KGOL 1180 AM To Air Games

Blue Dogs

David Barron and Brian T. Smith of the Houston Chronicle reported that Texans games in Spanish will be moving this fall to KGOL (1180 AM), the team and station announced on July 22nd.

Enrique Vasquez, who has been part of the team's Spanish radio team since its inaugural season of 2002, will be handling play-by-play, joined by analyst Gustavo Rangel and sideline reporter Daniela Rodriguez. KGOL also will be airing pre-and-postgame Texans shows and a 6pm Tuesday show on the Texans during the regular season.

Texans games previously aired on Univision's KLAT (1010 AM) prior to the move to KGOL, which is the affiliate for ESPN Deportes radio and is owned by Deportes Media, which also owns Spanish-language sports radio talk stations in Miami, Dallas and San Francisco.

Likely a result of 1180's massive 50 kilowatt daytime signal being far superior to 1010's. Any games aired after the switch to night power are going to be a problem for the Spanish dominant listeners though. KGOL's puny nighttime authorization barely gets out of Humble itself (the city of license for KGOL), and will not reach downtown at all.

Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if the sale of Univision as a whole has something to do with the move?

I'm honestly surprised that the Texans didn't pursue a deal with LBI to air games on KEYH 850, like the Astros, Rockets, and I think the Dynamo do. Much better signal in Houston proper, after sunset.

• The title was changed to KGOL 1180 AM To Air Games

Archived