One Skyline Or As It Is Now?

Dariusb

I'm of the opinion that it will eventually grow into 1 large skyline spanning North-South from Downtown-Midtown-Musuem District-TMC.  East-west from Downtown-Allen Parkway/Buffalo Bayou-Upper Kirby-Greenway-Uptown.  It won't be solid, but it will be much tighter nit than it currently is.   ...of course this is probably in 25-45 years when we've added double the people we currently have living here (provided they all move).

I like that it is spread out (although sometimes a bit too far). We don't have a wonderful geographical feature, such as Downtown on an island between two rivers, a major waterfront, or mountains. I like seeing different skylines and buildings profiled on certain roads and certain views.

I would much rather prefer one skyline. Like Subdude said, one large skyline aesthetically looks better and makes it feel like you're in a bigger city. I'm always amazed when I travel to Seattle and visit their downtown. Despite being a much smaller city than Houston, it feels larger because there is constant density over a large area.

In terms of skyline one of the things I wish we had are some rises where you could see it in the distance.  We were back in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago and I'm always awed by the skyline, particularly at night, when viewed from one of the many hills on the north side of town.

If not one skyline, it would be nice if all of the skylines were inside of 610. Uptown would be where River Oaks is and River Oaks would be where Uptown is. 

Leave the Woodlands skyline where it is. I like how that area is is becoming a whole other city.

I prefer a city with life around its tall buildings, not parking lots, empty lots and shopping centers you have to drive to. Houston is finally sort of realizing the value in urban design.

Personally, I kinda enjoy having a variety of skylines.  That way people who are occupying one skyline have something to look at other than our generally pool table-esque landscape, which would otherwise be punctuated only by rooftops and nighttime lights. 

I'm of the opinion that it will eventually grow into 1 large skyline spanning North-South from Downtown-Midtown-Musuem District-TMC.  East-west from Downtown-Allen Parkway/Buffalo Bayou-Upper Kirby-Greenway-Uptown.  It won't be solid, but it will be much tighter nit than it currently is.   ...of course this is probably in 25-45 years when we've added double the people we currently have living here (provided they all move).

It's actually coming together pretty quickly, at least from certain angles.  I just happened to pass over the 610 Ship Channel bridge yesterday afternoon and was a little surprised at how continuous the skyline is becoming.  Awesome view from that bridge!

If not one skyline, it would be nice if all of the skylines were inside of 610. Uptown would be where River Oaks is and River Oaks would be where Uptown is. 

Leave the Woodlands skyline where it is. I like how that area is is becoming a whole other city.

I prefer a city with life around its tall buildings, not parking lots, empty lots and shopping centers you have to drive to. Houston is finally sort of realizing the value in urban design.

Yeah, I can agree with this.

Great topic. Am torn on my personal response. If HTown was close knit, say all high-rises within the 610 loop or even DT area, it may add to the urbanity of the city,but what would make us stand out from every other city in the US? Let's be honest, we don't have many 1000 plus footers to stick out above the rest. Personally, I enjoy the unique nature of our multiple skylines. Like another poster said, different angles and such. I have said it in other posts, I am reminded of this book I read in college. It is set in circa 2500 or maybe even 3000. But the cover depicting Houston had linked all of the business centers into one continuous urban landscape. Truly awesome.

I have said it in other posts, I am reminded of this book I read in college. It is set in circa 2500 or maybe even 3000. But the cover depicting Houston had linked all of the business centers into one continuous urban landscape. Truly awesome.

What book was that?

It's actually coming together pretty quickly, at least from certain angles. I just happened to pass over the 610 Ship Channel bridge yesterday afternoon and was a little surprised at how continuous the skyline is becoming. Awesome view from that bridge!

I do remember reading in HAIF that the Ship Channel allowed an optical illusion of lining up all the skylines to appear as if there's one giant skyline.

I do remember reading in HAIF that the Ship Channel allowed an optical illusion of lining up all the skylines to appear as if there's one giant skyline.

The Ned. Center is the only one disconected from this skyline, so it's not in the picture belie, but you can see Downtown and greenway/uptown-galleria area in the distance.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrTcXFynQ1UreQACQyJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIzZjB0YWxvBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANhOGJiMTc5YTcwMTI4Yzg0MDdkN2NkZjRlYjBmMjA3MgRncG9zAzE4BGl0A2Jpbmc-?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dhouston%2Bskyline%2Bship%2Bchanel%26vm%3Dr%26fr%3Diphone%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D18&w=800&h=530&imgurl=farm1.static.flickr.com%2F96%2F210930247_234245e034_o.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.skyscraperpage.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D182688&size=164.9KB&name=flickr+OneEighteen&p=houston+skyline+ship+channel&oid=a8bb179a70128c8407d7cdf4eb0f2072&fr2=piv-web&fr=iphone&rw=houston+skyline+ship+channel&tt=flickr+OneEighteen&b=0∋=21&no=18&ts=&vm=r&tab=organic&sigr=11n9j6r2l&sigb=13ni5t08f&sigi=11lba6grs&sigt=10i4e1q6m&sign=10i4e1q6m&.crumb=pVRyaO.j7tV&fr=iphone&fr2=piv-web

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrTcXFynQ1UreQACQyJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIzZjB0YWxvBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANhOGJiMTc5YTcwMTI4Yzg0MDdkN2NkZjRlYjBmMjA3MgRncG9zAzE4BGl0A2Jpbmc-?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dhouston%2Bskyline%2Bship%2Bchanel%26vm%3Dr%26fr%3Diphone%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D18&w=800&h=530&imgurl=farm1.static.flickr.com%2F96%2F210930247_234245e034_o.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.skyscraperpage.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D182688&size=164.9KB&name=flickr+OneEighteen&p=houston+skyline+ship+channel&oid=a8bb179a70128c8407d7cdf4eb0f2072&fr2=piv-web&fr=iphone&rw=houston+skyline+ship+channel&tt=flickr+OneEighteen&b=0∋=21&no=18&ts=&vm=r&tab=organic&sigr=11n9j6r2l&sigb=13ni5t08f&sigi=11lba6grs&sigt=10i4e1q6m&sign=10i4e1q6m&.crumb=pVRyaO.j7tV&fr=iphone&fr2=piv-web

What book was that?

Been looking for it for years now. I read it one summer along with Songs of Distant Earth when I spent a spring break in Galveston, circa 1987. Don't even remember specific details, but it was set in HTown in the future, had a cyborg, super intelligent monkey, and NASA was the end all be all in TX. Would love to find it and read it again.

Been looking for it for years now. I read it one summer along with Songs of Distant Earth when I spent a spring break in Galveston, circa 1987. Don't even remember specific details, but it was set in HTown in the future, had a cyborg, super intelligent monkey, and NASA was the end all be all in TX. Would love to find it and read it again.

Sounds interesting.  If you remember what the name is, please post it here, thanks.

I have another question: do any of you see any of Houston's other skylines besides Uptown/Downtown growing together or at least much closer, for example Downtown/TMC?

I actually see Downtown/TMC growing closer together before Uptown/Downtown do. It is a much shorter distance and Midtown and the Museum district are already semi-developed in between these two skylines. Herman Park prevents them from officially connecting, but I can see the stretch of area from Downtown to TMC being fully developed in the future.

I think the likelihood of Downtown and TMC connecting is a lot better than Downtown and Uptown.  If that happens, Herman Park can be like Central Park for Houston, surrounded by highrises, sure would look nice :) The area is also very desirable so Midtown will eventually get fully developed and connect them both.

I think the likelihood of Downtown and TMC connecting is a lot better than Downtown and Uptown.  If that happens, Herman Park can be like Central Park for Houston, surrounded by highrises, sure would look nice :) The area is also very desirable so Midtown will eventually get fully developed and connect them both.

Man! That sure would be a site to see

We , those of us who are 40 plus, may not see it. But if you all are able to visualize, in 40 to 50 years, I see all of the inner 610 loop connecting. Hermann, Memorial an other assorted parks with alway break the urbanity, but I foresee 20 plus storey Highrises dotting the inner loop that will be reminiscent of 20s 30s New York.

Does any of you think that the trend of suburban shopping centers, suburban aparment complexes and subruban houses is over with for inner city Houston, or will that trend continue? I like that more "urban" development is going up in the city, but I hate that noting really matches up as in a larger over all plan for the city as a whole. Its just spots of development, no large overall area to just walk around and enjoy the urban environment. No area for tourist and locals to walk around and congregate.

Does any of you think that the trend of suburban shopping centers, suburban aparment complexes and subruban houses is over with for inner city Houston, or will that trend continue? I like that more "urban" development is going up in the city, but I hate that noting really matches up as in a larger over all plan for the city as a whole. Its just spots of development, no large overall area to just walk around and enjoy the urban environment. No area for tourist and locals to walk around and congregate.

It's not over, look at Katyville. Suburban development will continue in our core until land prices push them up when it's feasible to build only up. That and we get a little more mass transit.

I prefer one big skyline. That being said, I would prefer the med district and Downtown to eventually merge into one long skyline. Those two are still on the "main grid" and have a building density, representative of a larger cities. 

Uptown, or the galleria area as a skyline is very spread out to me. And at the street level, at times has very suburban elements to it. 

• The title was changed to One Skyline Or As It Is Now?

Archived