Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

Yep, all officially off the map - I guess the franchise just couldn't hack it here.

http://www.pitapitus...ain.php?page=48

I think the new restaurant is this one (from B4-U-EAT:):

The Fish Place

5887 Westheimer Rd (Coming Soon)

Houston TX 77057

The Sugar Land location also changed over to the Fish Place.

"Fish" seems like the wrong word for a seafood lunch spot, imo.

Why? Whats wrong with fish for lunch?

Brand linguistics and perceived connotations. There's nothing wrong with "fish" for lunch, but compare it to some testable market research and you'll find words like "seafood" are more likely to generate positive connotations.

Words matter.

Edited by LegacyTree
  • Like 1

But I like fish AND seafood!

Hmmm...Maybe Pita Pit suffered from poor brand linguistics? Maybe if they were the Pita Palace (or Shawarma King...)

Shawarma King already exists in Houston. My *guess* is that the availability of authentic middle-eastern food in Houston is one reason that Pita Pit failed. Like you said earlier, who wants an Anglicized version of middle-eastern food? Kind of defeats the point. But maybe there's an opening for Fadi's or Shawarma King to open a chain of small takeout restaurants...

The only time I had Pita Pit was in Portland around 3am (delayed flight, no dinner, blah blah) - the food was good and it was the only place near me I could find that was open.

Does anyone know if any of the former Houston locations were open that late? That was a major draw..

• 1 month later...

I really wish they'd get the Bayou City Arts Festival out of Memorial Park. It's a terrible location for such a big event. There's no parking and only two ways into and out of the park.

I went jogging this afternoon and the park was getting trashed.

I really hated seeing people have such total disregard for the park (parking on lawns/fields, not putting their trash in the trashcans, smoking and walking 6 abreast on the trail, etc...).

I went to the festival and didn't notice people parking on the grass and generally saw a bunch of well-behaved arts-n-crafts browsers. I assume (but don't know for sure) that most of the attendees came by the free shuttle buses provided. One from Northwest mall (I took that one) and one from downtown somewhere.

Sorry we spoiled your jog.

Edited by Robert W. Boyd

• 1 year later...

Yes.

The drought has taken its toll. I've heard lots of stories in the Spring Branch area about limbs falling and dangerous trees needing to come down. Not only has the lack of water taken its toll, but I've also heard stories of older trees are being ravaged by beetles the past few months.

I don't know specifically what the orange X means, but I imagine you're right. I also heard that the Parks Dept considers it cheaper to preemptively remove a dead tree, then to let it fall on its own and potentially hurt a healthier tree on its way down or to let it lie there for weeks, until it's noticed, killing ground cover.

Edited by Highway6

• 1 year later...

I don't know if this topic has been brought up already, after all this is not breaking news. But every time I drive by or through it, I can't help but be in awe at how many trees have died and at how awful it looks. The restoration process is going to take 20-30 years at least. I'll be an old man by the time it returns to its old form.

Does anyone know what their plan is and when they will start replanting trees? This is going to take a huge philanthropic endeavor.

I'm assuming they all died from the drought or was there a disease as well?

While driving by yesterday it looks like the mulch they put in the medians was wood chips. Are they from the dead trees?

Edited by lockmat

Couldn't agree more.  The volume of trees removed is staggering... and ongoing (the view from 610 is starting to look pretty horrendous as the dead-wood is dragged out).  A 'replant Memorial Park' campaign started last year, and you can see the baby trees around the loop.  I read somewhere that volunteers have planted thousands of trees in Memorial, but It's a drop in the bucket and will take 30 years to get the canopy back to what it was.  Stupid drought.

Link to the Memorial Park conservancy website:  http://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/

(Side note, the rodeo gave them $250,000 which is pretty great)

I love that park.  

• Like 1

Give them a couple of years.   Remember,  it's basically a giant construction zone right now.    Being worked on my mainly non-profits.      Won't have the same expediency as if say Hines was in there directing construction and waiting on the payoff at the finish.

It WILL look a lot diffent than the old overgrown jungle of invasive species that it was.   It will be much more open  (and usable - nice bonus) and healthy and in five years barring more droughts of a lifetime - it should look pretty good.      It will have a mix of the surviving old large trees and a lot of new young trees that will mature over time.

• Like 3