On 5/28/2018 at 4:04 PM, mollusk said:

I hope that the drab appearance of the stucco is a factor of lighting and/or how those particular potatoes cameras captured colors.

There is no hope.  RD has Vegas taste.  He is always able to sell them though.  The most disappointing one to me is his Cosmopolitan. Ugly color and squatty. He should have put a spire or something on top.  It ruins the view of Post Oak from the south. Hopefully Hanover's (or whoever is building where Ninfas and ATT were) will completely block it.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Twitter1 said:

Trump was staying at St. Regis a few days ago. The freeways were shut down for his motorcade. Spent nearly an hour on the 610 feeder! Took this photo during the hour long wait.

0bfOoLF.jpg

Any word on if that plot of land next to Robbins Brothers is going to be utilized for some kind of development in the near future? 

• Like 2

^ Nope, I do not know anything.

I've been wondering the same for years. For one, there could be a lawsuit regarding the height of the development blocking views from the 3 other residential towers. Just like the proposed tower drama at San Felipe & Post Oak. Could also make a nice green space or small park. Maintain the grass.  That costs money though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2018 at 9:41 AM, Twitter1 said:

^ Nope, I do not know anything.

I've been wondering the same for years. For one, there could be a lawsuit regarding the height of the development blocking views from the 3 other residential towers. Just like the proposed tower drama at San Felipe & Post Oak. Could also make a nice green space or small park. Maintain the grass.  That costs money though.

They can sue all they want for blocking their views but they won’t be successful. Every building blocks (or changes) someone’s view. 

• Like 1

I shake my head at this building every time I see it.  I guess the color scheme is to match the other two new buildings south of this site?  It looked much better when it was just bare cement gray  than it does since they painted it beige.  It doesn't read similarly overall like the other two where you have much more glass surface, so it ends up looking like a different color scheme design anyway.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 1

I agree. The color of the stucco is terrible with the color of the glazing. This is going to take the place of the skinny  apartment tower on Sage as the strangest building in Uptown.

At least Randall has been consistent. Its hard to imagine one developer creating so many near misses out of so many nice renderings. He never seems to get it all right.

Because of the pattern he has created it will always look a little unfinished.

Well he still has the Marlowe to come closer.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2018 at 7:05 AM, CaptainJilliams said:

Any word on if that plot of land next to Robbins Brothers is going to be utilized for some kind of development in the near future? 

Whatever is built on this land will likely block the views of the galleria skyline from all 3 of those buildings.  

On 6/2/2018 at 1:04 AM, Twitter1 said:

Trump was staying at St. Regis a few days ago. The freeways were shut down for his motorcade. Spent nearly an hour on the 610 feeder! Took this photo during the hour long wait.

0bfOoLF.jpg

Too bad The Wilshire wasn't about 10 stories taller.  It would have looked better instead of the stair stepping down in height between these 3 buildings.  Meanwhile, the lady in red is saying "I'm late for my shift to Target!"

Here are some reflection coefficent equations if any which to test ArchFan's contention. I for one will take his word on this.

Hemispheric Reflectance

The hemispherical reflectance of a surface, denoted R, is defined as[1]

{\displaystyle R={\frac {\Phi _{\mathrm {e} }^{\mathrm {r} }}{\Phi _{\mathrm {e} }^{\mathrm {i} }}},}R={\frac {\Phi _{\mathrm {e} }^{\mathrm {r} }}{\Phi _{\mathrm {e} }^{\mathrm {i} }}},

where

• Φer is the radiant flux reflected by that surface;
  • Φei is the radiant flux received by that surface.

Spectral hemispherical reflectance[edit]

The spectral hemispherical reflectance in frequency and spectral hemispherical reflectance in wavelength of a surface, denoted Rν and Rλ respectively, are defined as[1]

{\displaystyle R_{\nu }={\frac {\Phi _{\mathrm {e} ,\nu }^{\mathrm {r} }}{\Phi _{\mathrm {e} ,\nu }^{\mathrm {i} }}},}R_{\nu }={\frac {\Phi _{\mathrm {e} ,\nu }^{\mathrm {r} }}{\Phi _{\mathrm {e} ,\nu }^{\mathrm {i} }}},
{\displaystyle R_{\lambda }={\frac {\Phi _{\mathrm {e} ,\lambda }^{\mathrm {r} }}{\Phi _{\mathrm {e} ,\lambda }^{\mathrm {i} }}},}R_{\lambda }={\frac {\Phi _{\mathrm {e} ,\lambda }^{\mathrm {r} }}{\Phi _{\mathrm {e} ,\lambda }^{\mathrm {i} }}},

where

Directional reflectance[edit]

The directional reflectance of a surface, denoted RΩ, is defined as[1]

{\displaystyle R_{\Omega }={\frac {L_{\mathrm {e} ,\Omega }^{\mathrm {r} }}{L_{\mathrm {e} ,\Omega }^{\mathrm {i} }}},}R_{\Omega }={\frac {L_{\mathrm {e} ,\Omega }^{\mathrm {r} }}{L_{\mathrm {e} ,\Omega }^{\mathrm {i} }}},

where

• Le,Ωr is the radiance reflected by that surface;
  • Le,Ωi is the radiance received by that surface.

Spectral directional reflectance[edit]

The spectral directional reflectance in frequency and spectral directional reflectance in wavelength of a surface, denoted RΩ,ν and RΩ,λ respectively, are defined as[1]

{\displaystyle R_{\Omega ,\nu }={\frac {L_{\mathrm {e} ,\Omega ,\nu }^{\mathrm {r} }}{L_{\mathrm {e} ,\Omega ,\nu }^{\mathrm {i} }}},}{\displaystyle R_{\Omega ,\nu }={\frac {L_{\mathrm {e} ,\Omega ,\nu }^{\mathrm {r} }}{L_{\mathrm {e} ,\Omega ,\nu }^{\mathrm {i} }}},}
{\displaystyle R_{\Omega ,\lambda }={\frac {L_{\mathrm {e} ,\Omega ,\lambda }^{\mathrm {r} }}{L_{\mathrm {e} ,\Omega ,\lambda }^{\mathrm {i} }}},}{\displaystyle R_{\Omega ,\lambda }={\frac {L_{\mathrm {e} ,\Omega ,\lambda }^{\mathrm {r} }}{L_{\mathrm {e} ,\Omega ,\lambda }^{\mathrm {i} }}},}

where

• Like 2

No need to get fancy.  The sun is far enough away to make it good enough to calculate plane-wave reflection coefficients and also it's not necessary to introduce frequency dependence.  In the past, I experimented with a lot of various equations for sound waves in the earth.  I imagine that for visible light this far from the sun, it would be sufficient to use an equation that allows for angle dependence and there is no mode conversion to speak of, as would be the case for sound waves.   In any case, just to my eyes, I don't need to fuss over which equation to use:  Randall's new building starts hurting my eyes once the sun comes up.   

Ultimately, its just another building that is better to live inside of, so that one doesn't have to look at it from nearby.

Edited by ArchFan

• 3 weeks later...

I had much higher hopes for Arabella based on the renderings but have been completely disappointed with with what we got. The first rendering, mostly glass on the west side, worked for me! The second, more like what we got, at least works to a degree since the glass as rendered doesn't contrast as much with the white stucco surfaces. The close to final product with the white stucco highly contrasting the glass just looks low-grade. Not making final judgement yet, but I'm not hopeful based on all the other garbage Randall Davis has graced Houston with, particularly over on Post Oak! Hard to believe (or maybe not so hard to believe) but the Wilshire and Skyhouse towers to the south of Arabella turned out much better and much classier! 

2018-07-14_18-19-09.jpg

2018-07-14_18-22-25.jpg

10 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Then why bother posting anything at all? 

I mostly come to Haif for the photos, renderings, rumors, early announcements and inside info. No offense to anyone, but the opinions don't mean much to me. Don't worry, that's just an opinion.

About this building... I like it,  (4 stars out of 5). Bitching about the stucco where the glass should have been is pointless at this point. But for what its worth, I think they could have chosen a better color to paint the stucco too.  Luckily, mother nature will darken that bright white paint in no time, so relax.

Edited by Reporter

3 hours ago, Reporter said:

I mostly come to Haif for the photos, renderings, rumors, early announcements and inside info. No offense to anyone, but the opinions don't mean much to me. Don't worry, that's just an opinion.

About this building... I like it,  (4 stars out of 5). Bitching about the stucco where the glass should have been is pointless at this point. But for what its worth, I think they could have chosen a better color to paint the stucco too.  Luckily, mother nature will darken that bright white paint in no time, so relax.

Funny thing is, I believe someone else recently posted their complaint about the beige stucco.

• 2 weeks later...