1 hour ago, gene said:

ChannelTwoNews you really outdid yourself this week with all of your amazing posts/photos...THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! :) 

Thank you for the kind words! I don't get to visit as much as I'd like and since I saw the weather was not going to cooperate, I tried to shoot as much as I could in a couple of days. Only missed a few places, but I think I can get back to them soon enough.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This building is, by far, Randall Davis’s best effort to date.  However, the exterior seems off to me.  The way the glass/stucco portion transitions to all-glass looks weird — like it wasn’t thought out very well.  The two sections don’t blend together with any fluidity. What do y’all think? 

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

This building is, by far, Randall Davis’s best effort to date.  However, the exterior seems off to me.  The way the glass/stucco portion transitions to all-glass looks weird — like it wasn’t thought out very well.  The two sections don’t blend together with any fluidity. What do y’all think? 

no-surprises.jpg?w=240

^^^ i'd be willing to think that none of us are hereby surprised.....

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 7:34 PM, BigFootsSocks said:

I'm very srs rite now; did Randall have a seizure when designing this thing and all his employees just went with it because they're used to his style now? Still trying to figure out the window pattern

I’m telling y’all I think I’m on to something here

• Like 3

I disagree that those of us writing unflattering reviews of RD’s buildings are internet whiney boys or arm-chair quarterbacks.  Architecture is a combination of form and function.  There is an element of art in every building and some architects/developers simply do a better job artistically than others.  I don’t profess to be an expert on the design, engineering or economic constraints that impact the final product.  I understand that profit is the primary driver and impacts the aesthetics of a building.  But, as a consumer of the “public art” that is ultimately created once the cranes are down and the landscaping is in, I think I am as qualified as anyone to offer an opinion on a building’s look.  And I think that projects like Aris Market Square and Catalyst are much more pleasing than The Cosmopolitan, Marlowe and Astoria with their hulkingly conspicuous parking podiums that offer zero interaction with their surroundings.

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

I disagree that those of us writing unflattering reviews of RD’s buildings are internet whiney boys or arm-chair quarterbacks.  Architecture is a combination of form and function.  There is an element of art in every building and some architects/developers simply do a better job artistically than others.  I don’t profess to be an expert on the design, engineering or economic constraints that impact the final product.  I understand that profit is the primary driver and impacts the aesthetics of a building.  But, as a consumer of the “public art” that is ultimately created once the cranes are down and the landscaping is in, I think I am as qualified as anyone to offer my opinion on a building’s look.  And I think that projects like Aris Market Square and Catalyst are much more pleasing than The Cosmopolitan, Marlowe and Astoria with their hulkingly conspicuous parking podiums that offer zero interaction with their surroundings.

Exactly. What frustrates me is RD seems to release fantastic renderings, sell 50% of units based on those renderings, and then change them for cost. I expect change from what is first shown but this project is a great example of one that would have been easily the best residential tower in Houston to feeling like it is unfinished. Clearly he knows what he is doing because he has been able to sell and build multiple projects but I just want the best and not what could have been.

• Like 3

Is the discontent with the parking podiums themselves or the design of the podium? If the latter, then I disagree. In the case of the Arabella, I wonder if they will be able to develop something on the plot where the sales trailer currently sits on San Felipe between the Arabella and target (that would not be an option if that land was instead devoted to the building's parking). 

• Like 1

The thing is, a parking podium doesn't have to be ugly.  Look at the Catalyst downtown -- it surrounds the parking podium with more apartments so it has residences all the way up.  Similarly, with the Kirby Collection, they put townhouses on the first couple floors of the structure, helping to obscure the parking garage.  Office towers like 609 Main and BG Group Place continue the glass curtain wall down the parking garage so it seamlessly looks like part of the office space from the outside.  Aris at Market Square has an attractive façade for its parking garage.  But Randall Davis just likes putting up plain empty walls on his podiums.  That's the difference between Randall Davis and more professional developers like Hines.

• Like 8

The problem is with the design of the podium.  Of course you have to have parking in a building.  Catalyst wraps the parking garage with retail and residential units.  The parking is all but invisible.  Aris has GFR, plus the facade on the parking levels makes them look like occupied floors, which camouflages the parking and visually connects the ground level with the residential levels.  Both of these buildings “flow” nicely from the ground up.  RD has an unquestionable affinity for chunky, stark, vault-like podiums that make his buildings incohesive.

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Reporter said:

Even with the stucco, this is a great looking tower. And I'm sure that is all RD is hearing from anyone that matters to him.

I like it too... it might not be as cohesive, but it’s interesting to look at. Too much cohesion makes a building boring in my opinion. I do like Aris a lot more than this though, but I don’t think this is ugly  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reporter said:

Even with the stucco, this is a great looking tower. And I'm sure that is all RD is hearing from anyone that matters to him.

It’s certainly his best effort.  The texture of the facade and the shape of the tower are intriguing.  And the height of the residential portion relative to the podium makes the podium less intrusive.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I like the fact that this is a big project on limited lot.  It didn't buy up 2 acres around it for ground level parking / pool / tennis courts etc.  Leaves open the possibility of other close development and makes it less of an island.  The proximity to the other two high-rises also makes it feel like it's part of a neighborhood.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkylineView said:

I like the fact that this is a big project on limited lot.  It didn't buy up 2 acres around it for ground level parking / pool / tennis courts etc.  Leaves open the possibility of other close development and makes it less of an island.  The proximity to the other two high-rises also makes it feel like it's part of a neighborhood.  

Yup I’m hoping they put something fun to the rear of the building (between target) where the current sales office is located. Also hope that the proposed hotel next to the Wilshire gets going soon. There’s a lot of emptines on westcreek at the moment.

• Like 1