SoDo On Main: Multifamily At 1625 Main St.

lockmat

It's almost hard to believe the transformation this city is undergoing.

It really is.

I remember browsing HAIF in worse times when nothing was being built and we only got a new announcement every few weeks/months. We would all get giddy over an announcement of a 5 story mid-rise multifamily going up inside the loop.....

Times have changed. Remember this boys and girls, cherish it. We may never see another boom like this in our lifetimes...dont take any of it for granted....

• Like 4

Ok so I'll ask the question some of you have surely been wondering...since Skyhouse seems to be building like crazy here..how much longer until we see the 4th or even 5th? And where...

Later in 2015? My best guess is Memorial City (they need residential and the V shaped 3rd sky house roof design would match it perfectly) or around Hermann Park.

• Like 1

Even better, how long until we start hearing complaints from the "McSkyhouses" crowd?

Little boxes

Little boxes

Little boxes made of ticky tack

Little boxes

Little skyhouse boxes

And they all look the same.

There. I went there!

No more waiting! Whoot!

Ha! :)

I am, of course, kidding.... I am not a fan of skyhouses (they seem to target demographically my kids, not me). But, I am a fan of those two buildings downtown! Go Skyhouse!

• Like 1

Swtsig, it is amazing and even though there may have been a larger impact on downtown in the late 70's early 80's boom,

this boom is doing so much more on a much wider basis including every part of the city and also many more segments of the overall quality of life issues, with both Buffalo Bayou park, Herman park, MATCH, the rail lines, the museums which are going to be starting sometime soon and the Medical Center. All of the Universities are seeing large expansion projects and the petrochemical industry and port of Houston are seeing huge growth and expansion. Hobby airport is adding international flights and terminals and United is helping to remodel terminal D at Intercontinental. I think in many ways this boom is much more important for the city. This boom is definitely the game changer! I can't wait to see what people say who come to the Superbowl in 2017,  after coming to the one in 2004. This is a whole new city

• Like 2

I like the Memorial City idea, would really give some character (sorta) to the EC. IM gonna throw the unexpected curve ball of WestChase. I think those cluster of buildings could use a residential tower somewhere among the new Millennium Phillips 66, and Samsung towers

heres SkyHouse Buckhead. note the V shaped angular roof. throw some LEDs along the roofline and it would match the rest of the Memorial City skyline perfectly. 

Screen%20Shot%202013-12-31%20at%209.20.1

Memorial City

628x471.jpg

mem-city-gateway-drawing.jpg

Eh.. I completely agree with densifying downtown, but I don't think we should ignore all the other existing skylines/urban areas. Memorial City needs residential, and the west side completely lacks any high rise residential options. I love a good dense area, but I would rather make the existing areas more livable.

True, but im with Texasota, I dont want any other midrises or highrises to go up anywhere else in the city until downtown and midtown are completely full.

We got a long ways to go downtown, so I wouldnt care if they built 10 more Skyhouses. As long as we are eating up surface parking, Im good.

I made that sane remark months ago. In fact it was double. Skyhouse isn't very attractive in my opinion, but I said I would take 20 of them downtown if they were eating up empty lots

• Like 2

What would the implications be of upping the number again, to say....10,000 units?

Is the limit only 5,000 units for the incentive? Well it should surley be moved up in my opinion to at least 20,000 units. Midtown should also have these incentives and require that the buildings be at least 5 or more stories, no parking requirements, no set backs, power lines must be placed underground and the sidewalks must be as wide as the ones you see in NYC.

Edited by citykid09
  • Like 2

What would the implications be of upping the number again, to say....10,000 units?

Money.

Taxpayer money vs. Developer money.

I am concerned that if the incentive (tax abatements over 15 years) continue, downtown will be little more that a bunch of apartments. A mix of apartments and condos are needed. Homeownership puts a bit of a stake in the ground where rental units don't. I think that the incentive is leading folks to develop rental units over condos. And that concerns me for the long term.

• Like 1

Money.

Taxpayer money vs. Developer money.

I am concerned that if the incentive (tax abatements over 15 years) continue, downtown will be little more that a bunch of apartments. A mix of apartments and condos are needed. Homeownership puts a bit of a stake in the ground where rental units don't. I think that the incentive is leading folks to develop rental units over condos. And that concerns me for the long term.

I agree that we need more homes "for sale" in downtown.

I think though that even if we extended the tax abatements to ~10k units, there would still be an ocean of surface parking available to build more offices/condos or what have you. We dont exactly have a shortage of land in downtown yet.