White Oak Music Hall At 2915 N. Main St.

Triton

Turns out they are going to build an events place just a block away from my place. All my neighbors are worried since the lot is quite large. I've got mixed feelings since they did a massive sound test a few months ago and I worry they'll be playing loud music late into the night. But I also see it that I'll be able to walk to this place... so I don't know what to feel right now.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ofVQ5y]14608782512_01897b05f5_h.jpg

The address is 2915 N Main St, Houston, TX 77009.

Edit: For clarification, I'm no where near 100% this is a concert hall, but my neighbors are believing that to be the case. I plan on contacting the city to find out more about it.

Edited by Urbannizer
  • Like 1

If it were me - I would hate having a loud neighbor like that.  You can't put a price on peace and quiet.  You just need to find where the owner lives, and then set up shop next door to him during the day and host a drum training studio or something similar.

That doesn't always work, arche, but it's a pretty funny idea.

You see, I grew up 4 houses down from what was the Peppermint Lounge at E. 26th and N. Main. During the 80's, the mariachis would stand in the gravel parking lot across 26th and practice. The jukebox inside was blaring all kinds of rancheros until it closed down at 2am...ish every night.

The problem was, the owner lived in the yellow house directly across the street from the cantina, so she obviously wasn't bothered by the loud music.

I can attest to your comment above. Whatever kind of "concert hall" this becomes will result in whatever peace and quiet that might exist now, surrounding the 2900 block of N. Main, being lost.

I could write an entire book on the shenanigans that used to transpire at the Peppermint, the Peppermint's sister The Oriente on 25th and Main, and to a lesser extent C&F on 27th and Main, during the 80's. We certainly made our fair share of money pushing those drunk bastards out of the ditches every night, lol.

• Like 1

That doesn't always work, arche, but it's a pretty funny idea.

You see, I grew up 4 houses down from what was the Peppermint Lounge at E. 26th and N. Main. During the 80's, the mariachis would stand in the gravel parking lot across 26th and practice. The jukebox inside was blaring all kinds of rancheros until it closed down at 2am...ish every night.

The problem was, the owner lived in the yellow house directly across the street from the cantina, so she obviously wasn't bothered by the loud music.

I can attest to your comment above. Whatever kind of "concert hall" this becomes will result in whatever peace and quiet that might exist now, surrounding the 2900 block of N. Main, being lost.

I could write an entire book on the shenanigans that used to transpire at the Peppermint, the Peppermint's sister The Oriente on 25th and Main, and to a lesser extent C&F on 27th and Main, during the 80's. We certainly made our fair share of money pushing those drunk bastards out of the ditches every night, lol.

Now I can hear the music in my head... and I've now got a craving for Tex-Mex for dinner!

My suggestion was going to the owners place of residence during their sleeping hours and playing loud music!  Perhaps a little Slayer or Iron Maiden (since it was the 80s) would have persuaded your neighbor that mariachi music into the wee hours of the morning wasn't the best idea.

• Like 1

You must've known me back then, with the long hair, Doc Martens, and black t-shirts. Slayer and Maiden were right up my alley back then...

Who am I kidding? I think my "En Vivo" Maiden cassette is in the glove box of the truck. You've got your dinner plans, I've got my soundtrack for the drive home! Thanks, arche!

Wish I'd have had a loud enough stereo to have seen your idea through back then. You're right, that'd have been some sweet payback for my neighbors and I.

• Like 2

That area is pretty residential. For both the living and the dead. 2915 would be nearly right across from Hollywood and basically next door to the old Stuart's Drive-In, wouldn't it?

I couldn't imagine Rockefeller's setting up their new digs here. Maybe, but I suspect a hall for quinceneras, weddings and such is much more likely.

Edited by Purpledevil
  • Like 1

Wow, so I learned from the developer today that this place is going to be massive. I'll provide a full list tomorrow including a map of just how much property they actually bought! All my neighbors are thinking about filling complaints but none will do so until the developer publishes the final design. Planned construction is October 1st of this year. This is going to be the next big music venue in Houston... let me just say that. Again, I'll provide more details tomorrow.

Wow, so I learned from the developer today that this place is going to be massive. I'll provide a full list tomorrow including a map of just how much property they actually bought! All my neighbors are thinking about filling complaints but none will do so until the developer publishes the final design. Planned construction is October 1st of this year. This is going to be the next big music venue in Houston... let me just say that. Again, I'll provide more details tomorrow.

Tap, tap, tap...Getting impatient for the promised update.  ;-)

• Like 1

I had to wait until I got more facts from the Glen Park meeting...

So my neighborhood had a meeting today at 6pm to discuss minimum lot size and becoming historical, but before we even talked about that, my neighborhood was in an uproar about this development. Apparently it is the new location for Fitzgeralds. Yes, Fitzgeralds is moving from White Oak to here... hence, "White Oak Events, LLC" on the sign. And it's going to be a massive complex with multiple stages, including an outdoor stage that overlooks the city and the small creek. They also bought the property across the street for parking. Now, based on what was said at the meeting, I'm not 100% sure that this is a new Fitzgeralds but it is 100% being built and run by the same people who own Fitzgeralds. We will have to just wait and see...

Anyway, here is the property it will be built on, including the parking lot across the street:

14479892699_e9d3c74b04_b.jpg

Surprising if Fitzgerald's is really relocating to this new venue from their current location on White Oak - so much history, musical and otherwise, in that old building. I could easily see them opening a second location, however. Fitzgerald's owner is the driving force behind Free Press Houston, and given that Free Press Summer Fest has continued to grow by leaps and bounds, it makes a lot of sense for them to own a year-round venue with a larger capacity than Fitzgerald's, not to mention an outdoor stage. 

Surprising if Fitzgerald's is really relocating to this new venue from their current location on White Oak - so much history, musical and otherwise, in that old building. I could easily see them opening a second location, however. Fitzgerald's owner is the driving force behind Free Press Houston, and given that Free Press Summer Fest has continued to grow by leaps and bounds, it makes a lot of sense for them to own a year-round venue with a larger capacity than Fitzgerald's, not to mention an outdoor stage. 

History? I dont think some of these new folks know or give a .... about the Heights history. 'Progess' is what theyre calling it. SMH 

IF they close it down, it would be sad thing. Ive attended so many shows there since 82. Now if they can start bringing back some qualty music.....;). Im getting old.

• Like 1

History? I dont think some of these new folks know or give a .... about the Heights history. 'Progess' is what theyre calling it. SMH

IF they close it down, it would be sad thing. Ive attended so many shows there since 82. Now if they can start bringing back some qualty music.....;). Im getting old.

You're getting old? I remember when this thing was still a dance hall named the Dom Polski!

I've dripped many a bead of sweat in that oven too. I've seen Fitz so packed, you couldn't have escaped to literally save your life. If they close it down, can you believe that would leave Numbers standing as the last original venue of our time and area?

My God, I fIrst met my wife at Fitz! I still mess with her today about that "Cure" hairdo she had back then, lol. I would hope after all of the money they have spent repairing Fitz White Oak, they'd keep them both open, if this is to be Fitz North Main.

• Like 1

You're getting old? I remember when this thing was still a dance hall named the Dom Polski!

I've dripped many a bead of sweat in that oven too. I've seen Fitz so packed, you couldn't have escaped to literally save your life. If they close it down, can you believe that would leave Numbers standing as the last original venue of our time and area?

My God, I fIrst met my wife at Fitz! I still mess with her today about that "Cure" hairdo she had back then, lol. I would hope after all of the money they have spent repairing Fitz White Oak, they'd keep them both open, if this is to be Fitz North Main.

Thats awesome! Numbers...so many great memories there too. Some I cant remember. "Cure hairdo". The paper photos that we still have...LOL Between the old structure and all of the hairspray...we were in a fire hazard area for sure. 

I also hope its a second location.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If this really is Fitzgeralds new location it's kinda bittersweet. On one hand I'm excited to see them grow and establish themselves as one of Houston's most popular venues, but on the other hand I really wish it could've been a new desperate venue. This just means one will open while the other closes, unless someone else decides to move in...

I've PM'd Mab the renderings. If anyone else wants to see them, just PM me and I'll share them. DO NOT post them anywhere (Not Flickr, Swamplot, Skyscraperpage, no where!) or I'll get in a lot of trouble.

• Like 1

So plenty of people have already asked me some of the same questions, so I'll just post it here. This is not a second location but the location for Fitzgerald's. It's a 1500 capacity concert venue with both indoor and outdoor stages. The developer is wanting to build a new street from North St. to Ideal St. for traffic purposes. Whether the bridge they build will be for pedestrian purposes or cars, that is unclear. They will also be installing new lighting on the North Main bridge over Little White Oak Creek and they will transform Little White Oak Creek to make it more pleasing to the eye... there is trash everywhere right now. The outdoor parts will have incredible views of downtown which you can see in the renderings. The city is working very closely with them. All new sidewalks, all new trees, parks, etc. This will be a major development for this area. We'll probably want to move this to Going Up! soon especially since this isn't even really the Heights.

• Like 1

A little "blast from the past" from the historic Fitz. This is a Fitzgerald's concert poster from April 1st, 1994. Sorry it's a little hard to see, but I turned a black light on it to show its reflective aspect. The headliner was Dixie Waste, Poor Dumb Bastards was the opening act upstairs, F**kEmos was on the Zelda's stage downstairs.

post-12796-0-35820100-1406930864_thumb.j