SoDo On Main: Multifamily At 1625 Main St.

lockmat

I was told today that they plan to build another one on the block south of their downtown site. However, I think he said it wouldn't be for 10 more years. I guess a lot could happen in that time.

Webcam:

http://oxblue.com/open/skyhouseapartments

Rendering and info:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2015/02/11/another-skyhouse-apartment-tower-breaks-ground.html

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/3818961/skyhouse-main.jpg

• Like 1

I thought there were rumors at one point within the last year of a 7-8 story apartment midrise being built on the block south of SkyHouse?

I guess the real question is.. Who owns that block?

good question. It's not "skyhouston llc"

• Like 1

I was told today that they plan to build another one on the block south of their downtown site. However, I think he said it wouldn't be for 10 more years. I guess a lot could happen in that time.

I can certainly see how Novarre would want to secure a lot adjacent to their original building for a future development. But, the "ten years" part makes little sense to me. If skyhouse is a success -- the owners are completely happy --- and it is determined that the market will hold another skyhouse (in light of all the other resi consteuction going on downtown), why would they wait 10 years to build it?

• Like 1

particularly if they can go ahead and secure a subsidy...

Yep.

If the building is doing nicely, and the market looks good for another building AND your portfolio of properties supports another building in Houston, given the subsidy, why would one wait?

Oh well, I guess we will find out as time passes,

• Like 1

That soil test is on the lot south of sky house? We were just talking about that block in the downtown subforum..

yes it is.  I heard that at one time alliance was eyeing this lot for residential but maybe the source was wrong?  Could belong to skyhouse...

• Like 1

I think we determined SkyHouse LLC doesn't own this lot.. Though idk if it's the same owners as Alliance, either?

Isn't it owned by Amegy Bank?  That's what I find in HCAD.  No sale has been recorded.  So it could just as easily be SkyHouse, Alliance, or someone else altogether...

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

From what I heard, this will be another skyhouse, similar in design and height. It supposedly will start somewhat soon. Please take this with a grain of salt, not confirmed, but sounds promising... I know lockmat said he thought the next skyhouse was years out, not sure what to make of that and the info I just got.

• Like 1

Interesting tidbit of info! I didn't realize samples "expired" after 6 months. DrLan was the one I originally read saying Alliance was rumored to build something on this block/south of SkyHouse, and the same one who posted soil sample pictures in the going up sub forum under Block 334(?). He has also heard this may be another SkyHouse, but on a much quicker timeline.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

Whatttt... So DrLan.. You and lockmat have each heard it will be another sky house, from different sources? Seems kind of strange they would plop another right next to the downtown site given the multiple sky houses in Atlanta are spread across the city and our city is even bigger than Atlanta with more urban areas that could stand to see a SkyHouse development.

I wonder why they would build two exact designs side by side. Going for the twin tower approach, a la The Mosaics? You would think they would use the newest/3rd SkyHouse design and build that elsewhere.

Edited by cloud713

Whatttt... So DrLan.. You and lockmat have each heard it will be another sky house, from different sources? Seems kind of strange they would plop another right next to the downtown site given the multiple sky houses in Atlanta are spread across the city and our city is even bigger than Atlanta with more urban areas that could stand to see a SkyHouse development.

I wonder why they would build two exact designs side by side. Going for the twin tower approach, a la The Mosaics? You would think they would use the newest/3rd SkyHouse design and build that elsewhere.

FWIW, it has been reported that they are considering building a second SkyHouse in Charlotte next door to the first Charlotte SkyHouse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From what I heard, this will be another skyhouse, similar in design and height. It supposedly will start somewhat soon. Please take this with a grain of salt, not confirmed, but sounds promising... I know lockmat said he thought the next skyhouse was years out, not sure what to make of that and the info I just got.

this strategy - of not announcing anything until construction starts - has been used by them before... for example: River Oaks Skyhouse

• Thanks 1

I would say one Skyhouse is enough, not something I want to see made a replica of.  I'm praying we move onto better things.

perhaps you should be thankful that apartment developers are so bullish on downtown Houston that they would consider developing not one but TWO HIGHRISES across the street from each other in relatively short order.

but tha's probably not as fun as complaining, i'm sure.

• Like 9

perhaps you should be thankful that apartment developers are so bullish on downtown Houston that they would consider developing not one but TWO HIGHRISES across the street from each other in relatively short order.

but tha's probably not as fun as complaining, i'm sure.

I would be greatful, excited, and glad if they built another one Downtown. The more residents the better. Ok, so the tower isn't as ugly as some of our other residential towers (mercer, dominion come to mind), but it is not far behind in the bland department.