Youngblood’s Fried Chicken At 6441 South Main St.

roym

• 7 years later...

Back in the 1950s my dad would take me with him to go get a big box of fried chicken from this chicken farm it was either somewhere on South Main or OST does anyone on here remember this place and it's location, name?

I think I may have remembered the name of the place. I'm thinking it was Youngbloods. It was in a huge tin building. Where you bought the fried chicken was a little area within the building kind a like the fried chicken place on the corner of the HEB on 529 and Baker-Cypress (that is if it's still there).

There were Youngblood's restaurants all over Texas, and the company also owned and operated chicken farms, but I'm not sure if they ever had restaurants onsite at the farms, at least in the Houston area. This website says that the farms were all in the Waco area:

http://www.oakcliffyesterday.com/?p=300

There was definitely a Youngblood's on South Main. I can't seem to turn up a list of all the Houston locations, but as a kid I used to eat at the one at Tidwell & I-45 regularly. When Youngblood's went out of business in 1969, that location became Aunt Bea's, which is still in business today. 

There were Youngblood's restaurants all over Texas, and the company also owned and operated chicken farms, but I'm not sure if they ever had restaurants onsite at the farms, at least in the Houston area. This website says that the farms were all in the Waco area:

http://www.oakcliffyesterday.com/?p=300

There was definitely a Youngblood's on South Main. I can't seem to turn up a list of all the Houston locations, but as a kid I used to eat at the one at Tidwell & I-45 regularly. When Youngblood's went out of business in 1969, that location became Aunt Bea's, which is still in business today. 

The Youngbloods I'm talking about we went to didn't have a restaurant in it, it was takeout only.

The Youngbloods I'm talking about we went to didn't have a restaurant in it, it was takeout only.

Having takeout onsite at a chicken farm almost seems more plausible than a full-service restaurant. At the Youngblood's restaurant I was familiar with, takeout was a significant part of their business, and they had a separate entrance in the back of the building where the takeout window was located.

Archived