The Cosmopolitan Of Houston: Multifamily At 1818 Commerce St.

Urbannizer

Yeah, right - a whole 4,000 spaces.  And regardless of whether it's Official Giants Parking or other options, it costs the freakin' earth.

In comparison, NRG park has 26,000+ on site.  I don't think I've seen anything much higher than $20 or so at MMP, even back when the Lastros weren't awful. 

But Bubba and Sally Farhome are different critters here than in the Bay Area.  I've had Suburbans full of suburbanites gape at me as if I'd turned green and sprouted antennae as I've pulled into an open street spot and gotten out of my car, while they waited in line to pay to park in an adjacent lot.  In contrast, AT&T is super easy to get to via BART and/or MUNI - and trust me, the MUNI Metro and BART were packed for the games I've gone to there.  Oh, and BART does go to Walnut Creek, and makes it into the city in about 35 minutes.  Perhaps you could match that time driving to a weekend game, but likely not.  First you get the joy that is the Caldecott Tunnel, then the ever exciting MacArthur Maze, and then this:

The aerial view of Lot A at AT&T looks pretty comparable to those giant lots going east from MMP and 59. 4,000 for preferred season ticket holders and those willing to pay makes a difference, otherwise the Giants wouldn't have invested so much in keeping it there. Underscoring my point that the Astros are not going to let that go unless an alternate parking structure exists.

Not sure what parking costs or the size of NRG's parking have to do with it.

Edited by H-Town Man

Underscoring my point that the Astros are not going to let that go unless an alternate parking structure exists.

Not sure what parking costs or the size of NRG's parking have to do with it.

well yeah.. thats a given. they could build a garage on the thin strip between 59 and MMP with sky bridges linking into the upper decks (with ticket booths of course) for direct access to parking. and then a garage on the southeast quadrant/block of the big super block parking lot north of BBVA Compass Stadium. then they would have 5 blocks of vacant land to develop. and if they do it right it could spur development on the rundown land surrounding that to the north and the east and turn that part of the east end around.

• Like 1

Yeah, right - a whole 4,000 spaces.  And regardless of whether it's Official Giants Parking or other options, it costs the freakin' earth.

In comparison, NRG park has 26,000+ on site.  I don't think I've seen anything much higher than $20 or so at MMP, even back when the Lastros weren't awful. 

But Bubba and Sally Farhome are different critters here than in the Bay Area.  I've had Suburbans full of suburbanites gape at me as if I'd turned green and sprouted antennae as I've pulled into an open street spot and gotten out of my car, while they waited in line to pay to park in an adjacent lot.  In contrast, AT&T is super easy to get to via BART and/or MUNI - and trust me, the MUNI Metro and BART were packed for the games I've gone to there.  Oh, and BART does go to Walnut Creek, and makes it into the city in about 35 minutes.  Perhaps you could match that time driving to a weekend game, but likely not.  First you get the joy that is the Caldecott Tunnel, then the ever exciting MacArthur Maze, and then this:

I was over there somewhere thought it was Walnut Creek, but evidently not, trying to get back to SFO and ended up having to get a cab either 30 minutes to the nearest BART station to then route back through the city or an stay in the cab an hour to SFO. That was expensive.  Some places in the bay area don't work well with their mass transit options, by design I would imagine.

well yeah.. thats a given. they could build a garage on the thin strip between 59 and MMP with sky bridges linking into the upper decks (with ticket booths of course) for direct access to parking. and then a garage on the southeast quadrant/block of the big super block parking lot north of BBVA Compass Stadium. then they would have 5 blocks of vacant land to develop. and if they do it right it could spur development on the rundown land surrounding that to the north and the east and turn that part of the east end around.

That's probably the less expensive route. But an expansive underground structure like I'm suggesting could both satisfy the Astros' needs and provide parking to fuel the development in the area, without putting structures up in the air. The vacant blocks north of MMP would be a better location, but might run into problems with streets and utilities. The super parking lot east of 59 would be the easiest, but probably needs to wait until there's more development to justify it.

I was over there somewhere thought it was Walnut Creek, but evidently not, trying to get back to SFO and ended up having to get a cab either 30 minutes to the nearest BART station to then route back through the city or an stay in the cab an hour to SFO. That was expensive.  Some places in the bay area don't work well with their mass transit options, by design I would imagine.

True enough for visitors - however, the suburban BART stations generally have parking garages for the local population, and pick up/drop off lanes.

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong but is there not a massive 7 story parking garage going up a block over from MMP that is supposed to service the area for big events?

yes, mainly for the GRBs needs.. but were talking about parking garages to replace the massive 6 blocks of surface parking between MMP and BBVA, so that area can be redeveloped into something better than asphalt.

• Like 2

ignore the developments and the deck park over 59. lol, it was part of a fantasy "parks district" plan i sketched up a while back.

8D3B0767-2CD6-48E2-AA88-06F79202CC02_zps

Cool stuff. But you gave your parking garages prime Texas Avenue frontage and set the office buildings back in lala land! I think one thing the Downtown District should strive for is no parking garages on Texas Avenue, besides the existing one at 601 Travis. I would say the same thing about Main Street, but that ship has loooong sailed.

Edited by H-Town Man

keep-calm-and-don-t-laugh-9.png

cloud713, my great pal.... you know that i love you.  but what!

look.. i am not going to laugh ok.  i swear i'm not... i am going to do everything possible to keep from laughing...

so please explain those aforementioned architectural gems....

i mean... buddy please please explain....

• Like 1

Cool stuff. But you gave your parking garages prime Texas Avenue frontage and set the office buildings back in lala land! I think one thing the Downtown District should strive for is no parking garages on Texas Avenue, besides the existing one at 601 Travis. I would say the same thing about Main Street, but that ship has loooong sailed.

The parking garages had GFR that lined Texas (and also faced the park).. And I envisioned large led advertising signs on the garage walls above the gfr to advertise events and what not, but all that is for a different discussion.

keep-calm-and-don-t-laugh-9.png

cloud713, my great pal.... you know that i love you. but what!

look.. i am not going to laugh ok. i swear i'm not... i am going to do everything possible to keep from laughing...

so please explain those aforementioned architectural gems....

i mean... buddy please please explain....

Lmao.. I'm not going to side track this thread.. If you want to discuss it further I made a little thread that I sidetracked into a few different park and development fantasies in the general subforum. Ha

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/30089-improving-the-houston-parks-system/?fromsearch=1

P.s. It's ok to laugh.. The astroworld thing in the linked thread totally sucked. ;).. I wish I could delete that one. Ha, ok now please ignore that drawing.. I only linked it to show what I meant with the garage locations and connections into the upper decks of mmp. I think this thread is already sidetracked enough.. Lol

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is off topic but I didn't really know where to place it....has anybody heard of a future mixed use development coming to EaDo? Apparently it'll be next to the new Ecclesia Church and HFP....I'm asking because it was mentioned in this article....

http://www.chron.com/life/food/article/Houston-food-truck-parks-plots-next-location-in-5869640.php

Just a block away from the HFP/Ecclesia complex a mixed use development is coming up, said Ponce, which will only mean more business for everyone once it’s completed. Right now some of the biggest days at the park are when the Houston Dynamo are playing at nearby BBVA Compass Stadium."

This is off topic but I didn't really know where to place it....has anybody heard of a future mixed use development coming to EaDo? Apparently it'll be next to the new Ecclesia Church and HFP....I'm asking because it was mentioned in this article....

http://www.chron.com/life/food/article/Houston-food-truck-parks-plots-next-location-in-5869640.php

Just a block away from the HFP/Ecclesia complex a mixed use development is coming up, said Ponce, which will only mean more business for everyone once it’s completed. Right now some of the biggest days at the park are when the Houston Dynamo are playing at nearby BBVA Compass Stadium."

This might just be the Houston definition of mixed use where it means a strip shopping center that has both retail AND a restaurant, maybe even a bank.

Or it could be EaDo Place.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1

This might just be the Houston definition of mixed use where it means a strip shopping center that has both retail AND a restaurant, maybe even a bank.

Or it could be EaDo Place.

Yup. Was just about to post that it sounds like EaDo Place. They already have the block fenced off.

Yup. Was just about to post that it sounds like EaDo Place. They already have the block fenced off.

I'm surprised you haven't updated the thread with a photo. :)  Must be slipping...

Well don't I feel like a flock of castles, you have...

Edited by H-Town Man

Wonderful. I like the continued effort to mimic the colors of Minute Maid. We truly could have a "ballpark district" as others on the forum have suggested. 

Hmmm. This is actually something interesting to pick up. We are actually starting to develop a sort of materiality and feel in different parts of downtown. While the design is once again historicist in nature at least it is playing off of the foundation or palette of materials established by Minute Maid Park. It would be nice if some of these developers were a little more daring with the brick and mortal they are using (there are plenty of examples where you do crazy cool stuff with brick) instead of reverting to past styles. Of course the other argument is that there isn't a precedent period so why not infuse some of the old styles to build up a diverse palette of architectural styles before everyone moves into contemporary and that might be the case. It's certainly safer for these developers who have never done mid-rises to go to proven styles.

On the flip side you have the sleek glass exteriors and more contemporary approaches (still pretty safe for what they could do) near discovery green.