Century Square: Mixed-Use Development In College Station

I feel that the plan is a bit of a let-down (it's basically a conference center hotel + strip mall + apartments) but it sure sounds like a neat concept (will be finished after I leave this town, sadly). It's a bit like a scaled-down version of CityCentre, but that area isn't wealthy like Memorial City is.

I feel that the plan is a bit of a let-down (it's basically a conference center hotel + strip mall + apartments) but it sure sounds like a neat concept (will be finished after I leave this town, sadly). It's a bit like a scaled-down version of CityCentre, but that area isn't wealthy like Memorial City is.

I couldn't disagree more.  College Station is a grossly under served market.  You have 40,000+ students coming from Dallas/Houston/Austin/San Antonio that are all used to nice things in those towns.  Just like CityCentre in west Houston, this place will be hugely successful.  West Houston was starved for entertainment for decades and CityCentre proved that.  The hotel is also badly needed.  You can't expect something on the scale that Houston can expect, but this is a big boost for the town and university.   

College Station is underserved in a lot of areas. There will be some 25% more people coming into town for football games, and the hotel building is ramping up but not restaurants. Grocery stores are pretty average too. Problem is maintaining these sorts of things year round.

The fact there are so few multi-family or midrise residential in this plan baffles me. I guess its a great first step and is huge improvement from what is there right now, but still I'm very disappointed in the overall planning of this.... *sigh*

Edited by Luminare

Considering the rest of the architectural gems that adorn that town (excluding Bryan's downtown and the A&M campus), this is easily what anyone in College Station should consider a remarkable development.

I mean what did you expect?  City Center?  Which by the way, this development is similar to, except this is College Station not the Memorial area of Houston.

Edited by arche_757

It's interesting to see all the orange accents in the renderings.  Any bets that those details get changed before completion?

Edit:  The fact that the tent in my avatar is orange is a mere coincidence.  It is a popular color in the small tent world.  I have always cherished my neutrality in what used to be called the Southwest Conference.

Edited by mollusk

Seems like Post Oak Mall will be more affected by this than any of the nearby shopping centers. The nearby shopping centers are going to continue to benefit from easy parking, but how many students will drive to Post Oak Mall when this is a walk away?

Of course the overall selection, a/c, and department stores will ensure they maintain a niche, but it will be a smaller niche.

Post Oak Mall has been deteriorating for years (not a dead mall, but certainly a tired one, despite recent renovations) and is no longer thought of as the city's prime retail destination. Students tend to stay away from it. Arguably, one of POM's biggest killers has been the Cypress outlet mall miles away.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2014/11/first-look-citycentre-developers-embark-on-major.html

In the center of the project, Midway has partnered with Valencia Group to build two full-service, boutique hotels: The George (160 rooms) and Cavalry Court (140 rooms). Currently, there's one full-service hotel in the College Station market.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Two four star-ish hotels across the street from campus and a quarter mile from the Chicken will do fantastic business.  The Hilton has been the only player in that space for so long, it makes me wonder if something shady was keeping it that way.

Two four star-ish hotels across the street from campus and a quarter mile from the Chicken will do fantastic business.  The Hilton has been the only player in that space for so long, it makes me wonder if something shady was keeping it that way.

It's fun to speculate, but really it's just been a vastly under-served market. The town lives and dies from how big the university gets. The biggest change is the entire valley is transforming into a research/biomedcial corridor. Then you add on top the explosive growth A&M has had in the last decade and it's been a completely different town....well now is technically a small city.

It's fun to speculate, but really it's just been a vastly under-served market. The town lives and dies from how big the university gets. The biggest change is the entire valley is transforming into a research/biomedcial corridor. Then you add on top the explosive growth A&M has had in the last decade and it's been a completely different town....well now is technically a small city.

That and the next ring road tollway of Houston will be cutting through just north of TWS.

Only half joking.

Awesome.  Nice hotels and entertainment near campus and Northgate will do incredibly well.

There is also talk of a full service hotel as part of the Kyle Field redevelopment.  There's a campus master plan that shows a hotel and conference amenities near, or connected to Kyle Field. 

There is also talk of a full service hotel as part of the Kyle Field redevelopment.  There's a campus master plan that shows a hotel and conference amenities near, or connected to Kyle Field. 

The vision 20/20 master plan? or from a newer version? I don't remember seeing anything about a hotel and conference space at Kyle field. Not doubting you, but where did you get this from?

The vision 20/20 master plan? or from a newer version? I don't remember seeing anything about a hotel and conference space at Kyle field. Not doubting you, but where did you get this from?

There was some chatter not too long ago about replacing Cain Hall with a hotel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...