New Dallas Developments

9 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Sounds alot better than a Sams Club. Sometimes localized neighborhood opposition to a questionable development makes for a better quality development in the end. Plus, the site is too prime for a Sams Club IMO. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas' midcentury Casa View Village shopping center gets a major makeover

Project Location

1536194031-casafront.jpg?w=1200&h=630&fo

Developers and city officials say the commuter consternation will be worth it early next year when a $10 million-plus makeover of the retail crossroads is done.

Casa View Village was once hailed as "a modern shopping center for one of the fastest growing areas of Dallas." But 60 years on from the grand opening, the retail district in northeast

Dallas was well past its prime when neighborhood leaders and city planners began crafting a redo.

Now construction is underway on upgrades for the shopping village that's at the heart of one Dallas' 1950s neighborhoods.

"We are 30 days into what we believe will be a 6- to 8-month renovation of the buildings at the northwest corner," said Daniel Fuller with Dallas' Shop Cos., which is redeveloping the landmark retail center.

Originally called Casa View Hills, the retail strips served growing post-World War II neighborhoods where you could buy a new house for less than $8,000. Built with antique brick and decorative wrought iron, the Casa View buildings that Shop Cos. is now rebuilding were described as "New Orleans-style."

The new owners plan to restore the buildings and bring in new retail and restaurant tenants.

"There are probably three or four tenants that have been there since 1954," Fuller said. "There is an art and science to merchandising a property that has the history Casa View has.

"We want to keep some of the tenants that have been there for a long time."

1536194138-casaviewold.jpg?auto=format&q

Award-winning Dallas architect Omniplan — the same firm that designed Liberty Mutual Insurance's huge new Plano regional offices and NorthPark Center shopping mall in Dallas — worked with Casa View's owners, residents and the city on a renovation plan.

"The neighborhood, you could tell, was once something really fantastic," said Omniplan's Amanda Buckley. "This project is about getting back to what it was.

"There is a lot of opportunity there," she said. "It's not like a standard suburban shopping center with no character."

"It's a wonderful eccentric property, and our goal is to do a sensitive restoration," Fuller said. "We want to preserve the original brick with the wonderful patina."

The storefront canopies will be restored, lights and signage upgraded and the central plaza reworked with new paving and landscaping.

"We are planting 60 new ornamental and shade trees at Casa View," Fuller said. "I think by year-end it will be quite a lot different."

Neighbors like what they are hearing and wish it could move even faster.

1536194239-casacourt.jpg?auto=format&q=5

On 9/13/2018 at 8:40 AM, intencity77 said:

Sounds alot better than a Sams Club. Sometimes localized neighborhood opposition to a questionable development makes for a better quality development in the end. Plus, the site is too prime for a Sams Club IMO. 

The primary difference is that it does not include the much-hated Sam's Club. Other than that, the differences between the original and this new development proposals are pretty minimal.

Edited by Houston19514

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

The primary difference is that it does not include the much-hated Sam's Club. Other than that, the differences between the original and and new development proposals are pretty minimal.

I disagree. Smaller shops, square footage-wise makes much better sense here in the inner city than one massive, big box retailer. 

14 hours ago, intencity77 said:

I disagree. Smaller shops, square footage-wise makes much better sense here in the inner city than one massive, big box retailer. 

The few smaller shops and structured parking substituted for some big box space is the minimal difference.  It's still a big box with acres of surface parking and some freeway-frontage pad sites.

Edited by Houston19514

Developers are betting smaller is better with new East Dallas rental project

1537821119-image006.jpg?w=1200&h=630&for

The 70-unit Fitzhugh Flats development will have 1-bedroom and studio apartments averaging just 615 square feet.

The project is being built east of downtown Dallas between Ross Avenue and Live Oak Street.

The project will include garages and covered parking spaces, storage units, a lounge and dog park for residents.

"Our goal is to provide a project that will appeal to the majority of renters in the market based on the price point" said Reid Beucler, principal of Slate Properties LLC.

"With projected rents starting around $1,200 per month, we feel like we are positioned well to compete with the other communities in the neighborhood."

Not a fan of the surface parking, but this is what Dallas needs more of - developments that fit the context of their neighborhood.

Look: Here’s what’s planned for the old Gloria’s

Screen-Shot-2018-05-30-at-8.47.49-AM.png

Project Location

Gloria’s restaurant moved to Fire Station No. 15 on Bishop at Davis in 2011, and the local chain’s original building, at the southeast corner of Davis and Llewellyn, was demolished in 2013.

The lot sat vacant for years until recently. A new restaurant building is under construction on the site now.

A listing from the Woodmont Co. says the building will comprise 2,546 square feet and have a 900-square-foot patio.

Dallas area lands two more huge Amazon shipping hubs

1538145620-amazonsouthport.jpg

Project Location

Amazon is expanding its warehousing operations with two huge fulfillment centers — one in West Dallas and another on Interstate 45 in southern Dallas County.

This week the Dallas City Council voted to give the Seattle-based Internet retailer about $2 million in economic incentives to build a more than $100 million distribution center in West Dallas that is expected to create 1,500 new jobs.

The 100-acre ecommerce facility will be located at 1301 Chalk Hill Road near Davis Street south of Interstate 30. Developer Hillwood Properties is building the huge shipping hub which will have 855,000 square feet.

Amazon already has nine major distribution and sorting centers in the D-FW area.

The company is just opening a more than 1-million-square foot shipping hub in Wilmer south of Dallas.

• 3 weeks later...

Uptown Dallas' new Central Market store will anchor a high-rise mixed-use project

1539890789-Project-Rendering-101818.jpg?

Project Location

The supermarket will be part of a high-rise development planned for the block at McKinney and Lemmon avenues that will include offices, shops and restaurants.

"We see this project as the unifier between Uptown and what's going on in Cityplace and the West Village," said KDC president Toby Grove.

Instead of just remodeling the existing building, Central Market will occupy the lower levels of a 19-story mixed-use project KDC plans for the high-profile Uptown block.

Dallas architect Omniplan and San Antonio design firm Lake|Flato are designing the development, which will take up most of the 4.8-acre block between McKinney and Oak Grove.

"It's going to be very well-connected with the DART rail station nearby and the street car that stops out front."

KDC plans to build a 2-acre public plaza on the roof of the Central Market that will have access to the office tower and shops and restaurants facing the elevated public space.

"Central Market shoppers will have parking on two levels of garage on top of the store," said KDC executive vice president Walt Mountford. "On top of that, the amenity deck will have great views of downtown.

"It's going to be a great experience for both the retail users and tenants in the office building."

"This will be largest store in Central Market's portfolio," Mountford said. "There will be a total of 150,000 square feet of retail in the entire project.

"This activates the entire street frontage, and it will be a great pedestrian experience."

The planned Uptown store will be Central Market's seventh location in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

1539947384-centralmarket.jpg?auto=format

KDC will seek zoning changes for the Uptown block to allow the construction of the development, including asking for an additional 85 feet in building height.

The 450,000-square-foot office tower is being made taller to allow for the plaza area on the south side.

The Office of James Burnett — the same firm that did downtown's Klyde Warren Park — is designing the plaza and street-side landscaping.

"This will be the longest storefront on McKinney Avenue," said KDC senior vice president Colin Fitzgibbons. "The pedestrian experience should be great and a vast improvement over what is there today."

Because of the complexity of the project and underground parking that will be excavated on most of the block, construction will take more than two years.

The planned Uptown Central Market will be the fourth new urban grocery store in central Dallas that is combined with a high-rise building.

New parking garage at Jackson and Ervay in downtown Dallas.  In case you're wondering, the other three corners of the intersection, in clockwise order, are occupied by (i) surface parking with a parking garage next door; (ii) surface parking with another parking garage next door, and (iii) yet another parking garage.

5bd0c5dfb0f24_PhotoOct20153516.jpg.8ae08c71e075f7b394f45c32b39d8ed1.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

:-D (your emojis aren't working)

Howdy folks it's been awhile. Hope all is well. I lost my password but found on my old computer.

It's good to come back with a bang and here it is. God I love Hines.

39 stories

453ft

Just began construction!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2018/11/07/new-victory-park-tower-will-one-tallest-outside-downtown-dallas

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estate/victory-park-dallads-high-rise-tower-the-victor-hines-bold-skyscraper/#177150

2017_05_10_Victory-Rendering-1.jpg

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Interesting. 

Hopefully this will be a go for Uptown. Now FAA approved. It will definitely stand out.

HARWOOD XII

620' FT. 41 FLOORS.

Would technically replace Cityplace Tower as the tallest outside of downtown.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=388959156&row=4

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 2:06 PM, JasnoDTX said:

😄 (your emojis aren't working)

Howdy folks it's been awhile. Hope all is well. I lost my password but found on my old computer.

It's good to come back with a bang and here it is. God I love Hines.

39 stories

453ft

Just began construction!

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2018/11/07/new-victory-park-tower-will-one-tallest-outside-downtown-dallas

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estate/victory-park-dallads-high-rise-tower-the-victor-hines-bold-skyscraper/#177150

2017_05_10_Victory-Rendering-1.jpg

This seems like a taller, more elegant version of some of the skyscraper libraries built on college campuses in the 70's. The kind that sort of knock you over the first time you're on campus and say, "You want a library? Iowa State HAS a library. A WORLD CLASS library."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

This seems like a taller, more elegant version of some of the skyscraper libraries built on college campuses in the 70's. The kind that sort of knock you over the first time you're on campus and say, "You want a library? Iowa State HAS a library. A WORLD CLASS library."

Where are these skyscraper libraries?  (FWIW, Iowa State does not have a skyscraper library)

Where are these skyscraper libraries?  (FWIW, Iowa State does not have a skyscraper library)

Yeah, I didn't actually look up Iowa State's library, it was just sort of an "insert any podunk school." Tall libraries can be found at lots of schools, off the top of my head Notre Dame, Lamar University in Beaumont, and an older one at UT. Please don't tell me that these don't meet the defined threshold of skyscraper, the whole post was exaggeration.

21 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Yeah, I didn't actually look up Iowa State's library, it was just sort of an "insert any podunk school." Tall libraries can be found at lots of schools, off the top of my head Notre Dame, Lamar University in Beaumont, and an older one at UT. Please don't tell me that these don't meet the defined threshold of skyscraper, the whole post was exaggeration.

The National Library of France in Paris certainly falls into skyscraper library category. Quite beautiful also.

The Dallas Galleria/Midtown vision has seemed dead but it looks like there might be some progress in demo-ing VV mall and start building?

http://NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth: Vision 2020: Progress Finally on Removing Valley View Mall.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Vision-2020-Progress-Finally-on-Removing-Valley-View-Mall-509083391.html

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 8:43 PM, Twinsanity02 said:

Your MSA is number 1 in population growth in the U.S.  from 2017 to 2108,  according to the Census Bureau, over 130,000 people! Congratulations. 

Not sure if that's a blessing or curse but thanks anyways🤗

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 5:53 PM, Twinsanity02 said:

Drove through Dallas yesterday. What are those highrises going up along US 75/ I-45? Everything looks impressive

You might be referring to The Epic. It has that jenga style..like a mini version of the independent in Austin. I believe it's 15 stories but looks larger.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1860531

It has an accompanying tower next to it called The Hamilton. It's 28 stories (not 26 like the thread says)

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=157359282#post157359282

Apologies if those links don't work as I'm working off my phone. You can Google Skyscrapercity Dallas and you'll get the full list of many projects with photos.

Also:http://dfwu.dallasmetropolis.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=0176d5a1c61e90d402ded4b9d9cfc6d8 for the most up to date.

Edited by JasnoDTX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JasnoDTX said:

You might be referring to The Epic. It has that jenga style..like a mini version of the independent in Austin. I believe it's 15 stories but looks larger.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1860531

It has an accompanying tower next to it called The Hamilton. It's 28 stories (not 26 like the thread says)

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=157359282#post157359282

I think The Epic office building is 14 stories.

StreetLights (the company building The Hamilton apartment building) says it is 26 stories.   http://www.streetlightsres.com/development/the-epic/

I think The Epic office building is 14 stories.

StreetLights (the company building The Hamilton apartment building) says it is 26 stories.   http://www.streetlightsres.com/development/the-epic/

You're right about The Hamilton. Thought it was 28. Can't seem to find verification on The Epic though. One site says 10 and another 18!

2 minutes ago, JasnoDTX said:

You're right about The Hamilton. Thought it was 28. Can't seem to find verification on The Epic though. One site says 10 and another 18!

LOL

I just found, on the development's website, that the office building is 16 stories.  Looks like 10 floors office space on top of 6 floors of parking (plus perhaps another floor of parking below grade).

https://theepicdallas.com/office-2550-pacific-avenue-at-epic/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...