Northwest Mall Developments

GovernorAggie

Just went to the development company, Levcor, website and they have several developments is Houston. I don't know if these are done yet (let me know if they are) but they all look great--even if they are more strip power centers:

Post Oak Plaza

PostOak-Render-Large.jpg

Hedwig Village Shopping Center

Hedwig-Render-Large.jpg

Heights Shopping Centre

Heights-Render-Large.jpg

It says that it is the former KMart.

By the way, the HBJ article said that the owner of NW Mall is Glimcher out of Columbus, Ohio. Glimcher also owns Eastland Mall in Charlotte, and well, when I moved away, they left much much to be desired. If anyone has any better information about Glimcher, please share with us.

Post Oak Plaza already exists. It is probably just going to be remodal. I think that strip center and others in the Uptown District are a waste of space for that area.

Also, talks have been going around to build up on that site. This may have changed because of the pic above.

I doubt the Heights project will get off the ground because the floodway for White Oak is too wide for new development to get started in the area. The site is trapped now. Unless the development company wants to invest about $40k in a drainage study that may not give them the answer they want. Hopefull they can move the floodway, but I doubt it. The city and county are much more reluctant to approve these kinds of studies unless they are part of a county study. Maybe the foodway will go down with the regional detention basin expansions approved.

KJB, I can't argue 100% with you because I don't know the facts, but I live in Shady Acres, and there is some definite activity going on at the old KMart, contractor trailers, etc.

I could understand if we were talking new development, but that site is already built out and was just looking for tenents to rent out the space. I don't think the city or flood district can prevent that.

Blech. Typical power center- lots of parking, etc. They should at least include a parking deck, or something.

A renovation of the structure would have not restrictions. And addition of structure or what may be considered elevation lifting would be prohibited. The only contradiction is that the City does require trees to planted when a major renovation occurs to commercial strip centers. If they build up any portions to plant the trees they would have some violations, but they just be required to dig a hole to offset the fill.

In the end, floodway restrictions are completely different than that of floodplain restrictions.

Also, the city can be liable for allowing development to occur that impacts flooding issues on streams.

• 2 weeks later...

Pffiscchhh...

I hate what seems redeveloping old indoor malls with strip centers no matter how pretty they are. Especially in houston where some of the malls seems to have some history about them. I wish they had remodeled gulfgate. even my grandparents shopped there in the 60's and now its just a crappy old strip center.

I hope they keep northwest but i bet in 20 years nearly all indoor malls excluding big fancy ones like the galleria and stable ones in mid sized towns like college station will be gone judging from the way things are going. I like the style of denser centers like the new ones in the woodlands mall area though.

Northwest Mall is being targeted by Metro to becom a depot station for its lightrail lines. With the Northwest Transit center nearby and a bunch of proposed rail lines, the location will serve them well.

Just a bit of trivia here.

Northwest Mall and Almeda Mall both opened at the same time. They were duplicates of each other, not only in the architecture, but in that they had the same stores in each. All the shelves in all the stores were stocked exactly alike.

Obviously, with Houston growing outward over the years, the Almeda Mall has prospered longer. The Northwest Mall remake would be a welcome change. Hopefully, a makeover will spill on to streets like Dacoma and Mangum, which have become pretty much abandoned by the local authority that once kept up the sidewalks and medians.

BTW, there is a new building, about 2-4 stories, being constructed near the current mall and Delmar Stadium. Anyone know what the building is?

I drive Mangum from Hempstead Hwy to US 290 every morning heading out to work. The area has potential, but I think'll just have to wait its turn. HISD having headquarters there will push a larger population of office workers to use the retail and restraurants in the area.

It's the new HISD headquarters:

HISD HQ

Which high school drafting class designed the new HISD administration building? What a disgrace to Houston and especially at such a visible location. It has about as much architectural significance as a Holiday Inn Express.

The HISD has displayed a serious lapse of stewardship of our publicly owned buildings. Their renovations and additions to existing schools are inferior in design and quality. Many of their decisions to demolish significant local landmarks and replace them with soulless boxes are troubling and robbing Houston of significant architecture. We should require more. HISD is throwing away our tax dollars in more ways than one.

Do you know what the final build will look like?

Right now it's just a shell. The is a large courtyard area between the two buildings. They front 18th Street and not the Freeway.

Do you know what the final build will look like?

Right now it's just a shell.  The is a large courtyard area between the two buildings.  They front 18th Street and not the Freeway.

Click on the "HISD HQ" link above to see the drawings and the model that freshman woodshop made. The building footprint is in the shape of an 'H'. They should have set up the parking spaces to spell out the 'I S D' in cars.

I like the layout. A little 1950ish, but the large greenspace between the buildings is nice.

The land prior to the construction was a barren wasteland. Commerical businesses wouldn't buy because it has horrible access for customers. One of the orginal downfalls for the Northwest Mall too.

I do acknowledge the new facility won't be as cool as the old building, but the building really wan't suited for them anyway. That building should have been build in the Museum district and turned into a museum for something.

Now the property where the old facility will be developed probably into residential.

Now the property where the old facility will be developed probably into residential.

That's the sad part in all this. Maybe it didn't suit their needs anymore, but the building on Richmond would have become a historic structure in due time if given the chance to grow old. I hurt for the mid-century buildings that line Richmond from Kirby to Greenway, I think within the next 10 years or so most will be gone. It's a shame. There's a whole lot of people out there that would feint at the mere mention of a 19th century building being torn down, but would hand you a hammer when it comes to destroying mid-century structures such as the current HISD HQ. (sorry to take a right turn from the original topic)

• 4 months later...

Any confirmation on making the long vacant JC Penney Store at NW MALL a super shelter

for storm evacuees ? A story on Channell 13 indicated as much on Monday. Since that time,

the story has been pretty much " hushed up ". How can they retrofit that store to provide

plumbing and cooking facilities to over 2000 people ?

Nah, no "super shelter" there. NW mall just got a new landlord, I am pretty sure they bought it to make money, it's too early to believe they are already thinking of cutting their losses on the property. My crystal ball says Walmart gonna move in to the old JC Penny to counter some of the moves Target has made recently with their move to Memorial City Mall and new store off Taylor/I10.....

• 1 year later...

This is great news! As a nearby resident, this mall has been in need of renovation for many years. The last time I went to Northwest Mall was about 6 months ago, and I just ran into Macys. As far as actually stepping foot into the actual mall - I can't even remember the last time.

Edited by native_Houstonian