Alley Theatre At 615 Texas Ave.

Stephen

Since the old HISD administrative building was leveled, it's one of the few Brutalist-style buildings left. There's another on the corner of Fannin and OST that I would consider Brutalist along with the Kroger on OST at Cambridge. I don't think it's anybody's favorite style but the building on Fannin is comforting somehow.

• Like 1

thanks for posting those - i like how something so massively concrete can look organic

I find that shooting in b/w lends itself to dynamic portrayal of buildings like this. It's all about the light; it sort of helps one look past the starkness of the concrete itself.

• Like 1

It seems that every city has it's example of Concrete Chique. They all have a Stalinist appeal. Unfortunately Alley theater is showing it's age.

The Coliseum in Rome is showing its age but I don't know about Stalinist appeal... I suppose you could say it has concrete chic though

• Like 1

The Coliseum in Rome is showing its age but I don't know about Stalinist appeal... I suppose you could say it has concrete chic though

How do you think about the Boston City Hall. Another, monument to concrete that has often been named the ugliest building in the world.

boston-city-hall.jpg

• Like 1

How do you think about the Boston City Hall. Another, monument to concrete that has often been named the ugliest building in the world.

Wow, now that's what I call brutalist. I think it has a certain appeal, actually; though an appeal more to my darker side perhaps. It has a sort of dystopian feel somehow. I like it, but as a government building it's too imposing: it feels as though it would swallow you if you walked in. The effect is amplified, by contrast, by the open plaza surrounding the building. One would expect to see such a thing in a movie like Brazil.

• Like 1

The City Hall and City Hall Plaza here in Boston are likely goners. The mayor has proposed moving City Hall and all local government offices out of the Financial Center and down to the newly developing South Boston Waterfront where the new convention center, several hotels, several condo towers, and the new ICA Museum have opened up.

Boston has some really exciting projects on the boards right now with the finishing of the Rose Kennedy Parkway, the Russia Wharf tower, the proposed 1,000 foot tower downtown, the South Station development, and the Columbus Center being built over the Mass Pike to connect the South End with Chinatown/Theater District.

• Like 1

The Alley's always been one of my least-favorite Houston buildings. Thanks for presenting it in a light that improves the way it looks.

Hey, my pleasure. It's a matter of perspective, something I like to explore... Let me know if there are any other buildings I can deuglify for ya :)

• Like 1

The black & white really gives the Alley a different look. I'm no big fan of brutalist architecture, but I do have a soft spot for the Alley. Unlike, say, Boston City Hall, the theater doesn't overwhelm you, and the stark effect of the concrete is offset by the curves of the facade. Plus, the aging of the concrete seems to somehow soften the fortress aspect.

The City Hall and City Hall Plaza here in Boston are likely goners. The mayor has proposed moving City Hall and all local government offices out of the Financial Center and down to the newly developing South Boston Waterfront where the new convention center, several hotels, several condo towers, and the new ICA Museum have opened up.
I read an article about that recently. Preservationists are trying to save the Boston City Hall and plaza, because they are considered primo examples of Brutalist architecture.
Since the old HISD administrative building was leveled, it's one of the few Brutalist-style buildings left. There's another on the corner of Fannin and OST that I would consider Brutalist along with the Kroger on OST at Cambridge. I don't think it's anybody's favorite style but the building on Fannin is comforting somehow.
Are you thinking of the hospital immediately north of Brays Bayou? There's more around the Medical Center as well.
  • Like 1

The black & white really gives the Alley a different look.

That is true, however the time of day in which the photos are taken makes a big difference too. I took this set in the late afternoon in September and there wasn't any direct light on the building. I have another set, yet to be scanned, that, as I recall, had some harder shadows in it; I will try to get that scanned and posted soon for contrast's sake.

• Like 1

Hey, my pleasure. It's a matter of perspective, something I like to explore... Let me know if there are any other buildings I can deuglify for ya :)

Jones Hall. I understand its lines and what was trying to be done, but to me it just doesn't seem to come together right.

thought this was interesting - can anyone date the picture from the car maybe?

http://www.cah.utexas.edu/db/dmr/image_lg....iable=e_bb_0953

My guess is the License Plates are 1962. Back then you changed your plates every year. The rotated the colors of the plates, and styles. They moved locations of dates around and colors of plates changed.

4074.jpg

4208.jpg

4206.jpg

3943.jpg

4145.jpg

4203.jpg

4104.jpg

4213.jpg

4042.jpg

4139.jpg

3989.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Everyone else is doing it wrong. To a true believer like Gregory Boyd, artistic director at Houston's Alley Theatre, the only way to work is with a core group of actors whose artistic and economic livelihoods are tethered as tightly as his are to one place.

///

Quality of life is a major draw for Alley actors. For Elizabeth Bunch, it's a large part of what keeps her in Houston..."The Alley has been a totally welcoming environment," Bunch says. "When we do tech rehearsals, 10 out of 12s and stuff, I bring the baby...I've been glad to continue to have my life, and it's nice that the Alley has created a place where I can continue to do my work."

///

Ultimately the greatest draw for the Alley's company members is the opportunity to be a part of so many quality productions and to work with so many quality actors...Bean, Bunch, and Black describe a familial atmosphere complete with gentle ribbing, inside jokes, and a complex group dynamic. But Black says the allure isn't just in going to work with the same people every day; it's going to work with people whose artistic values are so similar to his own in a place where that type of actor is allowed to flourish.

"The thing that's kept me in Houston for all these years is that it does draw a very specific type of actor," he says. In Texas, Black is surrounded by co-workers who "are not particularly interested in or obsessed with commercial theater," who don't have to worry about kissing ass, being seen, or even what the critics write. "It's about giving your best to that piece for a four-week period, and there's something very honorable in that to me."

http://www.backstage.com/bso/news-and-features-features/houston-we-have-a-theater-1004007321.story

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

They are going to be adding a fly loft to the main stage theater, which generally is 75-80 feet tall, so that would be the reason for the crane.  The tower on the Alley will add 45 feet above the existing roofline.

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=7352#.U_bBxWMXNFs

Edited by MarkLTD
  • Like 1

how has that theater lived for 46 years without a fly loft? Seriously?  Wow!    (no sarcasm intended)

it has to be like working in a high school theater.. .you want a backdrop change, you put it on a track system and move it left and right instead of flying it in and out.

(i have only been to the Alley once- my minion Blackout borrowed some gear from me to do a show there, and I went in to check on him... they have a nice black box theater, haven't seen the main room yet)

• Like 2

Didn't realize this would need one. Are there renders out?

I had not seen any, so I was surprised as well. MarkLTD's link has these:

I guess whoever drew up the top one did not care for the Lancaster Hotel.

10-alley-theater-houston-archpaper.jpg

11-alley-theater-houston-archpaper.jpg

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 6

I guess whoever drew up the top one did not care for the Lancaster Hotel.

HAH!!!!  :lol:

Nate99, you are a wizard at digging up images.  I've gotta say, this does a pretty good job of keeping and complementing the fabric of the original facade.

• Like 1