Green Neon At Beltway 8/I-45

IronTiger

One of the more fascinating things I've read on HAIF in recent years is the existence of green neon tubing along the overpasses at Beltway 8 and Interstate 45. While I can visualize it decently, I'm wondering when it went away (when North Belt Road became a full highway?) and if anyone has any pictures?

You'll have to provide a link to where you read this, IronTiger. I've never seen green neons on the Beltway/45 exchange. TXDOT painted green accents on the fly overs at one point, but never have they been lit up in green neon during my 40+ years of recollection. The overpasses didn't even exist until the late 80s thru early 90s, being built at different times. If it was done, it lasted even less time than the Southwest Freeway bridges did.

Rats. I knew I saw it...I think in one of the topics I started...but I can't find it.

I'm not going crazy, am I?

I don't know if the lights are still working or not - they used to be when I worked there..

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/spring-news/article/Roadway-project-to-get-touch-of-green-2094318.php

I stand corrected. I've never witnessed these lights working before. I think I'd have noticed green neons in all the years I've been up here on those overpasses. I don't know how long they may have been maintained, but no neons are lit presently. I'd like to see a picture of this ever being lit up.

I drive through that interchange almost every day at 6am, tomorrow I will verify whether they are illuminated or not. If so, I'm calling an optometrist right away. The google map shows them during the day, can't see if they are truly lit. Looks like we have another bridge beautification project that has not been kept up with.

I drive through that interchange almost every day at 6am, tomorrow I will verify whether they are illuminated or not. If so, I'm calling an optometrist right away. The google map shows them during the day, can't see if they are truly lit. Looks like we have another bridge beautification project that has not been kept up with.

I drove back from Centerville last night and I can confirm that they are not illuminated.

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Green Neon At Beltway 8/I-45

Archived