Memorial Park At 6501 Memorial Dr.

I miss puffy tacos. :( No one has them in Houston. (or at least not that I know of....)

loma linda's are usually puffy. they fry em there.

edit: the uniformity of that henry's one is unique.

Edited by musicman

It's the Pita version of Subway. I had one in Seattle and it was pretty good. It doesn't compare to some family-run shops (Shawarma King on Hillcroft is my favorite), but it's still good. It'd be great if they built one of these close by in Midtown.

The Pita Pit on the corner of Fountainview and Westheimer (5887 Westheimer) is no more, it never even opened. They just got the sign up. The landlord put the suite up for lease.

BTW, visit their website, have you seen a more ridiculous mascot?

pitapit_adpages.jpg

I understanding the whole "take your product and add human features" to make a mascot, but this pita face borders on creepy.

The one in the Greenway Plaza food court closed. I didn't care for it much personally. I found everything I tried to be incredibly salty. I'm still surprised they closed. It seemed fairly popular.

One problem I see with this is its going to put the cyclists and joggers in conflict. There has been a nice truce in Memorial Park with the joggers on the dirt trail on the North side of Memorial and the cyclists on the paved trail on the South side, and on Picnic Circle. I had always thought this was largely because jogging on dirt is more low-impact for a jogger than paving, and because paving is better for a bicycle.

Dirt is much better for bicycles! Where is the challenge in riding a bike on smooth pavement? That is just plain boring. If I couldn't ride my bike on dirt trails, I wouldn't ride it at all.

Dirt is much better for bicycles! Where is the challenge in riding a bike on smooth pavement? That is just plain boring. If I couldn't ride my bike on dirt trails, I wouldn't ride it at all.

For dirt bikes and hybrids.. yes. For road bikes, not so much.

You find riding a bike on gravel or dirt to be challenging ?

• 2 weeks later...
I really wish they'd get the Bayou City Arts Festival out of Memorial Park. It's a terrible location for such a big event. There's no parking and only two ways into and out of the park.

The park location sucks for this event. A woman I work with is on the board of a number of arts groups including the festival. According to her, they are trying to have both the spring and fall events downtown but it's .... complicated. My partner and I have friends who fly in to show at the festivals, and everyone we talk with, visitors, artists, patrons, dislike the Memorial Park venue. I think it's just a matter of time.

or, THE DISCOVERY GREEN.

Ample parking and I am sure the downtown restaurants, the Pavilions, and even the hotels would love to have the spillover business.

I am not kidding you when I tell you that it took me 37 minutes to run around the park but almost one full hour to get out of the park when I was finished jogging. The traffic was terrible. I feel sorry for anyone who had a golf or tennis game lined up as I saw one guy carrying his clubs from the corner of the park near the railroad tracks!

Memorial Park is a terrible venue for this festival. That said, it was nice to see so many people walking and enjoying the day (people were walking from Wescott, from the West Loop, from all over the park, etc...)

• Like 1

or, THE DISCOVERY GREEN.

Ample parking and I am sure the downtown restaurants, the Pavilions, and even the hotels would love to have the spillover business.

I am not kidding you when I tell you that it took me 37 minutes to run around the park but almost one full hour to get out of the park when I was finished jogging. The traffic was terrible. I feel sorry for anyone who had a golf or tennis game lined up as I saw one guy carrying his clubs from the corner of the park near the railroad tracks!

Memorial Park is a terrible venue for this festival. That said, it was nice to see so many people walking and enjoying the day (people were walking from Wescott, from the West Loop, from all over the park, etc...)

I attended the BCAF last weekend and thought the park was a PERFECT place for it. I have been to the one in Downtown twice - it's ok but very urban feeling. I loved having all the booths essentially in a big circle so you didn't even have to plan a path through the event. The art seemed to be even more highlighted when it was surrounded by trees instead of being towered over by downtown skyrises.

Attendees shouldn't have been trying to park at Memorial since there were free shuttles from off-site locations. We parked at the NW mall and hopped on a bus right to the ticket booth. It was simple and fast. no driving around for a far-away spot that was taking away from other non-BCAF-park-patrons' parking options.

just my 2 cents.

Cool thanks for the info. Memorial park is long due for an upgrade. I saw a jogger almost get killed by a stray hubcap the other day. They need to put a nice fence up against memorial.

Jeez, I just got back from San Fransico and if you think Memorial is bad, you should see Highway One, The PCH. One false move and you're dead. No gaurd rails, no shoulder....just a loooooooong way down. A flying "hub cap" (do they exist anymore?) is nothing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
The Pita Pit on the corner of Fountainview and Westheimer (5887 Westheimer) is no more, it never even opened. They just got the sign up. The landlord put the suite up for lease.

BTW, visit their website, have you seen a more ridiculous mascot?

pitapit_adpages.jpg

I understanding the whole "take your product and add human features" to make a mascot, but this pita face borders on creepy.

Scratch that, it opened this weekend.

I guess the sign was for next door.

It would be kinda tough to eat in that location, remembering what was in there previously. :D

The "World News Stand" Adult Video Shop :P. I think that was on the corner, this is the next rental space next to the corner.

I could be wrong though.

Edited by Pumapayam

• 8 months later...

This thread is making me hungry. And I'm stuck on the UH campus, where my choices include a couple of pizza huts and a chick fil-A. sad.gif

wendy's too, and a subway in the Law school right? not bad, where i went to school i had no choice but campus food or subway (which is good but gets old fast when its the only option).

i had pita pit once in orlando. i was drunk and not impressed, maybe i'll give it a shot sober.

I ate at that Pita Pit on Westheimer and Fountainview once...I thought it was pretty miserable, especially for the price they charged. There are many, many more options around that part of town for better food at a better price. It seemed to be an Anglicized version of shawarma...kinda like eating a burrito from McDonald's.