Heights Central Station: Mixed-Use Development At 1050 Yale St.

s3mh

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A BRAND NEW multi-building mixed-use development is planned for the site of the former Heights Finance Station post office, which shut down at the end of last year afterbeing declared “no longer necessary” by USPS.  The land on 11th St. between Heights Blvd. and Yale St. will move on, change its name to a less-stodgy Heights Central Station,and start a new life as the site of multiple 2-story lowrises housing ground-floor retail and restaurants with office spaces on top.

http://swamplot.com/jilted-heights-post-office-spot-to-move-on-as-a-new-mixed-use-lowrise-complex/2016-02-12/

A Houston developer plans to replace a shuttered U.S. Post Office building in the Heights with a two-story mixed-use development with space for office, shops and restaurants.

The full-acre property was scooped up by MFT Interests last month and the development company is in the planning stages of bringing a low-rise project dubbed Heights Central Station to the corner of Yale and 11th streets, said Glenn Clements, the development group's chief financial officer.

The existing 1970s-era structure will be demolished. The project will include a pair of two-story buildings with office space on the upper floors and retail on the ground. The developers hope to attract professionals and fitness studios in the office space and perhaps two restaurants and up to eight shops at ground level.

Clements said MFT wants the project to have a "retro feeling" to it."We're building it in 2016 but it will look like 1916," he said. Construction is slated to begin later this year and they hope to have the shell of the buildings completed by mid-2017.

1024x1024.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/heights/business/article/Mural-to-be-part-of-Heights-mixed-use-project-6870298.php#photo-9407543

A mural by a local art teacher and her students will be part of the redevelopment of a former U.S. Post Office  that is being converted into a mixed-use project in the Heights.

MFT Interests, the Houston developer that purchased the former post office at 1050 Yale, said local art teacher at Hogg Elementary Kati Ozanic-Lemberger and her students will paint a mural on the Heights building that will be viewable from Heights Boulevard. The students will paint the mural next week.

A large mural by @wileyart, @ackzilla, and @annaveewins has already been painted on the Yale-facing side of the building - can't find a single pic of the entire width, but here are a couple of Instagram posts of the left and right sections:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCMD7FKkKvL/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCWVW0Ol3OK/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, s3mh said:

Yuck.  Seems like they are pandering in a big way to Starbucks with the coffee shop drive through design.  Otherwise, it is just a terribly dull strip mall.

or any coffee shop that wants to print money.

Nextdoor crowd really likes it too. The developer spoke a lot about it...

wow, they're rough over there on swamplot, lol. we first looked at doing an "urban style" development using a chapter 42 exception, up on 11th street. tenants have trouble getting their heads around that kind of design with 2 storefronts, and it makes me have to cut down trees that we are trying to protect with the Yale Street Green Corridor, which we helped to get into place. Not to mention it doesn't allow a drive through for the indie coffee shop we are working with (NOT Starbucks). also note the stained wood storefronts inspired by turn of the century commercial buildings. (like the firehouse on 12th). we tried to create a design that had a nod to the old style but has a modern appeal too. parking is a city code/tenant demand issue. i would LOVE to not have to pave so much, but this is a car town...just how it is. some prospective tenants think there isn't ENOUGH parking. tenant demand is a huge driver in the design. 

-signed the developer that lives just blocks from the site, in a hundred year old bungalow

On 5/17/2016 at 10:57 AM, Triton said:

Wow, guess I'm in the minority. I really like it.

I like. I sure don't love it, but I like it.

The source of my negativity is because I'm soon to be living in Tanglewood and often run past this very building. It's mostly just personal desire and neighborhood partisanship, but I feel every development that isn't Elan Heights puts a damper on my day.

The developer is on Nextdoor. He said the renderings that were posted last week show the design that was agreed upon with the secured tenants... after months of trying to finalize how everything should fit together. Pretty sure the design won't change that much from this point moving forward.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, s3mh said:

This is not on the agenda.  They must have gotten an earful and went back to the drawing board.

How do you know? Are you opening a second location here? ;)

4 hours ago, Triton said:

How do you know? Are you opening a second location here? ;)

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/commiss_hahc.html

Public information plus a very reasonable supposition.  The application was posted earlier this month, but taken down before the HAHC action reports came out.  You generally do not pull down your application if you get a big thumbs up from HAHC.  

3 minutes ago, s3mh said:

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/commiss_hahc.html

Public information plus a very reasonable supposition.  The application was posted earlier this month, but taken down before the HAHC action reports came out.  You generally do not pull down your application if you get a big thumbs up from HAHC.  

Ah ok... I was honestly just hoping you were going to say yes. haha Heard there was a planned coffee shop here.

Revised Plans for Heights Central Station, Heights Blvd. at 11th St., Houston Heights

If you did not click on the swamplot story, here is the rendering for the coffee shop.  Very nice.  Looks like a little train depot.  Now the "Heights Station" name actually works.  Be sure to email HAHC when this gets back on the agenda and let them know your thoughts on the revised design.  

Much better but the architectural design doesn't match the neighborhood at all. Wish they'd update it to more closely resemble the Lola strip center across the street - that would help tie it in in a more timeless fashion.

Archived