KHOU-TV: Spirit Of Texas- Where Are They Now?

Blue Dogs

Hello everyone. For those, who used to watch KHOU-TV back in the old days, here are list of former news anchors and reporters, who used to work at the CBS O&O station:

Bill Balleza (now at KPRC-TV, NBC 2 since 1980)

Steve Smith (retired)

Marlene McClinton: walked out during the 5pm newscasts on live TV back in July 1999.

Neil Frank (1987-2008): Retired

Sylvan Rodriguez (1987-2000): deceased

Claire Casedemont (messes up her last name)

Felicia Jeter

Dan Moody

Vicente Arenas (now with CBS News in Miami)

Courtney Zubowski-Haas

Lucy Noland (2007-2011): later went to KNBC-TV NBC 4 Los Angeles and now in Philadelphia

Lisa Foronda (1997-2006)

Jerome Gray (later went to KPRC-TV NBC 2; now working with METRO)

Gene Norman: mysteriously got sent packing for controversial tweet, calling Chita Johnson"Blondie".

Giff Neilsen (now living in Utah)

Lisa Chavarria (now with WFLD-TV Fox 32 Chicago)

Nydia Han (weekends) in late 80s and early 90s

Dan Meador (weather)

Jessica Savitch

Jeff McShan

Butch Alsandor (Sports)

If I've forgotten anyone, let me know.

KHOU isn't an O&O station, but it's a good one nonetheless.

Dan Meador actually passed away a few years ago. Always wished he was on more, very straightforward delivery and a genial personality whenever they had him on weekends.

When you mention Nydia Han, I think you mean Nesita Kwan who is at the NBC station in Chicago. It would have been around the same time you mentioned that she was at 11.

Two more I would mention are Janet Shamlian & Charles Hadlock, who both ultimately ended up working for NBC News as correspondents. I don't know Ms. Shamlian, but I do know Mr. Hadlock. Excellent reporter and an all-around decent guy.

Another worth mentioning is Fred Rhodes - he has a YouTube channel featuring clips from the late 70's and 80s.

Dan Patrick: he'll be one heartbeat away from the Texas Governor's Mansion and that is very SCARY !

Be scared anyway. Constitutionally the Lt. Governor has more clout (ostensibly presides over the senate) than the actual Governor. Of course, reality (as with actual mileage) may vary.

Just recently Governor Perry has started more frequently performing what I was always led to believe was one of the unofficial duties of the office: acting as a representative of the state's "chamber of commerce." His traveling around the country (and the world) touting the positives of our fair state may have more to do with a potential run for president however.

Two things the Governor of Texas can do that gives him or her power of some import is the ability to call special sessions of Congress and, of course, to veto legislation.

We might be better off with Patrick as Governor, limited to appointing people to agencies and signing or vetoing legislation. The biggest short term impact will be from his stated plan to not appoint any democrats as committee chairs, losing much of the expertise that's been built up over the years (John Whitmire has been great as the criminal justice chair). Patrick is all about ideological purity. And, he was always an awful sportscaster (keeping some thread relevance here).

When I was at KHOU in the late 90's and early 2000's, the morning anchors were Angie Martinez and Tonia Bendickson.

Bendickson is in North Carolina now doing PR for a megachurch.

Not sure what happened to Angie.  A couple of years ago I saw her hosting an infomercial, so she still seems to be trying to stay in the biz.

There was also an anchor named Stephanie Sandoval (actually Applewhite).  She ended up in Phoenix, and last I heard was doing personal training or something similar.

Other former Anchors and Reporters at KHOU-TV:

1.) Ron Franklin (1971-1980)-Sports Director : later went to KPRC-TV and ESPN

2.) Ron Stone (1961-1972)-6pm and 10pm weeknight anchor: later went to KPRC-TV *deceased

3.) Brad Woodard (2006-2014)-General Assignments Reporter *deceased

4.) Reggie Aqui (mid 2000s): Now with KGW-TV

5.) Jim Nantz (1981-1983): Now with CBS Sports

6.) Alex Sanz (2007-2011): Now with the Associated Press

7.) Dennis Murphy (1975-1978): Now with NBC News

8.) Rick Sanchez (1986-1988): Formerly with CNN

**Got fired from CNN for making controversial comments

9.) Steve Edwards (1972-1975): Now with KTTV-TV Fox 11 Los Angeles, CA

**Also hosted Good Day Live and currently hosting Good Day LA

10.) Linda Ellerbee (1972-1973): Later went to NBC News and currently with Nickelodeon's Nick News.

^ Not much of a surprise, what with both being owned by Dallas - based Belo.

(In a nod to the rules, please note that I made no comment regarding the general level of creativity exhibited by our fine neighbor to the north  :ph34r: )

KHOU-TV's news set from the late 1980s looked so similar to WFAA-TV Dallas-Fort Worth.

Not really. The one in the photo was used for just a few years, before 1988 or 89 when they unveiled something different. Less cheap, but still not the best looking.

What's interesting is that WFAA's stuff seemed to look cheaper, though they were the flagship tv property of the station group.

When Belo picked up KHOU, one of the first things they did was to purchase a new set - one that was good for the period - and actually did something unique in that rather than just have the downtown skyline featured as a backdrop, but also the uptown one. The set was gone within three or four years.

The KHOU set featured above was completed in early 1989, and was pretty well laid out for the period. On-set weather center stage left and an on-set couch and interview area stage-right, where I think they did Warren Moon's program, and later Jack Pardee's show on Sundays. There was a fair amount of room to move around, and with the exception of a minor color scheme update in 1993 or 94, that set lasted until 1997 or so. Definitely got their money's worth out of it.

How long before KHOU-TV gets a new set ? Because their current one needs to be updated: morning and afternoon newscasts, the skyline needs a bright yellowish blue morning background and for the 10pm newscasts, have a black background with the skyline.

• The title was changed to KHOU-TV: Spirit Of Texas- Where Are They Now?

Archived