This is way off the topic.  MTERO is concentrating the opening the two rail lines.  They may start construction next year of a heavy rail or light rail from south Gessner to hook up with the RED line off Fannin running down US90A/SWRC.  Right now it is in study you can find it at ridemetro.org under Currents Projects.  There are no plans to extend the light rail to the airports. 

• Like 1

Off topic but right now Broadway is getting a $17 millon refurbishing (which it badly needs). Since this is many peoples' first glimpse of Houston, if they enter via Hobby Airport, I'm glad to see it happening.

BTW, Broadway sort of turns into Harrisburg FWIW.

Yes, Telephone begins in Eastwood off Mc Kinney street. That is one light away from Harrisburg. The Broadway what you are talking about is what Leeland street turns into. :)

Again, I apologize for hijacking this thread but Broadway extends to Brady Island in the Houston Ship Channel where makes a curve to the left and becomes Harrisburg. Immediately after that curve Navigation intersects Harrisburg by curving south and following the ship channel for a short distance. Paste the page below in your browser which shows that configuration.

http://www.mapquest.com/#c51b4aac3621be53318a405b

Art, you are correct about the origin of Telephone Road but, as near as I can tell Leeland stops at Hughes just west of Wayside.

Loving this development more and more! They are being very generous of those oaks on Steel St. even to the point where they are going to take away the crappy sidewalks that are in front of them and move the walking path behind the oaks. 6' wide sidewalks a nice plus when some many developments stick with the very tiny 4' sidewalks. Lots of generous public space in this. Pretty cool we are given so much detail about he actually levels and the dimensions. Like I've said before, I give that Beck's Prime Rib another 6 months after this thing is completed and I'm sure that will change to something else lol. Hanover definitely one of the better developers in town right now. Was their any conversation during the planning commission in regards to when this will get underway?

• Like 1

Loving this development more and more! They are being very generous of those oaks on Steel St. even to the point where they are going to take away the crappy sidewalks that are in front of them and move the walking path behind the oaks. 6' wide sidewalks a nice plus when some many developments stick with the very tiny 4' sidewalks. Lots of generous public space in this. Pretty cool we are given so much detail about he actually levels and the dimensions. Like I've said before, I give that Beck's Prime Rib another 6 months after this thing is completed and I'm sure that will change to something else lol. Hanover definitely one of the better developers in town right now. Was their any conversation during the planning commission in regards to when this will get underway?

I agree. From the standpoint of Kirby, it's kind of nice the tower is setback with the  small building in front for scale setback (we won't mention the back side of the tower facing single-family residential).

But I can't see something too dense going up at Beck's Prime, although a skinny tower would be dope. Maybe some kind of 4-5 story retail/restaurant center?

• Like 1

Hanover is doing very neat things in Houston. I'd love it if they would add a Downtown development once Montrose and this get nearer to completion.

I agree. Hopefully the downtown incentives are enough to encourage them to build something downtown.

• Like 2

One Park Place has an enclosed mechanical mansard roof design whereas this one looks flat. 

Have to compare the number of garage floors in each building.

Ground floor of One Park Place was built with luring a grocery store in mind whereas this one wont be as grand (almost certain).

As for comparisons to The Huntingdon, you just can't compare the two. The Huntingdon was built with multi-million dollar buyers in mind while this one will be a rental.

I agree. Hopefully the downtown incentives are enough to encourage them to build something downtown.

If not that, then the occupancy rates north of 90% should be a good lure.

Houston is going to need new 21,000 apartments a year for the next 5 to 10 years. Some of them are going to have to go downtown.

Edited by toxtethogrady

just thinking "out loud":  if houston can produce 21,000 apartments in one year (last year 15,000, this year around 18,000), let's consider how we can quantify it.

5 200 unit apartment complexes (say the alexan midtown or the hanover southampton at rice village) per 1000; multiply 21 x 5 and you have 105 similar sized projects in and around the city.

or

3 333 unit apartment complexes per 1000; multiply by 21 and you have 63 projects.

if houston builds 18,000 as expected this year (or was it 2015? i don't remember....whenever)  a VERY inexact guess would be 50-90 decent sized multi-family projects would be required to bring 18000 units to market.

empty lots will continue to disappear as will substandard housing and single family homes in the high demand areas.  i wonder if there are any houston based reits we should be invested (do people still do reits?) i digress.

it's a little sad to see poor little delicious beck's prime left all by its lonesome.  the smell will be nice for residents.

I had heard there were 28,000 units under construction at the moment - including some in buildings like 2929 Weslayan that have been underway for almost two years. And the pace of construction of 4-, 5- and 6-story midrises appears to be accelerating, if anything.

But if one of those 30-story highrises has 300 units, it would take 60 of them to provide 18,000 units in a year. Imagine 300 new apartment towers in Houston by 2020. :blink:  Now imagine it's not enough to meet demand.  :)

I'm sure Beck's is delicious (ive actually never ate at one before), but to me it's just another drive thru in an ocean of them in this town....I have zero sympathy lol.

Btw, when did it matter how tall this building was? I might get some flak for this, but seriously that's a little arbitrary guys and gals. I could care less whether it is 39 floors or 40 floors blah blah. It's a pretty good building. I mean I love to be a critic, but that's getting a bit nit picky!

i wonder if there are any houston based reits we should be invested (do people still do reits?) i digress.

Nancy Sarnoff at the Chron asked a similar question and came up with:

AmREIT

Camden Property Trust

Weingarten

LGI Homes

Whitestone REIT

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/08/stock-snapshot-houstons-publicly-traded-real-estate-companies/

I had heard there were 28,000 units under construction at the moment - including some in buildings like 2929 Weslayan that have been underway for almost two years. And the pace of construction of 4-, 5- and 6-story midrises appears to be accelerating, if anything.

But if one of those 30-story highrises has 300 units, it would take 60 of them to provide 18,000 units in a year. Imagine 300 new apartment towers in Houston by 2020. :blink:  Now imagine it's not enough to meet demand.  :)

according to the folks who document these things, houston will have constructed 18,000 new units this year.  if there are 10,000 more i'm sure the CRBE would like to know.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/08/22/demand-for-houston-apartments-is-at-an-all-time.html?page=2

i share your enthusiasm, however. whatever the number are, the building frenzy will not soon diminish.   i am curious as to how middle income people are supposed to live in the city.  not everyone can afford kirby or galleria highrises. all of this increased density is great, but if all of the low to middle income workers have to commute, density is for the well-off and traffic will continue to be an issue.  it will be an issue regardless, but middle income folks not having to commute helps, but that discussion is for another thread.

i hope the hanover river oaks makes pedestrian connectivity a priority.  if you simply drive in to your home and have little access to the street on foot, you reduce the possibility that developments like west avenue will succeed.  

i really like this tower.  i hope it CONNECTS well with its neighborhood.

• Like 1

i am curious as to how middle income people are supposed to live in the city. 

It's becoming more and more of a problem, as highlighted by recent articles in various publications stating that Houston is getting more expensive and less affordable overall. That's quite a reversal from ten years ago, when Houston's attraction was its affordability.

And it's going to spread. The wards that used to have some of the cheapest real estate in town are now starting to attract a lot of gentrification (just ask the folks on the Northside, where Pegstar plans to put its new concert venue). The reaction of the middle and lower income population has been to move farther and farther out. The word is they can't develop lots fast enough to meet the demand for housing, and the demand for apartments absorbed 21,000 units in the past year. Houston is turning into New York.  

• Like 2

It's becoming more and more of a problem, as highlighted by recent articles in various publications stating that Houston is getting more expensive and less affordable overall. That's quite a reversal from ten years ago, when Houston's attraction was its affordability.

And it's going to spread. The wards that used to have some of the cheapest real estate in town are now starting to attract a lot of gentrification (just ask the folks on the Northside, where Pegstar plans to put its new concert venue). The reaction of the middle and lower income population has been to move farther and farther out. The word is they can't develop lots fast enough to meet the demand for housing, and the demand for apartments absorbed 21,000 units in the past year. Houston is turning into New York.

It does seem to be true nationwide.....

There is a shift going on. In the 1950s, the middle class and wealth parents of baby boomers left the city and the poor stayed behind. Baby boomers stayed in the burbs to raise their kids. Now, every boomer I know wants to live "in close" and, many of their their adult kids do too. Now, the poor are having to move further out.

In my opinion, the next two decades will tell the tale. This inward wealth migration may be a fad or may be a true shift. 20 years from now we will know.

It does seem to be true nationwide.....

There is a shift going on. In the 1950s, the middle class and wealth parents of baby boomers left the city and the poor stayed behind. Baby boomers stayed in the burbs to raise their kids. Now, every boomer I know wants to live "in close" and, many of their their adult kids do too. Now, the poor are having to move further out.

In my opinion, the next two decades will tell the tale. This inward wealth migration may be a fad or may be a true shift. 20 years from now we will know.

The shift would follow the pattern in some of the major European cities (e.g. London, Paris) where a wealthy core is surrounded by poorer suburbs.

Houston is way too big and has way too much empty space in the core to be getting this expensive. My biggest gripe is the loss of character in the near downtown neighborhoods. Wish there was someway to balance progress and history

Interesting point. But, do keep in mind that What is "expensive" in Houston remains, albeit less so, inexpensive compared to a number of other cities.