Monterey House Restaurant

Ashikaga

Here's something else that I remember. On Telephone Road a little way's south of the Santa Rosa Theatre, there was a mexican restaurant called "Monterey House." I also remember that a driving range was next to it and across the street was a Henke & Pillot (now called Kroger) supermarket.

Are any of these places still there? I looked up in the Houston phone book and I found "Monterey House Tex-Mex Restaurants." I wonder if Monterey House changed their name to that.

Chet Cuccia

Here's something else that I remember.  On Telephone Road a little way's south of the Santa Rosa Theatre, there was a mexican restaurant called "Monterey House."  I also remember that a driving range was next to it and across the street was a Henke & Pillot (now called Kroger) supermarket.

Are any of these places still there?  I looked up in the Houston phone book and I found "Monterey House Tex-Mex Restaurants."  I wonder if Monterey House changed their name to that.

Chet Cuccia

Monterey House went out of business in the late 80's, if my memory servers me. Many of the locations reorganized into a new company called Monterey's Tex-Mex and have a similar menu.

At The location of the old one on Telephone Road, the building is still there but it is another restaurant now. I don't remember what it is - i think its a taqueria.

The old Kroger's ( the former Henke and Pillot) was there until the early 80's and then Krogers built a new center across the street. The old building is gone and there are several stores in what I think is the old location..a CVS pharmacy, a laudromat, and several other smaller shops.

Monterey House went out of business in the late 80's, if my memory servers me.  Many of the locations reorganized into a new company called Monterey's Tex-Mex and have a similar menu.

At The location of the old one on Telephone Road, the building is still there but it is another restaurant now.  I don't remember what it is - i think its a taqueria.

The old  Kroger's ( the former Henke and Pillot) was there until the early 80's and then Krogers built a new center across the street.  The old building is gone and there are several stores in what I think is the old location..a CVS pharmacy, a laudromat, and several other smaller shops.

Thanks. You knew exactly where and what I was talking about. I live in Orange, Texas, which is 100 miles east of Houston. There is only one Monterey House in this area, and it's in Beaumont.

Chet Cuccia

In 1987, Monterey House declared bankruptcy. Showbiz Pizza Corp. bought them out and has operated them ever since under the name of Mexican Restaurants Inc., which also owns Casa Ole and Monterey's Little Mexico and Tortugas. They franchised the market on poor quality and bagged foods. The current president is Curt Klowacki who was previously at Steak and Ale restaurants. I wouldn't recommend eating there...

It looks like a lot of people remember that candy.  A quick search found some recipes in food forums:

Monterey House candy

This one is interesting.  They have a Texas restaurant topic area. 

Another Monterey House candy topic

I printed that recipe for Monterey House candy and I gave it to my mother. She's gonna make some of it for my dad. I won't be able to enjoy any of it because I'm diabetic.

Chet Cuccia

I printed that recipe for Monterey House candy and I gave it to my mother.  She's gonna make some of it for my dad.  I won't be able to enjoy any of it because I'm diabetic.

Chet Cuccia

Be sure you pick a recipe without nuts in it.

Monterrey House candy did NOT have any nuts!

Some of those recipes on there call for nuts!

Be sure you pick a recipe without nuts in it. 

Monterrey House candy did NOT have any nuts! 

Some of those recipes on there call for nuts!

The recipe that I printed didn't call for any kind of nuts. I didn't get diabetes until 1998. Naturally, when I was a kid I ate candy. I remember that piece of Monterey House candy was small, brown, and it tasted like 95 percent pure sugar.

Chet Cuccia

Remember that huge processing plant they had at Shaver and HiWay 3? May have been Richey and HiWay3. What a huge place they had. Must have been quite an operation in it's days.

I found the candy recipe. Thanks for that too. We will have to give it a try soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so all this talk about Mexican restuarants has my stomach grumbling....

here is a question for the chefs in here... do any of you know where I can get a recipe for the salsa like they serve at La Jaliscience on Montrose or El Meson in the Rice Village?? they are by far my favorites and destroy anything I've had anywhere else..

• 6 months later...

Ooh, I had forgotten about the block of sugar candy that came wrapped in a little paper bag under the tortilla chips!! haha!

Thanks!

We ate at the one next to Sharpstown mall all the time - I never had anything but Cheese Enchildas there.

Boy, their food really sux now...

• 3 months later...
It looks like a lot of people remember that candy. A quick search found some recipes in food forums:

Monterey House candy

This one is interesting. They have a Texas restaurant topic area.

Another Monterey House candy topic

Subdude can come up with just about anything. Here he came up with the recipe for the piece of candy that came with the tortilla chips at the Monterey House. To me, it really tasted just like you were putting a whole tablespoon of sugar into your mouth.

Kudos to Subdude for the link! Speaking of Mexican--are any of the Los Tios restraunts still around? I used to work as a busboy at the one off Fondren & Bissonnet back in '75

Yes, there are 4 that I know of. One is Westhiemer, another at Memorial and Kirkwood, another in Meyerland and the 4th is in Sugarland. I have been to 4 within the past 18 months. I love that place.

I like the #8 = Two Puff Shells and a Cheese Enchiladas.

now that's creativity...

and animatronics creep me out :blink:

I guess that Monterey House went the same way that El Chico and Felix. Over here, the only El Chico in Parkdale Mall in Beaumont closed, and I think that Felix on Calder Avenue in the same city also left. The Monterey House on S. 11th Street is still open, but it's the only one in this area. According to what you have told me, the only ones now in Houston were re-named Monterey Tex-Mex Restaurants. And you make it sound as if Houston also no longer has any El Chico and Felix.

• 2 months later...
I guess that Monterey House went the same way that El Chico and Felix. Over here, the only El Chico in Parkdale Mall in Beaumont closed, and I think that Felix on Calder Avenue in the same city also left. The Monterey House on S. 11th Street is still open, but it's the only one in this area. According to what you have told me, the only ones now in Houston were re-named Monterey Tex-Mex Restaurants. And you make it sound as if Houston also no longer has any El Chico and Felix.

Casa Ole was started by Bobby Forehand in Pasadena, Texas. Casa Ole went public in the 1990s; is listed as CASA on the stock market; and is now known as Mexican Restaurants Inc. They bought Monterrey House and renamed it Monterrey's Tex-Mex after they started the Tortuga's chain. The gentleman in Beaumont owns a number of franchises in the Beaumont/Louisiana area, but he does not own Casa Ole. The processing plant was on Richey and is long gone.

In 1987, Monterey House declared bankruptcy. Showbiz Pizza Corp. bought them out and has operated them ever since under the name of Mexican Restaurants Inc., which also owns Casa Ole and Monterey's Little Mexico and Tortugas. They franchised the market on poor quality and bagged foods. The current president is Curt Klowacki who was previously at Steak and Ale restaurants. I wouldn't recommend eating there...

This is SO incorrect. Showbiz has NOTHING to do with MRI. MRI was started by Larry Forehand. Our food is wonderful. We have excellent quality and excellent foods. Don't listen to stupid people who are mis-informed.