlanta photos remind me of Midtown, Rice Village, the 4th ward, and Montrose..

a picture overview of Midtown..

http://prideinphotos.com/2014/06/10/midtown-houston-oh-so-yummy/

midtown-sign-houston-tx-black-white-imag

coco-crepes-midtown-houston-bike-rentals

modern-and-vintage-contemporary-houses-t

coco-crepes-cafe-midtown-houston.jpg?w=1

cyclone-anayas-mexican-outside-cafe.jpg?

mr-peaples-steak-seafood-midtown-houston

the-fish-restaurant-midtown-houston.jpg?

I really hate to be a hater Cloud713, but most of those pictures are of one development, Post Midtown. Post is an Atlanta company. Houston's own Camden properties refuses to build developments like Post did for midtown, yet they build them in other cities. You know why they don't build them in Houston? Because they don't have to, its not required.

I really hate to be a hater Cloud713, but most of those pictures are of one development, Post Midtown. Post is an Atlanta company. Houston's own Camden properties refuses to build developments like Post did for midtown, yet they build them in other cities. You know why they don't build them in Houston? Because they don't have to, its not required.

if thats true about a lot of those pictures (obviously the houses and stuff werent Post) were of Post Midtown, which happens to be an Atlanta developer, then thats pretty damn funny/ironic. but then again maybe thats why i thought they looked like Atlanta, because some of the pictures from the Atlanta picture threads might of been a Post development?

Camden is a horrible example. they have historically never built GFR in any of their developments, at least in Houston. though they will hopefully get on with building their development on the Midtown superblock, and change that anti-retail/pedestrian friendly stance. what about someone like Midway or Hines? are their mixed use projects around Houston "required" by the city, or why do they choose to build them? or the people building Mid-Main? what about Regent Square?

i already mentioned Atlanta having a much more extensive rail system thats been established for decades longer. lets not forget the population influx to Georgia in the 90s, similar to the influx of people were seeing in Texas today. that growing population brought with it lots of new development. also lets not forget that little thing called The Olympics that Atlanta hosted in '96... think of the billions Houston is spending just in preparation for the Super Bowl. one event, that happens every year. now imagine the types of investments getting poured into the first American city to host the Olympics in 12 years. the Olympics run for 16 days, with multiple events in multiple venues all across the city. its estimated that 2 million people visited Atlanta for the 1996 Olympics. the average Super Bowl apparently brings around 100,000 people. quite a big difference. id say Atlanta got a huge kick start/leg up on Houston/most other southern cities with its inception of MARTA, and the '96 Olympics.

LOL   You've told a lot of tall tales around here, citykid, but pretending you hate to be a hater has to be one of the tallest.

now?

Cloud this has been going on for almost a decade.

Actually I stopped for a while becuase for somereason I thought that Houston was cathing up with its urban development (if not passing them). But after seeing all of the development going on there I realized that they were much more a head when it came to urban walkable development. I'm not taking a jab at Houston, I like that the city is growing as fast as it is, I just wish the majority of the development that was going up was more worth of a city the size of Houston. I thought the days of vehilce oriented development was over because of all of the inner city stuff that is going up in Houston but even those developments are not quite what you would find in other cities. But it is what it is and it seems that some developers are somewhat catching on.

Actually I stopped for a while becuase for somereason I thought that Houston was cathing up with its urban development (if not passing them). But after seeing all of the development going on there I realized that they were much more a head when it came to urban walkable development. I'm not taking a jab at Houston, I like that the city is growing as fast as it is, I just wish the majority of the development that was going up was more worth of a city the size of Houston. I thought the days of vehilce oriented development was over because of all of the inner city stuff that is going up in Houston but even those developments are not quite what you would find in other cities. But it is what it is and it seems that some developers are somewhat catching on.

again.. Atlanta is at least a decade ahead of Houston, urban development wise. they had MARTA decades before we got METRORail. they had the '96 Summer Olympics almost a decade before we got our Super Bowl, and over 2 decades after our Super Bowl '17 (i forget the number.. 51?) that we are in the process of preparing for now. and Atlanta has probably held a super bowl in all that time..

wpid-Downtown_Evening_View.jpg

Allen_Parkway_Evening_View.jpg

DSC02308.jpg

6ezcg9k.jpg

67odfa0.jpg

4th14k1.jpg

6ajatzc.jpg

img_0504__1200_px_width.jpg

Rice-Village-_-10.800w_600h.jpg

622x350.jpg

content_image_biz.jpg

aerialviewofcitycentre09302013071350112.

i couldnt find many good pictures of the store fronts along Montrose. 

and of course next to West Ave and 2727 Kirby these two projects are planned..

collection-kirby-overall.jpg

hanover-river-oaks-render-sw.jpg

and then projects in the works like Regent Square..

regent-square-houston-300x206.jpg

lets not forget BLVD Place, River Oaks District, Westcreek, Azalea Court/Mid Lane, Mid-Main, Uptown Park, the new CityCentre expansion thats increasing the leasable area by 50%, all the new mixed use developments planned for Memorial City, the redevelopment of theGalleria and GreenStreet. nope.. Houston doesnt know anything about urban. :rolleyes:

I kind of have to laugh at how these Atlanta developments make them "more urban", because the whole "walkable mixed-use development" is just a buzzword for "outdoor shopping mall".

You see, true walkable areas aren't created by a bunch of marketing wizards with some underused land on their hands, they're developed neighborhoods after decades. Times Square is one of the most walkable, most vibrant places in America, but it wasn't created in some boardroom meeting that decided New York needed a "walkable mixed-use development". 

I'm not saying that these developments are wrong, but they're a part of the destination, not the destination themselves. Village Arcade isn't the "big thing" in University Place, it's a part of Rice Village, and that's the real urban destination.

again.. Atlanta is at least a decade ahead of Houston, urban development wise. they had MARTA decades before we got METRORail. they had the '96 Summer Olympics almost a decade before we got our Super Bowl, and over 2 decades after our Super Bowl '17 (i forget the number.. 51?) that we are in the process of preparing for now. and Atlanta has probably held a super bowl in all that time..

aerialviewofcitycentre09302013071350112.

this isnt CityCentre...??

Archived