With everything built, or not built, don't you guys consider the enviable position Houston is in right now? Most of the recent proposals have gone up, or are in the process. I don't get it. Is the orientation of the building not right? Does it not have retail, or maybe Is it the height of the structure? Is it not East coast enough? While I understand wanting more of an urban environment, we should count our blessings for the position this city is in right now.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

With everything built, or not built, don't you guys consider the enviable position Houston is in right now? Most of the recent proposals have gone up, or are in the process. I don't get it. Is the orientation of the building not right? Does it not have retail, or maybe Is it the height of the structure? Is it not East coast enough? While I understand wanting more of an urban environment, we should count our blessings for the position this city is in right now.

I like it, and you are right. Its Houston and in Houston you just have to get what you can get. It could have been up to Kirby Drive and had retail on the first floor but at least its in the loop and everything in that area is getting dense.

Like one of the HAIFers mentioned not long ago, "It's Houston... Let them build. The urban principle will organically happen over time." This city has become to much of a monster (smart monster) to not eventually find it's urbanity.

Edit: Damn phone.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

I was in the offices of SCB today, and they showed me this building in Houston.  I was going to post the pictures in its thread, but couldn't find a thread here with its address: 2651 Kipling Street.  Maybe it's under a different name?

post-1-0-05433700-1413836254_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-72692600-1413836260_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-77900300-1413836268_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Wow fantastic Editor! What a coincidence that you were in that office and saw this lol. This is now one of my fav buildings. Very well designed. This definitely raises the bar for Hanover for now on and it seems like they might be moving forward from the conservative 'brick and mortar' products they have been putting out (which compared to others are pretty good).

Just looking at all the renderings including documentation on that board this must have been in production from SD to CD since at least last year. Pretty cool project. Can't wait for it to go up! 

EDIT: We need more SCB projects :P They have a pretty solid portfolio of projects.

Edited by Luminare

I was in the offices of SCB today, and they showed me this building in Houston. I was going to post the pictures in its thread, but couldn't find a thread here with its address: 2651 Kipling Street. Maybe it's under a different name?

IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_9642.jpg

IMG_9643.jpg

Did they stand there and let you take all those pictures, or were you all like....

AustinPowers_178Pyxurz.jpg

...when they werent looking?

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

A pretty scathing piece from a local Kirby neighbor about the Hanover River Oaks

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/28/how_oligarchs_destroyed_a_major_american_city_partner/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Tommy Dickey tried for a while to get the city to “abandon” Steel Street, so that the oak trees would no longer be in the right of way and the developer could do whatever he wished with them. He met with success at last when Hanover Co., with presumable help from the planning commission, came up with a scheme that would fly: present the plan as developing only a portion of the street, get everyone accustomed to the idea of losing the incredible vista, and take care of the rest piecemeal.

Before the planning commission meeting on August 21, the developer announced that only five trees would be affected, and that the high-rise involved only a section of Steel Street. Since then, however, things have been moving rapidly, as the rest of the property has been sold off. Dickey apparently didn’t hold out for a higher price for the rest of Steel Street, afraid of possible resistance.

• Like 1

Seems fairly true but artist always seem to find the next cheap place to live and do art, then that makes it the cool place to live and the cycle continues.

Edited by hindesky

Seems a bit bitter to me. 30- 40 years as a tenant. Likely at below market rates. They could've owned a place and controlled their destiny.

• Like 1

Looking at the google street view those Oaks are beautiful but the "townhomes" on that street are pretty dumpy. If they house low income folks who can't afford the high rates in that area then I do have sympathy. Ironic though that the woman mentioned in the article works at a Whole Foods that is supported by the yuppies she is demonizing. 

Seems like a bitter person to me that can't deal with change. I can't believe she actually complains about people that won't patronize businesses late at night because they have to get up to go to their oil industry jobs in the morning. Maybe if she had gone home a little earlier and gotten up earlier she would have been able to buy a place where she wants to live. Instead she wants to steal from others with rent control.

Ok. I now realize that the author of that article is a man, not a woman. Check out his website if you like wasting some time. The photo he uses of himself is priceless.

I wonder if it bothers him that for 100 years before his beloved apartment was built it was a farm. Oh, and the farmers and animals and pastures got "booted". I assume that's totally different.

• Like 1

I started to read this novella then I remembered something I leaned up in Big D. There's a reason Dallas Press & Houston Press write long long long articles ( the main headliner ones) for example recently san jacinto waste pits - it could be done in 2-3 pages but NO it has to be an expose' ( 7-10) pages !!! Wtf - sometimes the content is golden but by length alone they lose me and I'm sure a ton of others. I read this and felt bad then fell asleep zzzz

I recommend the aforementioned renter moves to Alpine, TX

• Like 1

How much vacant land is there still in Midtown? or Downtown? Or, hell, even in Montrose?

(A lot. The answer is a lot.)

And yet developers are destroying perfectly usable housing rather than building actual infill, and removing all the remaining affordable housing near downtown.

And when I say "affordable", I mean to people making the median national wage, not actual poor people. 

Affordable housing is really only practical with older buildings; new builds are just too expensive to sell as anything other than "luxury."

This guy's screed definitely went overboard, but there is a real point buried in there. 

How much vacant land is there still in Midtown? or Downtown? Or, hell, even in Montrose?

(A lot. The answer is a lot.)

And yet developers are destroying perfectly usable housing rather than building actual infill, and removing all the remaining affordable housing near downtown.

And when I say "affordable", I mean to people making the median national wage, not actual poor people. 

Affordable housing is really only practical with older buildings; new builds are just too expensive to sell as anything other than "luxury."

This guy's screed definitely went overboard, but there is a real point buried in there. 

Developers build on what property is available. They can't just build anywhere they want.

Developers build on what property is available. They can't just build anywhere they want.

No.

They build what is most profitable based on existing regulations on what property is available. 

Some municipalities have regulations that incentivize rehabilitation of existing structures.

We do not.

Some municipalities have regulations that discourage sitting on vacant lots or using them as surface parking.

We do not.

Developers here buy any property that is available, raze whatever is on it and then build something else. There is no incentive to even consider something else. 

No.

They build what is most profitable based on existing regulations on what property is available. 

Some municipalities have regulations that incentivize rehabilitation of existing structures.

We do not.

Some municipalities have regulations that discourage sitting on vacant lots or using them as surface parking.

We do not.

Developers here buy any property that is available, raze whatever is on it and then build something else. There is no incentive to even consider something else. 

Sorry but your "No" is incorrect. Developers cannot build on land they don't own or have rights to develop on given to them by the owner.

If you want to take someone's property to change that or use tax payer money to allow poorer people to live where they can't afford to pay their own way then that changes things. I'd like to live in Malibu on the beach. Maybe we can manipulate the political system to make that possible for me.

Edited by jgriff
  • Like 1