LS27

Looks like Lovett is surprisingly remodeling, and not tearing down, an old warehouse near washington, on Sawyer/Edwards, right along the railroad tracks.

http://www.lovettcommercial.com/Detail.aspx?idwebarea=36&webid=159

Im sure it's not news to many, but it now looks like the are actually doing some construction there.

Anyone have any pictures or know any additional info such as possible tenants?

• Like 1

Looks like Lovett is surprisingly remodeling, and not tearing down, an old warehouse near washington, on Sawyer/Edwards, right along the railroad tracks.

http://www.lovettcommercial.com/Detail.aspx?idwebarea=36&webid=159

Im sure it's not news to many, but it now looks like the are actually doing some construction there.

Anyone have any pictures or know any additional info such as possible tenants?

I rode my bike by there last weekend - I was also surprised to see it wasn't a teardown---the old warehouse is gutted to the rafters and beams....nothing much else was left....they were digging trenches to lay electricity lines from the street to the building when I rode by.....if I get by there again this weekend, I will take pics

Keeping the warehouse feel is a great idea.  The First Ward has a big chance to outdo all the other hot spots in town for redevelopment.  It is 5 min from downtown.  Walking distance to the bayou.  On the hike and bike path.  Loaded with big parcels with emptied industrial buildings that are ready for anything.  Only downside is the train cutting though the neighborhood.  But repurposing the warehouses gives the area personality instead of tearing everything down and going all Katyville on it. 

Best way to make this area a neighborhood, rather than a string of big-box developments with large surface lot, is to clear the land, complete the street grid, and parcel the land into 3000 - 20,000 s.f. lots.  This would allow the area to develop organically into a mix of s.f. residential, small multi-family/condo buildings, retail, commercial and small-scale mixed use.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just found out my hair salon, Satori, will be moving to this space.  Move-in is slated for February 2015.

I would assume that their move is related to Rockefeller Hall leaving?  If so, do they have any idea what is going to happen to that property?

• 7 months later...

920x920.jpg1024x1024.jpg

Here's one way to get a big art party started: Bring beer.

The first retail tenant to sign on for the Washington Avenue Arts District's future Artist Alley project  is a new brewery.

Holler Brewing Co.  is so new it hasn't yet secured all of its permits, but Lovett Commercial vice president Liz Jacobs said the brewery has signed a lease to occupy a prime space within a large block of warehouses next to Silver Street Studios on Edwards Street.

Craft beer industry newcomers John and Kathryn Holler, who are married, are the talents behind the brewery. John Holler told the Houston Business Journal their plans include a tasting room and small-batch production facility. They haven't yet set a target opening date.

Developer Jon Deal, who has invested in the old industrial zone west of downtown for about a decade, is leading the effort to connect several sprawling studio and warehouse compounds between Sawyer and Silver Streets  into a more cohesive, 35-acre "creative campus" where visitors can also shop, eat and drink as well as visit more than 230 studios. The campus' central spine will be a shaded promenade called Artist Alley.

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/New-brewery-coming-to-new-Art-Alley-6385056.php#photo-8310053

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Yup this is exactly what houston needs. Agreed with BFS.... This is what needs to happen to the post office site. If they could develop a similar concept on a grander/denser scale AND seamlessly connect it to buffalo bayou park Houston would have a true world class market.

• Like 3

Yup this is exactly what houston needs. Agreed with BFS.... This is what needs to happen to the post office site. If they could develop a similar concept on a grander/denser scale AND seamlessly connect it to buffalo bayou park Houston would have a true world class market.

With your insider knowledge something tells me this isn't just a hopeful dream of yours...

• 2 months later...

So Lovett is going to drop some bombs soon, neat.

From the get go, I couldn't understand why people were disappointed with Lovett getting that site. I was excited... Most will disagree with me, but I think we'll see something cooler than even Midway or Hines could offer. 

From the get go, I couldn't understand why people were disappointed with Lovett getting that site. I was excited... Most will disagree with me, but I think we'll see something cooler than even Midway or Hines could offer.

Easy killer. There's nothing wrong with going towards a proven model, but I'm still interested to see how it turns out.

• 2 months later...

Hosting Day for Night fest here was a great idea; really hope they continue doing this, or somehow incorporate the idea into the new Post Office site.

They actually had the Post Office parking lot open for parking for DfN, so I assume Lovett had a part in putting together the festival. Also, what an amazing idea holding a music fest in the winter rather than the summer in Htown. It felt amazing out there.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...