World's 50 Most Valuable Sports Teams - Forbes

Sunstar

Soccer is big on Planet Earth; even more so outside the U. S.

To the local sportscaster, whose name I forget right now, it is pronounced re-al' like the "re" in do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do and "al" like Al Michaels not like "rod and reel." When I first heard him say real Madrid I thought, "Is there an ersatz Madrid then too?"

It works the same way for a little street here called El Camino Real too. Jokingly, we'd ask where you'd find a fake El Camino?

Then Ford produced the Ranchero...and the fake El Camino became all too re-ál then.

$1.2 billion, is that before or after Andre leaves town? As this looks to be a return to rebuilding the team, how long before that figure begins to erode?

It works the same way for a little street here called El Camino Real too. Jokingly, we'd ask where you'd find a fake El Camino?

Then Ford produced the Ranchero...and the fake El Camino became all too re-ál then.

$1.2 billion, is that before or after Andre leaves town? As this looks to be a return to rebuilding the team, how long before that figure begins to erode?

Wouldnt matter.

Houston is such a football crazy city we could have a crappy team that misses the playoffs almost every year and people would still shell out millions to go to every Texans game and buy all the merchandise.........

......oh wait, we do.

Isn't real in English and Spanish the exact same word and meaning?

Nope.  In this context, "real" in Spanish generally means "royal" or "regal."  It's a derivation of "rey," or king.

Judging from some of the comments in this piece, it appears to have been written sometime during or after the various 2012 seasons. I'd expect the cited values to have increased in some instances since then, particularly the NBA teams given the staggering valuation that's been placed on the Clippers as a result of Steve Ballmer's bid to buy them. 

Archived