Most pedestrian unfriendly area in Houston?

Topic title says it all, what's the most pedestrian unfriendly neighborhood in Houston? Before people start rattling off the usual suspects, I don't mean petty complaints, like "I don't like walking under bridges" or "Businesses are far too set back from the street", or anything that tends to mess with the "urban ideal", but truly troublesome areas. Narrow sidewalks next to fast roads (like, say, a non-ADA compliant width sidewalk or less next to a road with no ROW between the curb and private property), a lack of any sidewalks (and what's left isn't even, that is, even a mountain bike would have a difficult time), no crosswalks at stoplights, no curb cuts, et cetera.

The West Loop in general - no sidewalks, lots of fast traffic.  I once made the mistake of thinking I could walk from one building to its next door neighbor.  I ended up turning around and getting my car.

I wouldn't say that.  Any neighborhood will be easily walkable provided it does not have Westheimer (or similar) roads running right down the middle of it.

Take the neighborhood between Rice - Bissonnet from Morningside - Main... of all that area mentioned only Rice and Bissonnet would be what I consider "unfriendly" towards pedestrians.  Even Main south of the Montrose Oval is pedestrian friendly with big sidewalks and plenty of room for walkers, the rest of that area is easily walkable and not at all a hazard to pedestrians.  Since most of Houston is low scale, single family homes in neighborhoods with big leafy trees (Houston proper) I would say much of it is much more walkable than most of us think.

99% of the city

That statement coming from a person who admits he rarely ventures outside the Inner Loop, this is pretty funny...and according to COH, only 15% of Houston's land is inside the loop. Yeah, I know you were exaggerating, but I have a feeling there are parts of the city you didn't know existed. Go out and explore...I guarantee you'll find some great places.

A significant number of the outside the loop neighborhoods were built without any sidewalks at all - the only reason you don't get mown down walking in the street is because it's quiet, residential traffic.

A significant number of the outside the loop neighborhoods were built without any sidewalks at all - the only reason you don't get mown down walking in the street is because it's quiet, residential traffic.

Less traffic does tend to lend points to pedestrian friendliness. Sidewalks aren't always everything. I suppose another major factor is lighted areas. I can understand not wanting to walk under a bridge if it's poorly lit, but such a thing like that is easily solved.

Another place where one takes life by the horns - at the exit to a downtown parking garage just before evening drive time, when people come flying out in hopes of getting ahead of traffic.

That statement coming from a person who admits he rarely ventures outside the Inner Loop, this is pretty funny...and according to COH, only 15% of Houston's land is inside the loop. Yeah, I know you were exaggerating, but I have a feeling there are parts of the city you didn't know existed. Go out and explore...I guarantee you'll find some great places.

I've been all around houston. Sunny side, fifth ward, Jensen, gulfton, third ward before gentrification, places you wouldn't go if someone paid you. Leave your talking points to college station.

I believe this topic started as a question on the most unfriendly areas in the City of Houston, not metro area.  We all know unincorporated areas of Harris County would probably take the cake if the Metropolitan area were being discussed.

Orlando just built a rail line that is longer than all of ours combined.

So?  In 50 years which Metro area will have more transit options (excluding Disney) Orlando or Houston?

I'm putting all of my money on Houston.  We have an inept transit agency + a booming population that will demand options as we site mired in traffic from one end of town to the other.

So? In 50 years which Metro area will have more transit options (excluding Disney) Orlando or Houston?

I'm putting all of my money on Houston. We have an inept transit agency + a booming population that will demand options as we site mired in traffic from one end of town to the other.

Orlando's will be 60 miles soon. I see no expansion past this year based on current politicians.

You're correct.  But in the long run Houston will have a bigger system.  Eventually the masses will demand something, and local politicos who don't listen will not be in office very long.  The "good old boys" while still around, are slowly being replaced.  The rest of us just have to bide our time.

You said it yourself

Good grief. You'll find every opportunity to bash Houston because it's not like other cities, and then suddenly switch sides and discredit anyone else's opinion because "they don't live in Houston", all in the same thread. Good grief.  <_<

Archived