Houston Atheist Meet Up

Montrose1100

That sounds to me more like a social/drinking event (if bars aren't your thing) with a consistent crowd

I think that's what is appealing to me. I only have 1 other friend whom is an atheist. It would be nice to talk about it with other people, maybe make some new friends. Plus I always need an excuse to drink & socialize.

What do you guys talk about at an Atheist meet?

I consider myself Christian, but I don't claim any church. When I was younger, I spent a lot of Sundays going to different churches and I think it's truly fascinating how they go about doing things. I think going to LDS church was probably the most interesting experience I've had in that regard. Completely different from anything else.

Anyway, mainly just curious what happens.

I consider myself Christian, but I don't claim any church. When I was younger, I spent a lot of Sundays going to different churches and I think it's truly fascinating how they go about doing things. I think going to LDS church was probably the most interesting experience I've had in that regard. Completely different from anything else.

Anyway, mainly just curious what happens.

Honestly I have no idea. I was hoping to get a little insight here. I might be able to attend my first meeting a week from today.

I was agnostic for as long as I can remember. About two years ago I came to my current conclusion.

You know, even for people who aren't active followers of a religion (and/or once-a-week Christians) consider church to be something social. Since atheism doesn't have an analogue to churches (no "Houses of Reason" or somesuch), it is rather fitting that there's independent groups.

Exactly. I'd be a little curious too.

I'm not an atheist, I am agnostic. I did see another post in this thread about there being a meet up group for them as well. But for what? Seems like an odd thing to have a meet up group on. What would you talk about?

OK, it might be somewhat entertaining to talk about what it means to be an atheist (or an agnostic) for about 10 minutes, but then what? Talk about hobbies? You don't need to be in an atheist meet up to do that. If I wanted to talk abut photography, I could do that at a photography club. Or is there a such thing as "atheist photography" now?

To each their own, of course, but it just doesn't seem to be a topic or subject that would lend itself to much camaraderie or friendships. And I just don't feel any need to meet with or be around atheists (or in my case, agnostics). What would I gain from it?

So, sorry I just don't get it, but yeah, like samagon, I'd sure be curious to hear what people would talk about at an atheist meet up.

Exactly. I'd be a little curious too.

I'm not an atheist, I am agnostic. I did see another post in this thread about there being a meet up group for them as well. But for what? Seems like an odd thing to have a meet up group on. What would you talk about?

OK, it might be somewhat entertaining to talk about what it means to be an atheist (or an agnostic) for about 10 minutes, but then what? Talk about hobbies? You don't need to be in an atheist meet up to do that. If I wanted to talk abut photography, I could do that at a photography club. Or is there a such thing as "atheist photography" now?

To each their own, of course, but it just doesn't seem to be a topic or subject that would lend itself to much camaraderie or friendships. And I just don't feel any need to meet with or be around atheists (or in my case, agnostics). What would I gain from it?

So, sorry I just don't get it, but yeah, like samagon, I'd sure be curious to hear what people would talk about at an atheist meet up.

If I had to speculate they will probably talk about a lot of things. I think it's about meeting more like minded people. I'll return with a full report a week from tomorrow.

If I had to speculate they will probably talk about a lot of things. I think it's about meeting more like minded people. I'll return with a full report a week from tomorrow.

I look forward to that report. Mainly because there is something that I suspect will go on, but I'd be curious to see if that is actually the case. What I suspect is that it will be little more than a Christian-bashing festival. Seems to me that would be pretty much the only reason for atheists to gather. But, I do stand to be corrected and it will be interesting to see if your report does so.

I look forward to that report. Mainly because there is something that I suspect will go on, but I'd be curious to see if that is actually the case. What I suspect is that it will be little more than a Christian-bashing festival. Seems to me that would be pretty much the only reason for atheists to gather. But, I do stand to be corrected and it will be interesting to see if your report does so.

Maybe they'll also discuss atheist activism?  Keeping God out of the schools, textbooks and such?

Personally, I'm holding out for a revival of the Dionysian Mysteries.  I guess meeting at a lounge might be a good start on that.

I certainly hope not! That's a concern of mine as well, maybe we'll just exchange anti-religious memes. Lol just kidding. I am crossing my fingers it will be a mature group, maybe talking about politics, education, science, along those lines. What I'm really hoping for is networking and making some more friends in the loop.

I certainly hope not! That's a concern of mine as well, maybe we'll just exchange anti-religious memes. Lol just kidding. I am crossing my fingers it will be a mature group, maybe talking about politics, education, science, along those lines. What I'm really hoping for is networking and making some more friends in the loop.

Well, you'll never know until you actually go!

Well, politics might be a bit of a sticky situation, since it might someone into a frothing rage and there's a high chance that everyone will agree (though there are a variety of important non-partisan issues that don't involve that sort of thing)

As for "maturity", you might just run into the right group of people to play Cards Against Humanity. (Mature? Depends on your definition)

Iron Tiger, I'm not sure if you are the moderator of this, but it does appear you were there last poster there, so I guess that means you're the proper person to ask this of.

I've very seldom scrolled down to the bottom of the main page. Not sure why. But I did scroll all the way down yesterday and I noticed what appeared to be, at least to me, a new feature... the HAIF Charrettes. It is described as a protected forum and apparently you need a password to enter.

What is the HAIF Charrettes? And why is it protected? How does one become a member? TIA.

Reporting live from the scene. So a pretty mixed

Group of people. It seems like a duel meeting with the free thinkers and the atheists. Unfortunaley I've been stuck next to the guy that smells like cat pee.

Started out potentially as some good conversations, buffalo bayou project, recycling and the "myths" behind it. Some nice folks but I don't know what I expecting. Maybe some more scientists/professionals? It's more like a scifi convention. I'm three beers in and still don't know what to talk about. With the HAIF meetup it flowed better, not really one or two people directing the conversation, everyone had a chance to contribute.

I'll give it another hour before I come to a conclusion.

Reporting live from the scene. So a pretty mixed

Group of people. It seems like a duel meeting with the free thinkers and the atheists. Unfortunaley I've been stuck next to the guy that smells like cat pee.

Started out potentially as some good conversations, buffalo bayou project, recycling and the "myths" behind it. Some nice folks but I don't know what I expecting. Maybe some more scientists/professionals? It's more like a scifi convention. I'm three beers in and still don't know what to talk about. With the HAIF meetup it flowed better, not really one or two people directing the conversation, everyone had a chance to contribute.

I'll give it another hour before I come to a conclusion.

Based on your descriptions, I'm guessing it's more basement dwelling nerds than the free-thinking scientists you were expecting. You know, someone that at least looks like a certain YouTube personality, shown below.

AmazingAtheist.jpg

(Image from KnowYourMeme.com)

Also, knowing my own experiences with a similar group of people, please let me post "I KNEW IT!!" if you do end up playing Cards Against Humanity. ;)

Hahaha! Half the guys looked like that! The free thinkers side was way more interesting. Commercial real estate agent, and a lot more oil & gas than I expected. Talked about good movies, where they were from, what they thought about Houston, I had a really good time. 7 beers in I dragged the younger people to blur and took tequila shots.

Have you ever heard of this group? It's not the same one is it?

http://www.houstonoasis.org/

That was actually mentioned. I think there is also a church of free thinkers group too. I was told they organize well and go to protests (yawn), and have speakers and that have specific topics and not an open discussion.

I did make a friend with this lady who was on my level. We instantly bonded over our disgust of cat pee man and immediately made the decision to save the other people our age and go get drunk to make up for the complete snooze fest we fell victim too.

This one lady wanted us to come over to her house where I imagine cards against humanity would have been played.

Don't get me wrong they were nice people but not my cup of tea.

Interesting to hear how the meeting turned out. I think it illustrates how people that (at least appear to) have a common interest can actually be quite diverse.  The lesson I would take from that is that it is good to be careful about painting people with a broad brush.   Even smart humans are still vulnerable to buying into the tribal impulse to punish those who don't appear to be sufficiently loyal to their own tribe.

I am a lifelong atheist (well, since age 10-12 or so).  the few times i went to formal "atheist" meetings when i was young, i didn't meet many people i could relate to.  i would rather have been around smart, but open-minded, theists. 

But ... that doesn't mean that there aren't interesting people to talk to out there, despite how they choose to label themselves.

Interesting to hear how the meeting turned out. I think it illustrates how people that (at least appear to) have a common interest can actually be quite diverse.  The lesson I would take from that is that it is good to be careful about painting people with a broad brush.   Even smart humans are still vulnerable to buying into the tribal impulse to punish those who don't appear to be sufficiently loyal to their own tribe.

I am a lifelong atheist (well, since age 10-12 or so).  the few times i went to formal "atheist" meetings when i was young, i didn't meet many people i could relate to.  i would rather have been around smart, but open-minded, theists. 

But ... that doesn't mean that there aren't interesting people to talk to out there, despite how they choose to label themselves.

I agree with this sentiment.  I joined a humanist meetup and before i could attend a meeting they were getting together for a protest; I'm not inclined to go to a meeting now.  I didn't sign up because I have an ax to grind or want to prove anything.  Intelligent people who are open-minded, regardless of religious or spiritual conviction, should be able to find common ground.  It's the proselytizing hard-liners that are the issue.  An atheist who wants to argue that there is no God annoys me just as much as the Christian who wants to convince everyone they need to be saved from hell.  I'm much more comfortable in the "I don't know" realm.  The website sevfiv recommended looks quite interesting.

Hmm, it also occurs to me to comment on seeing "scientists/professionals" and "oil & gas" people attending.  In Houston, I think the O&G industry accounts for a big portion of the "scientist" and/or "PhD" population here.  

I am one of those.  As a guy like that, I feel a strong commitment to trying to think rationally.  But, I also realize that as a human being, that is a goal that one is unlikely to always achieve in all aspects of one's life.  That is based on my own inner reflection, plus having worked with so many natural-science PhDs in my career, some religious, some not.  

Consequently, I think people have a right to hold and express their views.   However, in tandem, we should be vigilant to accord others the same right.

They get together for fellowship and camaraderie.  To strengthen their bonds and friendships though similar interests and thought lines.  They learn from each other and grow.  They study their common books that explain their way of thinking and how they should behave.  Sometimes there is a leader who helps guide them to better understanding of their ways.  They may even engage in some communal food or drink.

You know... church.

I will never be able to comprehend why people who are strongly "anti"something feel the need to meet up and share. I can see how a Broccoli Lovers Club might be of interest to a small group, but a Death to Evil Green Weed Society?

Exception -- the "I Hate Gingers Consortium"... I can understand that one. :D

It would seem there would be a mix of regular 'ol atheists and then anti-theists (and everyone in between). I usually associate meetup type things with an activity (cooking, biking, running), not philosophy or line of thought so it's interesting to read about how it went..

I will never be able to comprehend why people who are strongly "anti"something feel the need to meet up and share.

Don't know if this helps you or not, but you're not the only one who can't comprehend that. If you ever figure it out, let me know 'cause I'd sure be curious myself.

Archived