The Cosmopolitan Of Houston: Multifamily At 1818 Commerce St.

Urbannizer

assuming this project gets off the ground i do like how many of the developments in the area are taking or have taken cues from MMP - 500 crawford, the westin/vic & anthony's, nau museum, and this one... our own little ballpark district.

Which means that everything is derived from old Union Station.

And THAT, to me is AWESOME. Houston for all the flak it gets IS actually making history live on, in its own unique way

500px-HoustonUnionStation1913.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know why, but it gives me an Egyptian feel, weird. The ground level design seems to give it a very lively feel. I dig it.

I'm surprised with the lack of a single unifying clarity, in terms of style, over the last decade that we haven't seen a sort of return to the Battle of the Styles of which consumed the architectural discourse before the rise of Modernism (which I really hope doesn't happen as that was complete chaos!). I can slightly see where you pick up an "Egyptian feel" I think it has to do with the vertical nature of the building and the brick patterns, but it looks more like a splice between Neo Deco, and early Modern.

Wonderful. I like the continued effort to mimic the colors of Minute Maid. We truly could have a "ballpark district" as others on the forum have suggested.

We used to have it. It was called the Enron Field District. It was an official district with fancy signs over the street name signs.

That didn't work out very well.

• 9 months later...

How is it? I've always wanted to try it but I've just haven't had the change to make it yet. Hopefully soon.

Pretty solid. It's not at Killens level, but it is definitely worth a try. I had my customary brisket and link. Haven't tried the ribs.

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

1Q 2016 now. I really hope these residential projects can get out of the ground, would be somewhat upsetting for them to lose their TIRZ incentive and it not be given to another residential project.

http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2016-01-13/160114_Development_Map__Renders_11X17.pdf

• Like 2

1Q 2016 now. I really hope these residential projects can get out of the ground, would be somewhat upsetting for them to lose their TIRZ incentive and it not be given to another residential project.

http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2016-01-13/160114_Development_Map__Renders_11X17.pdf

"Any approved agreement shall terminate if project does not commence construction within one year or obtain Certificate of Occupancy within three years of approval of agreement by Downtown Redevelopment Authority board."

However, I thought I had read somewhere in the fine print that they could start in 2017 or 2018 and still receive the tax credit... but I can't seem to find that now. Odd. Edit: Maybe that never existed??

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

From the quote you provided it would seem that they could start whenever as long the property is habitable within 3 years of them receiving tax credit approval.  Obviously Block 334 wouldn't be able to break ground 2.5 years out and still meet the deadline, but SkyHouse definitely could.

"Any approved agreement shall terminate if project does not commence construction within one year or obtain Certificate of Occupancy within three years of approval of agreement by Downtown Redevelopment Authority board."

However, I thought I had read somewhere in the fine print that they could start in 2017 or 2018 and still receive the tax credit... but I can't seem to find that now. Odd. Edit: Maybe that never existed??

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 10/27/2014 at 11:46 AM, Nate99 said:

If the Astros' product is so bad as to have parking perception (as opposed to reality) issues scare away consumers, they have problems with their product bigger than parking perception issues.

That is to say, if/when the Astros are worth watching again, this problem solves itself. In the interim you're talking about a problem that is very marginal in terms of attendance impact, certainly not worth developing a giant garage to soothe easily spooked cartoon suburbanites.  Signing a couple of legit pitchers would be cheaper, even at MLB prices. 

I feel like this concept was worth taking another look at it, almost 8 years later….

My guess is none of these blocks get developed until the NHHIP gets moving, and we get further along with details and construction of the cap park. Once that triggers then that will trigger development along that. Until then we should leave this block dead. Rather wait for something better than revive a dead project that honestly aesthetically is okay.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

I was actually intending to point out how much better the Astros are. 😆 Since, 2014, we’ve had three AL pennants, 1 World Series win, and three going on four 100 win seasons. 

Oh I know. It was just the fact that there was activity on the thread. Which, dammit, now I am contributing to. Sorry!

4 hours ago, Luminare said:

My guess is none of these blocks get developed until the NHHIP gets moving, and we get further along with details and construction of the cap park. Once that triggers then that will trigger development along that. Until then we should leave this block dead. Rather wait for something better than revive a dead project that honestly aesthetically is okay.

So is the cap park now a for sure thing then?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Luminare said:

NHHIP? Cap Park?

Can you catch me up to speed on this project?

2 minutes ago, shasta said:

NHHIP? Cap Park?

Can you catch me up to speed on this project?

Here is the discussion

25 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

Oh I know. It was just the fact that there was activity on the thread. Which, dammit, now I am contributing to. Sorry!

So is the cap park now a for sure thing then?

I've learned its not best to think you can mindread people or organizations, so until I don't see it in a proposal then its happening. Unless you want to roll dice and make bets on odds of it happening that is another matter. Nothing is ever a sure thing until its built. Just like I can never provide a client a "guarantee" for virtually anything especially what's not laid out in a contract. Same with planners.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to The Cosmopolitan of Houston: Block 166
  • The title was changed to The Cosmopolitan Of Houston: Multifamily At 1818 Commerce St.