Apples New iPhones and the new Apple Watch

iphone is too limited in terms of piracy for me. no torrents, no NES or SNES emulators. Can they even read SD Cards yet?

No SD cards for iPhones. I can expand my S5 to 128GB for the price of the microSD card, about $100. The 32GB card I currently use was under $20.

I will be upgrading my iPhone 5....not sure about the watch yet, will have to check that out a bit more before deciding.....love the new style and size of the iPhone 6 and iOS 8 is a nice evolution (I have been using the developer version for a few months now)....the integration with OS X is slick.  The new ApplePay is a nice addition also....

I think I am going to order one when they are released, only thing is I don't like the size of the iPhone 6 Plus and feel like I would be missing out with some features if I don't get it, which sucks.

I have a Note 3 for my work phone, but would like to have another personal iPhone. I just don't need a phone as big as the Note 3.

I think I am going to order one when they are released, only thing is I don't like the size of the iPhone 6 Plus and feel like I would be missing out with some features if I don't get it, which sucks.

I have a Note 3 for my work phone, but would like to have another personal iPhone. I just don't need a phone as big as the Note 3.

The only things the 6+ has over the 6 are bigger battery, higher resolution/larger screen, and image stabilization (all good things for sure)....I haven't been able to find any other differences, if there are, please correct me because Im still debating which one to pick also (Im leaning towards the 6 because of the size)

The only things the 6+ has over the 6 are bigger battery, higher resolution/larger screen, and image stabilization (all good things for sure)....I haven't been able to find any other differences, if there are, please correct me because Im still debating which one to pick also (Im leaning towards the 6 because of the size)

The 6 Plus also has some features in the messaging app that are not available on the 6 (user avatars and a split-pane display in the summary view). It also supports a landscape-mode home screen. 

I have a 2-year-old 5, so I'll probably upgrade to the 6. The 6 Plus is nice but it's bigger than I'd prefer to carry around. It's too bad they didn't incorporate OIS on the 6, but that's not a deal-breaker for me.  

Don't really have any interest in the Apple Watch at all, but I'll reserve judgment until I've had a chance to check one out in person. 

LOL - it goes back and forth like that every time a new device is released...

Yep - it's the mobile-device version of the endless "Mac vs. PC vs. Linux" debates that used to be unavoidable in tech circles. I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to OSes - in our household, all our desktops and laptops are running Win7 and our primary mobile devices are running iOS, but I've also got a Kindle Fire and a Chromebook. 

Honestly, I think I am going to stick with just the 4.7 inch iPhone. I believe that the added Image Stabilization is because the phone is so large that it is harder to take still pictures compared to a smaller phone. At least that is my personal experience with the Note 3.

The Plus does have better battery life due to the bigger battery. And from what I can tell, the higher resolution of the screens is also needed due to screen size, but my feeling is if you lay them side by side you wouldn't even be able to notice the difference in clarity.

One thing I do like about the Plus though is the landscape mode and how it takes advantage of screen real-estate. But I don't know if that is worth it to me. I will have to wait for more reviews to come out personally. 

I'm probably going for the 6+ to replace my 4s.  Originally I was a bit put off by the size, but then I measured it out and found that it's roughly the size of a checkbook (remember those?) and close enough to the weight of the current unit that I likely won't notice it - if anything, since it's thinner it'll probably ride in my pocket better than the 4s.  I end up getting mail attachments frequently, so the extra real estate will be useful.  My office is very Mac centric and I've tired of feeding my inner geek incessantly, so the integration with OSX is more important to me than the bells and whistles of an Android device.  My retreat from the bleeding edge also means that I'm going to wait until after Halloween to get one.

It would be amusing, though, if I could find something or another that would call up a blinking green c: prompt on a black screen.

Why do android users get so defensive when apple announces a new phone? My personal phone is apple but my work phone is a galaxy, and there is NO difference other than screen size.

I wouldn't say defensive... just tired of Apple taking advantage of people by offering tech that's been around for years at $$$ prices.

Why do android users get so defensive when apple announces a new phone? My personal phone is apple but my work phone is a galaxy, and there is NO difference other than screen size.

I'm in the opposite boat, I had a Nexus for personal and an iPhone 5 for work use (recently moved my personal number to google voice and forward it to my work phone so I pay nothing for phone service). The only reason the iPhone is nice is the tie in to the Exchange Server/address book/calendar, that work takes care of. Of course I could do all this stuff manually with my android, but the interface wasn't as good. And if they chose to, it would be just as good on Android with the servers set up correctly. Personally I would pick android over iOS any day. And I'm not anti-Mac or anything, i love MacOS (over Windows). But iPhone doesn't allow any flexibility or user control. Say I want to add a personal MP3 to my phone. Or a ring tone. The number of steps on the iPhone and the tools you have to use are a pain (for me). I also love widgets and customizing my home screen. Also google now is really nice. Say i search for something in google or on maps, its all integrated to my Android already. I can use the google search app for iPhone, but then if I want to share a webpage I have no options. I have to open in Safari to give me direct access to my messages or email to share anything. Such a pain.. But its free for me so I should stop complaining.

My iPhone 5 is only a couple of years old, so I'll wait a while to upgrade. 

For anyone that has an iPhone 5 that's in the same age range, it would be worthwhile to check the serial number at the following link. Apple is replacing the batteries at no charge for certain serial numbers that were sold between September 2012 and January 2013:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

I had ordered both my own and my wife's phone almost as soon as they were available (we were still using 3-year-old 3GSes at the time), and sure enough, when I checked the serials, both of our phones were eligible for this program. I made an appointment at the Highland Village Apple Store last week and had mine replaced, It took about an hour. Note that you'll need to do a full backup of the phone beforehand, as they will erase all data and settings prior to performing the service. 

It seems like the long-term battery lifecycle is really the Achilles heel for iPhones - the one in my 5 had definitely started to show its age, sometimes requiring me to charge it 2-3 times a day when I used to be able to get by with a single daily charge when it was new (as expected, the new battery has fixed this problem). And my 3GS had taken to going from a 30-50% charge to randomly shutting down and forcing me to plug the phone into a power source before it would even turn on again.  

I'm probably going for the 6+ to replace my 4s.  Originally I was a bit put off by the size, but then I measured it out and found that it's roughly the size of a checkbook (remember those?) and close enough to the weight of the current unit that I likely won't notice it - if anything, since it's thinner it'll probably ride in my pocket better than the 4s.  I end up getting mail attachments frequently, so the extra real estate will be useful.  My office is very Mac centric and I've tired of feeding my inner geek incessantly, so the integration with OSX is more important to me than the bells and whistles of an Android device.  My retreat from the bleeding edge also means that I'm going to wait until after Halloween to get one.

It would be amusing, though, if I could find something or another that would call up a blinking green c: prompt on a black screen.

You need this...

http://www.secretgeometry.com/apps/cathode/

(sigh...) and we still whine about how slow our connection is...

Remember the good old days (wow, I sound old)....when you got the AOL upgrade from 2400 to 9600 baud and it was the best thing ever !!   And the screeches while it was connecting.....and then the waiting to hear  "You've Got Mail" !!

Archived