Turn our bayous into "riverwalks" and generate power?

Has the city ever looked at damming some of our bayous in order to raise their levels? Yes, I know they're used for flood control... but I'm talking about installing small damns we can open quickly when the levels rise. For example, take Braes Bayou between 610 all the way to the Medical Center where it has been concreted over. If we were to install a dam downstream that would allow the water level to remain just below the bike path... the bayou would be prettier (concrete banks would be hidden) and we could even look at putting a hydroelectric station at the end of it. Do the same for other bayous around town and we could have our own "river walks" throughout the city. I would think something like this could increase development, actually attract a couple tourists, make the city prettier, and possibly allow us to generate power as another way to highlight Houston as being an energy center. Thoughts?

It all comes down to money in the end, and the billions of dollars for such an ambitious project simply isn't there. That being said, it would be quite beneficial both for flood control and beautification, as well as perhaps some sort of power generation, to reshape the already urbanized bayous into more of a square shape with vertical walls instead of the gently sloping "v" or "u" shape that currently defines them. A square shape would provide the greatest possible stormwater retention while also providing the possibility for waterside roadways or walkways. Dams every mile or so could provide the water retention beautification and power generating abilities you aim for. Despite more water held back than the current system, by increasing the total volume of the system by changing the shape of the waterway stormwater management ability would increase. Essentially make what is currently a vehicle to remove water as fast as possible into a linear series of retention ponds. Navigability of the waterway would not be possible with the ice cubification of the waterway. Water quality would improve with more time for silt to naturally settle rather than being carried to the bay. Also not as much silt would be in the water in the first place with the reduced flows. Water aquifers would be more replenished in drier times because the water would filter down thru the soil with slower flows rather than flowing to the bay. 

Aside from the money hurdle, the bayous are currently seen as the means of getting stormwater into the bay as quickly as possible. Changing that view would likely prove even more difficult than the financing.  

I don't believe areas would flood or dry up as long as gates were installed at strategic places. If anything, water could become stagnant if there isn't enough rain and the gates keep the water level up. As for cost (I'm no expert), it wouldn't be a Lake Livingston sized effort... but a smaller more scaled down one (if we just focused on levels instead of power). Another potential benefit is we could use them to lower a section to clean debris, cars, etc. that are currently sunken under the water.

the last thing I want is more people with poor trail etiquette  clogging up my bike lane on Brays Bayou, especially tourists!

Some of the Bayou trails are amazingly beautiful already. but since there is no air conditioning or hamburgers or bars, most people will never know.

the only thing I want is an expansion of the current hike and bike trails and to expedite the centerpoint energy highline trail construction.

No development! No tourists! Keep that hokey mess in SA.

The normal flow of the bayous is not anywhere near enough to support any sort of power generation, and making them giant box culverts would be pretty ugly. With the construction of detention ponds, there's no real reason to mess with the bayous shape, or increase flow capacity. Silt is seldom a problem in the bayous, given that the runoff water that makes up most of the volume in high flow events doesn't come from natural sources to any great extent, but from the storm sewer system. The current shape of the bayous seems to work just fine for trails and such.

I think something as simple as removing the concrete and planting natural local trees would do wonders. Imagine if Braes Bayou had this greenery instead of concrete.

That would result in massive erosion in the outsides of all curves during high flow events. The concrete would be gone already if that were feasible, as it is pretty expensive to maintain. Absent the concrete, the bayous would be moving  all over the place, since flow velocities are pretty high after the straightening work the Corps of Engineers did 60+ years ago.

Is there not a durable yet somewhat porous material that could complement at least part of the ugly, impenetrable concrete ditches? I'm thinking of something that would also allow growth of vegetation and roots to settle. maybe along the top half. Of course there is always the speed of the water, from the unpredictable rainfall... too much would rip it all out.  Seems like I've seen some kind of netting or rubber material with holes used in recent bayou update projects. Letting the bayous flow somewhat the way they want to (some oxbows) is not a bad thing, IMO. Houses/ apartments have been removed and no future building is allowed, anyway, in some of these problem areas. I' I'm thinking of Simms Bayou after Telephone Road.

That would result in massive erosion in the outsides of all curves during high flow events. The concrete would be gone already if that were feasible, as it is pretty expensive to maintain. Absent the concrete, the bayous would be moving  all over the place, since flow velocities are pretty high after the straightening work the Corps of Engineers did 60+ years ago.

Well what about creating a drainage system for the bayou itself, rather than the bayou become the drainage? I know it's a tight squeeze compared to most of Buffalo Bayou. How about having huge drainage channels under the banks of the bayou and would open up and allow more flow?

Something along the lines of this...

2uhohuf.jpg

Running under the banks to not only beautify the bayou, but also help out with flood control.

I know it's a pie in the sky suggestion, probably too expensive and grandiose to ever even happen. But it's an idea to help bring the bayou to more of a natural look and feel for everyone that sees it or walks/rides the trails.

Edit: Don't ask me where they would dump out, I don't have time to come up with that... yet.

Well what about creating a drainage system for the bayou itself, rather than the bayou become the drainage? I know it's a tight squeeze compared to most of Buffalo Bayou. How about having huge drainage channels under the banks of the bayou and would open up and allow more flow?

Something along the lines of this...

2uhohuf.jpg

Running under the banks to not only beautify the bayou, but also help out with flood control.

I know it's a pie in the sky suggestion, probably too expensive and grandiose to ever even happen. But it's an idea to help bring the bayou to more of a natural look and feel for everyone that sees it or walks/rides the trails.

Edit: Don't ask me where they would dump out, I don't have time to come up with that... yet.

I have no idea on the engineering feasibilty, but could the bayou water be directed to a treatment plant to help with what I'm sure is going to be our growing need for water as the population increases many millions?

I have no idea on the engineering feasibilty, but could the bayou water be directed to a treatment plant to help with what I'm sure is going to be our growing need for water as the population increases many millions?

I actually typed out "to possibly redirect into a reservoir", but deleted it, after thinking how expensive it might be, where it would be, and how long the tunnels would have to be to either go to designated reservoir or all the way down to the turning basin.

The Concrete banks start around the Westwood P&R, to just a few feet east of Calhoun Street (+/- 15.3 miles).

I have no idea about the amount of water from Braes Bayou (combined with Buffalo Bayou), is needed to keep the Ship Channel level high enough. I was running this drainage scenario for flood waters. I guess I could look all this up. 

Anyways, sorry to derail the topic, I just really think if we could get rid of the concrete and have a shaded bayou with greenery it would not only improve the image, provide shade for the trails, but also add much needed natural beauty. The river walk idea is cool too.

That would result in massive erosion in the outsides of all curves during high flow events. The concrete would be gone already if that were feasible, as it is pretty expensive to maintain. Absent the concrete, the bayous would be moving all over the place, since flow velocities are pretty high after the straightening work the Corps of Engineers did 60+ years ago.

How would this be different from Buffalo Bayou as it currently is? Straightening was done on it too.

How would this be different from Buffalo Bayou as it currently is? Straightening was done on it too.

Buffalo Bayou wasn't subjected to the radical straightening and channelization of the other bayous, and is semi-natural for much of its length. It also has two dams upstream to limit flows, something that's missing from Brays and White Oak.

I actually typed out "to possibly redirect into a reservoir", but deleted it, after thinking how expensive it might be, where it would be, and how long the tunnels would have to be to either go to designated reservoir or all the way down to the turning basin.

The Concrete banks start around the Westwood P&R, to just a few feet east of Calhoun Street (+/- 15.3 miles).

I have no idea about the amount of water from Braes Bayou (combined with Buffalo Bayou), is needed to keep the Ship Channel level high enough. I was running this drainage scenario for flood waters. I guess I could look all this up. 

Anyways, sorry to derail the topic, I just really think if we could get rid of the concrete and have a shaded bayou with greenery it would not only improve the image, provide shade for the trails, but also add much needed natural beauty. The river walk idea is cool too.

The level of the Ship Channel is more controlled by tides and sea level than by outflows from rivers and bayous.

I like the idea of damning the bayous, they could put in boat ramps and turn them into recreational areas. I for one would enjoy seeing people water ski down braes bayou. Maybe the owners of the houses that are right up on the bayou could install docks for their jetskis.

The city could even attract some national attention. I'm imagining they install stadium seating on braes bayou, just outside of 610, it's straight enough and long enough, they could do some power boat drag racing here.

This could also help our chances of getting the olympics, since they'd need a really long straight channel for the rowing competitions, and this would put us right there.

There is virtually no downside to this.

I like the idea of damning the bayous, they could put in boat ramps and turn them into recreational areas. I for one would enjoy seeing people water ski down braes bayou. Maybe the owners of the houses that are right up on the bayou could install docks for their jetskis.

The city could even attract some national attention. I'm imagining they install stadium seating on braes bayou, just outside of 610, it's straight enough and long enough, they could do some power boat drag racing here.

This could also help our chances of getting the olympics, since they'd need a really long straight channel for the rowing competitions, and this would put us right there.

There is virtually no downside to this.

I remember when I discussed using at least one of the bayous for tubing, and I just got laughed at. It was the tail end of the old HAIF crew.

I remember when I discussed using at least one of the bayous for tubing, and I just got laughed at. It was the tail end of the old HAIF crew.

I wouldn't have laughed at you. This is genius. Just drop into Buffalo Bayou somewhere around 610, and get out somewhere on the other side of 59. 

Lots of beer, potential to be eaten by alligators, who knows what diseases you might catch, how's this not a good idea?

• 2 years later...

Archived