Houston Atheist Meet Up

Montrose1100

I will never be able to comprehend why people who are strongly "anti"something feel the need to meet up and share. I can see how a Broccoli Lovers Club might be of interest to a small group, but a Death to Evil Green Weed Society?

Exception -- the "I Hate Gingers Consortium"... I can understand that one. :D

Don't know if this helps you or not, but you're not the only one who can't comprehend that. If you ever figure it out, let me know 'cause I'd sure be curious myself.

Just because someone does not share your faith, it does not necessarily follow that they are "against" your faith.  Failing to understand a faith is likely based on a lack of introduction and experience - but those don't have to fall into being "agin'," either.  To put it in more neutral terms, I cannot for the life of me understand how someone could actually enjoy jumping out of an airplane.  I simply accept the word of friends and family members who claim that they do.

IMO, failing to respect the faith (or lack thereof) of others is simply intolerance.

There is, however, also a place for "anti" groups - for example, people banding together to combat intolerance and ignorance (though that could certainly be cast in the more positive terms of pursuing acceptance, as well).

Just because someone does not share your faith, it does not necessarily follow that they are "against" your faith.  Failing to understand a faith is likely based on a lack of introduction and experience - but those don't have to fall into being "agin'," either.  

First off, I'm agnostic. I have no faith to be "for" or "against". Second, I believe I can speak for gmac (and I can certainly speak for myself)  when I say I don't think his post was necessarily about faith or religion, and mine definitely wasn't. Neither of us mentioned faith nor religion and gmac specifically used the words "against SOMETHING" (emphasis mine), meaning against anything you can imagine, be it religion or be it broccoli or, as he said himself, evil green weed.

However, as you want to talk religion (and don't get me wrong, that's OK), even though I am agnostic, I can't fathom a single reason as to why atheists would want to gather and meet up except for the fact they are against religion and want to sit around and bash it. To each their own, I suppose, but that hardly seems to me (and I've mentioned this earlier in another post) like an event that would lead to a lot of camaraderie and friendships. As I've never been to an atheist gathering, I am, of course, only speculating, but that's the way it seems to me and I was interested in seeing the poster's report on what actually went on in one.

From the poster's report, it seems that if the event had very little to do with atheism at all. So I wonder 1) why they even held it and 2) why they called it an atheist gathering when it sounded like more a sci-fi convention (according to the person who was there). If they were going to sit around and talk sci-fi, why not just call it a sci-fi gathering?

From the poster's report, it seems that if the event had very little to do with atheism at all. So I wonder 1) why they even held it and 2) why they called it an atheist gathering when it sounded like more a sci-fi convention (according to the person who was there). If they were going to sit around and talk sci-fi, why not just call it a sci-fi gathering?

I was being judgmental as I have been to an anime convention back in the golden years of 6th grade. It wasn't something I was into, but rather to go with a friend. Anyways, it was like that, or at least at first (the Atheist side).

I did roll my eyes at this guy complaining about the God Bless America signs on Whataburger. But he was the only one who said something like that.

So I did learn my lesson and won't be joining the group anymore. I was just tired of not being able to talk to someone about what I think, what I know about, what I don't, and hear some other ideas (I don't need to be convinced of anything, I just like learning about what other people think, it's interesting sometimes). Of course that didn't happen, but it was nice to network a little and I did meet some really nice and kind people.

They get together for fellowship and camaraderie.  To strengthen their bonds and friendships though similar interests and thought lines.  They learn from each other and grow.  They study their common books that explain their way of thinking and how they should behave.  Sometimes there is a leader who helps guide them to better understanding of their ways.  They may even engage in some communal food or drink.

You know... church.

That makes sense.  There are people - including I suppose atheists - who are looking for the community of a church without the doctrinal baggage.  Saw this article recently on the "spiritual but not religious". 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/19/us/examining-the-growth-of-the-spiritual-but-not-religious.html?_r=0

Don't know if this helps you or not, but you're not the only one who can't comprehend that. If you ever figure it out, let me know 'cause I'd sure be curious myself.

Well, it's often hard for people to know what it has been like to walk in other peoples' shoes.

Consider this:  what would it feel like to live in a society where most of the people who are willing to publicly state an opinion on a given subject would also be inclined to vilify a minority that does not share that opinion.  Even odder, a minority that (admittedly sometimes only in theory) wants to think they are thinking rationally, rather that just buying into whatever belief system dominates around them.

I don't say this to be mean or to deny your feelings.  Frankly -- and I admit this is a vanity on my part -- but sometimes I think my attitudes are more consistent with the Jesus I was taught about than those who are not so much into that message, as opposed to just being part of the biggest tribe in the neighborhood.

Well, it's often hard for people to know what it has been like to walk in other peoples' shoes.

Consider this:  what would it feel like to live in a society where most of the people who are willing to publicly state an opinion on a given subject would also be inclined to vilify a minority that does not share that opinion.  Even odder, a minority that (admittedly sometimes only in theory) wants to think they are thinking rationally, rather that just buying into whatever belief system dominates around them.

I don't say this to be mean or to deny your feelings.  Frankly -- and I admit this is a vanity on my part -- but sometimes I think my attitudes are more consistent with the Jesus I was taught about than those who are not so much into that message, as opposed to just being part of the biggest tribe in the neighborhood.

No offense intended, but you're the second person today who assumed that post had anything whatsoever to do with religion. I never mentioned religion in that post. Neither did the other guy I was replying to. I was, and am, talking about how being "anti" something, be it against broccoli, the evil weed (as the other guy mentioned) or even religion, seems to be a rather poor way to create a lasting group. There's no positive vibe going on. The only thing they have in common is that they are against something. It's strictly negative. Should that thing they are against go away (for example, an anti-Bucee's group opposed to the construction of another gas station), where does that leave the group?

So thank you, I suppose, for your points. But they have little to do with what I was talking about.

Well, I think one of the main things that atheism has going against it is a lack of distinction between atheism and antitheism, and believe it or not, that really tends to divide an already somewhat small group. A small test to determine is if you think God simply doesn't exist and don't care what others think, or do you try to mock and belittle those that do while trying to trot out proof that God doesn't exist? Antitheism would be the latter one, while atheism tends to be the former, though both go under the atheism label.

I also believe that an "Atheist Club" is rather negative-sounding because it IS negative. Think about the abortion issue: both sides like to think that they're "pro" something, whether it be "pro-choice" or "pro-life". While you may roll your eyes at at least one of these labels, they at least choose to make a positive image either way. No one brands themself as "anti-life" or "anti-choice", they choose the positive.

Well, I think one of the main things that atheism has going against it is a lack of distinction between atheism and antitheism, and believe it or not, that really tends to divide an already somewhat small group. A small test to determine is if you think God simply doesn't exist and don't care what others think, or do you try to mock and belittle those that do while trying to trot out proof that God doesn't exist? Antitheism would be the latter one, while atheism tends to be the former, though both go under the atheism label.

I also believe that an "Atheist Club" is rather negative-sounding because it IS negative. Think about the abortion issue: both sides like to think that they're "pro" something, whether it be "pro-choice" or "pro-life". While you may roll your eyes at at least one of these labels, they at least choose to make a positive image either way. No one brands themself as "anti-life" or "anti-choice", they choose the positive.

IronTiger hits on a big point.  I've seen both sides of the "atheist" coin, and the anti-theists are the folks who (perhaps unknowingly, though I find that doubtful) are making it tough for those who simply do not believe.  Then again, if I were continuously questioned because of my beliefs (or lack thereof) I would probably start to be more openly...how to say it... belligerent?

Perhaps a group needs to be formed with the moniker "American Rationalists" or "Houston Rationalists" ?  Maybe that would make "the pill" easier for others to swallow?

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up in an atheist household but consider myself agnostic (not ruling anything out). My wife is atheist. We attend a UU church in the Woodlands and have also attended the UU church that's in the Museum district. Short for "Unitarian Universalists", think of it as a spinoff from the "Trinitarian" Protestant tradition but has evolved to include atheists, agnostics, humanists, pagan, heck pretty much anything! Very church-like but without creeds. Very family-friendly environment while at the same time open to all types of people, especially the LGBT community. I would be happy to answer any questions about UU or the specific churches in question.

I grew up in an atheist household but consider myself agnostic (not ruling anything out). My wife is atheist. We attend a UU church in the Woodlands and have also attended the UU church that's in the Museum district. Short for "Unitarian Universalists", think of it as a spinoff from the "Trinitarian" Protestant tradition but has evolved to include atheists, agnostics, humanists, pagan, heck pretty much anything! Very church-like but without creeds. Very family-friendly environment while at the same time open to all types of people, especially the LGBT community. I would be happy to answer any questions about UU or the specific churches in question.

How does the UU church view atheists?  Any particular tenets or guiding principles defining the church?  How do they rationalize the space between atheism and the realm of mainstream Christian beliefs?

One common slogan associated to UU is "Deeds not Creeds". Having said that, UU defines seven Principles and six "sources". The principles are:

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

The "sources" include: direct experience of that "transcending mystery and wonder"; words and deeds of prophetic people; wisdom from the world's religions; Jewish and Christian teachings; humanist teachings (heed the guidance of reason and the results of science); and spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions.

Yes, I copied this from the UUA.ORG website. They also have a page specific to Atheists: http://www.uua.org/beliefs/welcome/atheism/index.shtml

Specific to the church my family goes to, it really is supportive of all faiths (or those with lack of faith I suppose!). Occasionally some sermons will touch on aspects of the Bible but almost always with some sort of "disclaimer" and only as a means of relating a story to how people should treat one another. That is, there's none of the "do these things or you go to Hell" type of sermons you would hear at a Christian church. Probably the best part of our church is the music...there are many talented people in the congregation and they sing and play all kinds of music. It's not uncommon to hear a Green Day song ("Good Riddance"), or even the XTC "Dear God" song!

Anyways, just sharing what I know and not trying to "convert" anybody here. :-)

• 2 years later...

Archived