Philly is no Houston

Based off this article, Philly and Houston are more or less equal except for these two key factors: Taxes and bureaucracy

Is that what it really boils down to when we and the rest of Texas compare ourselves to other cities nation wide?

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/07/17/philadelphia-vs-houston-blueprint-metropolitan-revival-wall-street-journal/

excerpt:

Here’s why: Its taxes and bureaucracy.

If you’re making $50,000 a year and are unfortunate enough to live in Philly then you have the second highest tax burden of anyone in the country with almost 18 percent of your money going to the government. If you are in Houston, you are at No. 33 and paying only 9 percent. You pay no city or state income tax. Your sales tax is higher, but not by a lot.

Not only that, but if you want to start up a business or even run an existing company in Houston you deal with the government much less. “The city and its unincorporated areas have no formal zoning, so land use is flexible and can readily meet demand,” according to the Wall Street Journal piece. “Getting building permits is simple and quick, with no arbitrary approval boards making development an interminable process. Neighborhoods can protect themselves with voluntary, opt-in deed restrictions or minimum lot sizes.” Philadelphia is saddled with a creaky, bureaucratic, bloated and oftentimes corrupt government (although to Mayor Nutter’s credit, the corruption has been much less so. But let’s agree that there’s still a long way to go). The city’s burdens — both from tax and paperwork standpoints — are oppressive to most running, or trying to run, a business here. Don’t believe me? See what Paul Steinke, the manager of the beloved Reading Terminal Market had to say last year.

And that’s why. People move to places where there are jobs. There are jobs in Houston mainly because it’s a better place to run a business. It’s a better place to run a business because there are less taxes and bureaucracy. Philadelphia has all the ingredients to be a good place for business too. But we’re just not as good as Houston.

Philly and Houston are nothing alike. For example, Philadelphia's main draw is being one of the birthplaces of the nation largely surrounded by neighborhoods that will suck your soul out (largely, don't give me the anomalies) while Houston has less of a touristy downtown but decent neighborhoods surrounding it. Houston is a place where you can live largely the way you choose, living in a quasi-suburban house is possible in Houston, but not in Philadelphia. I'm sure if that article was mentioned on Swamplot, they'd have a field day with it.

Philly and Houston are nothing alike. For example, Philadelphia's main draw is being one of the birthplaces of the nation largely surrounded by neighborhoods that will suck your soul out (largely, don't give me the anomalies) while Houston has less of a touristy downtown but decent neighborhoods surrounding it. Houston is a place where you can live largely the way you choose, living in a quasi-suburban house is possible in Houston, but not in Philadelphia. I'm sure if that article was mentioned on Swamplot, they'd have a field day with it.

Maybe they're not similar in the ways you mentioned, but the ones the article sites? I've never been there and have no knowledge of it, so I can't really comment. But no doubt there are drastic differences for even the most comparable cities.

I always think it's futile to compare cities in general. Each is it's own creature with it's own environment and context. Sure each might have their similarities and differences, but both are not the "same". Houston is Houston and Philly is Philly. Big deal. I rather talk about what makes Philly great or terrible in its own way from others. The same with Houston. That's more interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Always love to see articles talking about Houstonians/Texans not paying taxes.

Have they seen our property tax rates? 

I get the impression these articles are frequently written by young freelancers just out of college and living in apartments on either the east or west coast, having neither visited or, god forbid, having lived in Texas.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived