Energy Corridor Skyline Update

Dariusb

Without mass transit and it not being as easily accessible compared to Downtown and the TMC, my guess is that it will reach a tipping point where it can't grow further due to traffic problems and street layouts. It will get bigger, but there are more "obstacles" it has compared to Downtown and TMC.

Energy Corridor has more office space than Uptown and with so much construction should be close to Downtown.

I'm not calling your bluff, but do you have a source? Do you have the current totals for all sub-markets and total under construction / proposed?

This idea has no basis but I would have thought the energy corridor was on the same level as Westchase/Greenway Plaza.

The EC may be bigger, but it will not have the number of residential highrises, nor will it ever likely have the same density of hotels as Uptown.

Also, the EC has the must mundane and boring skyline (if it really counts as one) in town - heck, even Greenspoint is more interesting!  Uptown is far more interesting, and while perhaps square footage of office spaces are smaller the architecture is of a much higher quality (Randall Davis and the Mercer notwithstanding).

I'm really never clear why people love the EC so much?  If anything its existence has greatly dimenished the density of Westchase, Memorial City and the inner Beltway I-10 frontage areas.

The EC may be bigger, but it will not have the number of residential highrises, nor will it ever likely have the same density of hotels as Uptown.

Also, the EC has the must mundane and boring skyline (if it really counts as one) in town - heck, even Greenspoint is more interesting!  Uptown is far more interesting, and while perhaps square footage of office spaces are smaller the architecture is of a much higher quality (Randall Davis and the Mercer notwithstanding).

I'm really never clear why people love the EC so much?  If anything its existence has greatly dimenished the density of Westchase, Memorial City and the inner Beltway I-10 frontage areas.

You have to remember that other people may have a different point of view than you. Some people don't like density. A lot of people want a big yard and a huge house. That's not something that's important to me but I understand that in Houston I am probably in the minority on that issue. 

Most likely it's because most people aren't looking for high-quality or unusual architecture or are particularly concerned about it's skyline.  It's existence means that the many people who work there don't have to drive all the way downtown to work and thus can live in surrounding communities with lower prices than inside the loop and a shorter commute.  Besides, the EC straddles Terry Hershey park and is a generally pleasant area.  Given that EC, Westchase, Memorial City and the inner Beltway areas are all pretty much suburban in style and density (as is almost all of Houston), I don't think removing the EC would make a significant impact in density, even if it were possible.

Look, I wasn't attacking people for working or living nearby to the EC.  I'm just saying that if its 14 or 10 million (whatever it is) sq ft. that size would have added to an existing area closer in quite well.

As a "district" its very raw.  The buildings are largely uninspired - architecturally they're weak - and the distance between the western and eastern most points is considerable.  As a commercial real estate zone its no doubt quite strong, but its just got a long way to go to be anything greater than the sum of its parts.  That's all.

And when I speak of density I'm not saying it needs to be like Midtown NYC!  Just saying that it might have been nice to have a more cohesive feel to the "district."  Again, its large, but far from in charge.  Uptown, TMC and Downtown will always be much greater than this linear stretch of tilt-walls, and spec 14 floor buildings designed in revit.

Check this out. 

http://www.coydavidson.com/houston/q1-2014-houston-market-forecast-reports/

The full report has Katy Freeway larger than the Galleria Area.

These things are tricky, different sites calculate different numbers. 

For example, when I saw this last I was thinking both Energy Corridor and Uptown north of 30 Million Square Feet, not the 25 million listed here.

Edit: The Katy Freeway can include anything from Downtown to Katy (including Memorial City). The Energy Corridor does not stretch this entirety as it's only about 6 miles of the Katy Freeway from Kirkwood to Barker Cypress. I know I'm splitting hairs but when you say the Energy Corridor has more space than the Galleria area it's not true. Claiming it is catching up to Downtown isn't true either.

So I finally found it in the research tab...

Look, I wasn't attacking people for working or living nearby to the EC.  I'm just saying that if its 14 or 10 million (whatever it is) sq ft. that size would have added to an existing area closer in quite well.

As a "district" its very raw.  The buildings are largely uninspired - architecturally they're weak - and the distance between the western and eastern most points is considerable.  As a commercial real estate zone its no doubt quite strong, but its just got a long way to go to be anything greater than the sum of its parts.  That's all.

And when I speak of density I'm not saying it needs to be like Midtown NYC!  Just saying that it might have been nice to have a more cohesive feel to the "district."  Again, its large, but far from in charge.  Uptown, TMC and Downtown will always be much greater than this linear stretch of tilt-walls, and spec 14 floor buildings designed in revit.

District in the case is more of a governmental/development term.  The EC district works to improve the local infrastructure and beautification.  The Westchase district is much the same.  They've put up signage and beautified the area somewhat.  I think they are also behind some of the sidewalk improvements in the area.  They pushed Metro to get a circulator route in the area.  I don't think they have any influence whatsoever on the architecture of the area.

I don't think they have any influence whatsoever on the architecture of the area.

I know.  This is a discussion about the Energy Corridor becoming something bigger/better than what Uptown is.  To do that quality must pass quantity...at least in my perspective (architecturally speaking).

I've mentioned in the past that I define a district with greater constraints than what real estate types will.  To me the Energy Corridor is not a district, so much as it is a loosely defined real estate zone that is easier to identify with to potential buyers than Katy East, West Memorial City etc.

Again - I'm criticizing the architectural aspect of the "district" and the feel/look of the area.  Improvements are being made, but I doubt it will ever truly-truly feel like what Uptown does.  But then again, I'm sure the same could (and was) said of Uptown in the 1970s and look where we are today.  I'll be the first to admit I've been wrong in the past.

You are right on the look and feel, but this is how I look at it:  The EC is suburban in nature, Uptown is semi-urban in nature and TMC/Downtown are urban in nature.  For the foreseeable future I think they will remain this way and that's ok.  It's nice to have that kind of diversity in the same city and even within 20 to 30 minutes driving time of each other.  I'd rather have them be distinctly different styles than have it all one way or the other.

I agree with august948's characterization of the different areas.  Taking it a step further, The Woodlands Town Center is starting to get a bit semi urbanish, as well.

I also agree with arche's point to the effect that the buildings are generally pretty uninspired.  To me, many of them look like they might have been designed by the accounting department.  Not that everything downtown, on the West Loop/Post Oak, or in the TMC is all that and a box of cookies, either.

Great comments, everyone. I am not sure the EC will rival other more established business centers, but I am excited to see the freeway lined with great projects and I am once again reminded of the movie BrAzil. Houston is going to become one of the most prolific cities of this century. How it redefines itself is yet to be seen. I am still in search of a book I read around the same time I read Songs of Distant Earth. It had HTown spread out like 500 miles with several business centers, incorporating 100 plus storey skyscrapers in random places.

I used to kinda hate the EC. That stopped when I rode my bike the whole of the Barbara Terry Hershey trail. To ride along, taking in the beauty of the bayou and the trail, then to look up and see office towers(however bland) poking up from behind the pines, gives one a different perspective of the area.

I now understand the appeal.

But a skyline to rival uptown? One Word:

williams-tower-black-and-white_00438752.

Saying the EC will rival TMC and Uptown is like saying the buildings in Houston will rival downtown chicago. Yes, Houston has a lot of tall buildings that I'd you add them up they may amount to something approximately close to Chicago, but why compare 60 miles of skyline to 6 and then say they are both apples.

Downtown is downtown, it has no match.

TMC is TMC, it had no match.

Uptown, EC, Westchase, Greenspoint, and the rest are a dime a dozen. These can spring up in ten years anywhere abd look and feel the same. TMC and DT has unrivalled character that no where she in Texas confess close to.

Saying the EC will rival TMC and Uptown is like saying the buildings in Houston will rival downtown chicago. Yes, Houston has a lot of tall buildings that I'd you add them up they may amount to something approximately close to Chicago, but why compare 60 miles of skyline to 6 and then say they are both apples.

Downtown is downtown, it has no match.

TMC is TMC, it had no match.

Uptown, EC, Westchase, Greenspoint, and the rest are a dime a dozen. These can spring up in ten years anywhere abd look and feel the same. TMC and DT has unrivalled character that no where she in Texas confess close to.

I take your point for the most part.  However, from my office window Post Oak/West Loop is starting to look pretty dense, and is only getting denser.  It would probably support even more high rise development more easily if they'd only remembered to leave what little street grid there was in place, or even add to it.  Had that happened it would then be more walkable, rather than the nightmare of accessibility that it's become.

While I do think that the Energy Corridor will see some more unique development with big projects like Central Park and the redevelopment of the ExxonMobil Chemical campus, as well as the District's efforts to create some "signature" structure spanning the Katy Freeway, I doubt it'll ever reach the compact urbanesque quality of Uptown. The areas are just too different. The Energy Corridor is very spread out and far more constricted by low-density suburban housing than Uptown is. I think it's a very unique part of town with a lot of potential, but I really doubt future trends will have it competing with Uptown.

• 5 weeks later...

Energy corridor serves a different purpose than the skylines of downtown, uptown, and TMC. EC is a linear array of buildings that serve as a gateway entry/exit coming into/ out of Houston. It actually reminds me of Denver when entering into town on I-25 coming from south. It has many buildings lining the freeway like EC, just not nearly as massive.

BTW, i drove the EC the other day and was blown away by the amount of new buildings, midrises, and highrises that's gone up since I was last out there. It seems like one long stretch of nothing but big shiny buildings hovering over the Katy Freeway. I'm thinking, Houston is really one badass city in TX.

And what's the deal with everyone talking about Uptown like it's chopped liver in comparison to the TMC. Uptown is still the bigger, taller skyline and is definitely densifying in the area of the BLVD place development. Granted, TMC is denser, but that still doesn't take away from UT's overall mass.

I'll take the long row of shiny clean EC buildings along 1-10 over the junk scattered down I-45 any day.

You mean you don't love all those furniture and mattress stores?  What's wrong with you!

You and me both!  I'll admit that I-45 north of Downtown has been improved (ever so slightly) over the years with some additional plantings, but its still a long way to go before its even remotely nice.

The EC just bugs me in its scattered nature.  I seek order when it comes to urban(istic) zones, and the EC needs a little more.  Then of course there are forces working on the betterment of the Energy Corridor so thats good!

• The title was changed to Energy Corridor Skyline Update

Archived