Stuart's Club Grill Drive-In Restaurant At 3401 North Main St.

Heights2Bastrop

Stuarts2.jpg

The last time I was there was in high school, and we stopped in for a Coke, and I got an order of fries. They were curly fries, and they were very greasy, and they were very good!

What a great photo, Subdude. Once again you have come through with the goods!

• 1 year later...

There was an article in the October issue of Texas Highways on the origin of drive-in's in Texas. It noted that Pig Stands were the first when they came on the scene in Dallas in 1921. They soon spread to several locations around Texas, including Houston. It mentioned that the first "good food" drive-in was opened in Houston by J.D. Sivil in 1938. It went on to discuss the further evolution of other drive-in's in Texas. I thought it unusual that Prince's or Stuart's was not mentioned in the article. There was a picture of a matchbook that caught my attention. I noted the address and thought it looked familiar. I went back and found this picture that was posted last year by Subdude. Note the address here and on the matchbook below. Interesting!

Stuarts2.jpg

SivilsDriveIn-1940.jpg

Great job, Filio, for the update. Percy was so notorious for confiscating little old widow's homes to get their errant sons sprung, we didn't stop to think just how filthy (pun intended) rich he would have been at the end. The question on everyone's minds was what kind of enormous price Candace Mossler paid. Oh, yes, I remember you journalistic guys asking, but no one was disclosing. Hmm, or maybe you do know?

Eww. I hate to think we added to his coffers by patronizing Stuart's. I believe I mentioned in another thread the night we were dining at The Bismark and Percy strutted in with 2 bimbos and sat at the table next to ours. He was so obnoxious and bombastic and especially crude, we slurped down our meal and got the hell out. I couldn't stand being in the same room as he.

Now the only question, Filio, is who got all the loot?

When famous Houston lawyer Percy Foreman died in the late 1980s, the people in charge of probating his estate were stunned to learn the extent to which Foreman used "barter" throughout his long legal career. It was local legend that if you didn't have the "cash" to pay Foreman, he would accept whatever you had. Stocks, bonds, jewelry, property, you name it. If it had value, Foreman took it as payment of his fee. He was once asked if he ever felt bad about putting guilty people back on the street, and his response was "Hell no! If they're guilty my fee will be their punishment."

If you hired Foreman to defend you, one thing was certain. Whether he got you off or not, he would end up with all your money and all your worldly possessions.

His estate attorney found safe deposit boxes in banks all over the city stuffed full of stocks, bonds, jewels, property deeds, valuable coin collections, you name it, all worth millions. He rented warehouses for the automobiles, furs, and other items with which cash-poor miscreants paid their bills. He once even accepted four circus elephants as payment for services rendered.

At one time he was the largest individual landowner in Harris County, holding title to more than forty homes, dozens of commercial buildings and at least several square blocks of downtown Houston. Among his many properties were all the land and buildings in the triangle formed by South Main, OST and Kirby, in which the old Stuart's Drive-In was the most prominent lessee.

Ain't that interesting to know?

Filio... If there's ever a Houston history trivia quiz competition, I want to be on your team. I had forgotten about that bit of Percy Foreman lore. You're exactly right in what he accepted for his legal sevices.

Great job, Filio, for the update. Percy was so notorious for confiscating little old widow's homes to get their errant sons sprung, we didn't stop to think just how filthy (pun intended) rich he would have been at the end. The question on everyone's minds was what kind of enormous price Candace Mossler paid. Oh, yes, I remember you journalistic guys asking, but no one was disclosing. Hmm, or maybe you do know?

Eww. I hate to think we added to his coffers by patronizing Stuart's. I believe I mentioned in another thread the night we were dining at The Bismark and Percy strutted in with 2 bimbos and sat at the table next to ours. He was so obnoxious and bombastic and especially crude, we slurped down our meal and got the hell out. I couldn't stand being in the same room as he.

Now the only question, Filio, is who got all the loot?

You need to be a little more specific. Which "loot" are you talking about? If you're talking about the Stuart's Drivein on Foreman's property, Percy was just the landlord. The money you spent at Stuart's just helped Stuart pay the rent.

I don't think his practice of accepting property as payment can be characterized as "confiscating little old widows' homes". Foreman was the most famous defense attorney of his time, and he didn't come cheap. If you wanted him to represent you, you had to "pay the piper", as they say. Who knows how many people signed their house over to him? It's probable that some widows did, but nobody made them hire Foreman.

On the subject of Candace Mossler, she wasn't the one who was prosecuted for her husband's murder. It was her nephew and lover Mel Powers, but you can rest assured Candace paid Foreman's fee, which had to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Don't forget that in those days 100 thousand dollars was worth what a million dollars is worth today.

• 6 years later...

I remember going to Stuarts on N. Main near the present location of 45n. It had an air conditioning system where they would run a duct to your car window while you ate in the car. Never saw that anywhere else and i don't think it lasted too long thre - it wasn't very efficient. The building is still there, it's now a Mexican restaurant.

• 1 year later...

Wow, this certainly predates me. I can't remember any of the north side drive-ins having these. Heck, it was a big deal when some of them started acquiring FM transmitters to replace the little box you used to have to listen to, but AC? Uh-uh.

Great pic devon!

Oh Lord, I had a brain hiccup when I posted earlier. This is a drive-in, not a drive-in theater, obviously with the covering overhead. Believe I'll shut up and bow out in utter embarrassment of my gaffe. :|

Lmao, too true! What's worse is that Cadillac they are sitting in likely had air conditioning of its own. It was available then, but maybe ol' dad didn't spring for it.

Cheapskate...lol.

In the 1950s air conditioning was probably the single most expensive option available on an automobile and it was very expensive; often as much as 10% or more of the total price of the car.

In the 1950s air conditioning was probably the single most expensive option available on an automobile and it was very expensive; often as much as 10% or more of the total price of the car.

Perhaps it had air conditioning and the owner didn't want to turn it on because he was too frugal, like the scene in "Driving Miss Daisy."

This was the Stuart's Drive-In on North Main near I45. I believe the building might still be standing.

Been remodeled extensively, but it still stands. The old Stuart's sign was still in original, minus some neon, form up until around a decade ago, when it was painted over with the new name. Can't think of the name of it, but I think it's a Mexican sports bar now. Every time I'd go under Main on 45, there'd be Stuart, holding his hamburger. Sure hated to see that one altered.

In the right rear corner of the cabin you can see the clear plastic a/c duct coming up out of the rear window shelf.  The blower was mounted in the (humongous) trunk.  This duct position would indicate factory-installed air, at least it did in the 54 Olds 98 which my family had.  The duct fed into the ceiling of the cabin and individual outlets over each door.  The outlets consisted of a a grill and a rotatable nozzle to direct a stream of air at your face or away, etc. 

Dealer installed air, in the Olds, anyway, would have entailed two plastic ducts, placed closer together toward the center of the rear window shelf, open-ended, blasting a/c into the cabin over the heads of the rear seat passengers.

I cannot clearly remember what the unit looked like in the front seat but I don't think there were any a/c vents on or under the dash just fresh air, and the under-dash console was not that big; I seldom sat in the front seat of that car.

Presumably the differences between the Caddy and Olds factory or dealer installed air would have been only cosmetic.

I have not been able to  find a picture of the cabin vents over the doors but in this pic of a 54 Olds (ours was green and white) you can make out the a/c fresh air intake scoops on the rear fender, just ahead of the tail lights, where fins would subsequently sprout.

This is what the Caddy's intake scoops would have looked like, I think.

So this Daddy could not only afford to buy a new Caddy with factory air but also take his family out for a night on the town.  Interesting that he's drinking a bottled drink instead of a fountain drink.

Wasn't there a Stuart's on Main near Sears?

ETA:  Not to sidetrack the thread but note the 'autotronic eye' in the left corner of the Old's dash, a device wihich sensed on coming headlights and dimmed yours automatically and was a real riot when you came upon an intersection with flashing lights.

Could that be a bottle of Miller High Life dad's drinking?

378a5add25342c91c82aa2c6d5efb839.jpg

That's hilarious the guy is drinking a beer at the wheel.  Can you imagine nowadays?  

Looks like a 1953 Cadillac with the plastic AC ducts. 

I don't know if Caddy got rid of the plastic ducts in 54 but my memory is that GM introduced the wraparound windshield in 54 on Olds, Caddy and Buick (Chevy and Pontiac didn't get it until 55).  That does look like a wraparound windshield but otherwise I agree the body looks more like a 53 model.  The 54 Caddy should have had lines very similar to the 54 Olds.

I guess I haven't eaten at a drive-in like that in decades; I forgot some of them served beer.  Come to think of it, I don't think I've had beer in a clear glass bottle in a long time, either.

Been remodeled extensively, but it still stands. The old Stuart's sign was still in original, minus some neon, form up until around a decade ago, when it was painted over with the new name. Can't think of the name of it, but I think it's a Mexican sports bar now. 

Casa Grande. I keep intending to eat there to satisfy my curiosity if anything identifiable as being from Stuart's is still present. Last time I was there, I was a little kid and it was still Stuart's. We'd pulled off of 45 to take refuge from a massive downpour, as the water was starting to rise on the feeders as well as the low-lying areas of the freeway itself. 

casagrande_zps0005277f.jpg

There's a little dip in the rear door chrome under the window that was introduced in the '54.  The '53 has a perfectly straight chrome strip under the window.   Excellent catch on the AC duct.

That's hilarious the guy is drinking a beer at the wheel.  Can you imagine nowadays?  

Looks like a 1953 Cadillac with the plastic AC ducts. 

The Texas open container law went into effect in 2001. I remember seeing folks driving with beer in hand from the time I started driving in 1974 until the law was passed. After the law, it took a few years for people to fully comply.

When I was about twelve years of age I was at that very same drive in one cold rainy night with my older cousin and her husband and another married couple that were friends of theirs. My cousin had a 55 Oldsmobile with electric windows. They decided to let all the windows up and have a smoke out. With all four of them puffing and no way to let out the smoke I was choking and coughing, they finally decided to let the windows down, I hung my entire upper body our of the car to get some fresh air. I think they were trying to give me a hint not to ask to go with them the next time. BTW, my cousin quit smoking about twenty years ago but now suffers from COPD. I guess she should have quit sooner.

Blame it on my 60s birth, but while I was reading, I was thinking "what the hell were your cousin and her friends doing smoking grass in front of a 12 year old?"

Your definition of having "a smoke out" and mine are quite different, lol. :D

Archived