Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
s3mh

Braun to redevelop 4721 N. Main

58 posts in this topic

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/1929-buy-five-redevelop-five-sell-one-million/

This is the old strip center with Cappellini's.  Sounds like they will clear out some old tenants from the article, but have not heard anything beyond the vague hints in the link.  With four big apartment complexes coming and lots of renovations and new construction in the area, it looks like is time for the retail "other shoe" to drop.  

This is Tampico Heights, right?

In spirit, but not by the official boundaries.  Tampico Heights extends only to the east side of N. Main according to some guy with a website. 

What four big apartment complexes? On N Main?

Kinda weird that they bought this shopping center. It isn't really that bad. The motel next door between this shopping center and Spanish Flowers needs to be torn down. It used to have a prostitution ring going on there back in the 70s and 80s.

The motel next door between this shopping center and Spanish Flowers needs to be torn down. It used to have a prostitution ring going on there back in the 70s and 80s.

Disagree. The Admiral Motel's an exemplar of the area's local charm. I'm not aware of any prostitution rings going on there now, and would be sad to see it plowed under in favor of more featureless redevelopment.

1 person likes this

Disagree. The Admiral Motel's an exemplar of the area's local charm. I'm not aware of any prostitution rings going on there now, and would be sad to see it plowed under in favor of more featureless redevelopment.

It's true that there used to be prostitution there in the early 80's. I dont know about now though. The 'ladies' used to walk the street late at night and talk to my friends and I while we rode our bikes. I do think this place need's to go or be remodeled. I really hope there isnt a huge apartment complex going up there. I do feel that its going to start working its way down Main to 45. 

What four big apartment complexes? On N Main?

I think the comment was about Heights retail in general, not just N. Main.

There are large multi-family projects either in process or planned for:

- Yale b/w 6th and 7th

- Yale b/w 5th and 6th

- Watson & Usener (Skylane site)

- 24th and Nicholson

Over 1000 units combined.

The Admiral would make a cool boutique style'd hotel. 

It has its charm, but is the neighborhood (Tampico Heights) ready for boutique hotels?

I think the comment was about Heights retail in general, not just N. Main.

There are large multi-family projects either in process or planned for:

- Yale b/w 6th and 7th

- Yale b/w 5th and 6th

- Watson & Usener (Skylane site)

- 24th and Nicholson

Over 1000 units combined.

Correct.  Of course, the net would be 800ish with the demo of Skylane. 

It has its charm, but is the neighborhood (Tampico Heights) ready for boutique hotels?

I think so... there is lack of available hotel space in the near vacinity.  I would want to see a bit more development along Main first but I still think it would do well. 

He just wants the vintage neon for himself, lol! Edited by Purpledevil

Correct.  Of course, the net would be 800ish with the demo of Skylane. 

I would have thought that given the size of the replacement, Usener would be a net increase in total units.

I haven't seen the newest plans for 5th and Yale, or any plans for 24th and Nicholson, but both could be in the 300+ range, and 6th and Yale is ~350.  I'd still guess net it's >1000.

I would have thought that given the size of the replacement, Usener would be a net increase in total units.

I haven't seen the newest plans for 5th and Yale, or any plans for 24th and Nicholson, but both could be in the 300+ range, and 6th and Yale is ~350.  I'd still guess net it's >1000.

You are right.  Skylane always looks bigger up on that little hill than it really is.  I think it only had 76 units.  So, a net increase of 200 units (Elan Heights is supposed to be 276 units).

TC's development does look like it will be over 600 units, possibly 700.  The JLB development is a real wild card.  They tend to go with 4-6 story complexes, but have done bigger ones.  I would expect at least 250 units. 

Whether it is 800 or 1000, that is a lot of people coming into the area, which will be a big driver for demand for retail. 

Whether it is 800 or 1000, that is a lot of people coming into the area, which will be a big driver for demand for retail. 

Let's start some irresponsible rumors about HEB replacing the Grocer's Supply on Studemont.   :D

Looks like the footprint stays the same. Mostly a facelift and (some) new tenants.

Any ideas of what's going on infront of this strip center? It used to be Aztec Iron but I believe the property was sold a while back and the iron fence came down this week.

Update on Morningstar Coffee opening at Heights Place at 4721 N Main from Culturemap:

Finally, inner-Loopers are eagerly awaiting the arrival of Morningstar, the new donut shop in the Heights created by Blacksmith owners David Buehrer and Ecky Prabanto. If all goes according to plan, it should open in the next few weeks.

Morningstar, David Buehrer and Ecky Prabanto's coffee and donut shop at 4721 N Main is slated to open this month. Will also serve breakfast and lunch.

Here are pictures of the construction progress from September from Sprudge:

IMG_20150830_112653-740x555.jpg

morning-star-740x547.jpg

morning-build-740x555.jpg

From Sprudge:

Can you tell us a bit about the new space?

In a lot of ways it’s as Houston as it gets. We befriended John Zemanek, a 93-year-old modernist architect who helped start the University of Houston College of Architecture 50 years ago. He also was on the design team behind the Astrodome, and is the most awarded architect in Houston. He’s also a World War II veteran and Harvard graduate. A total badass, at 93 he is still the sharpest, most forward-thinking architect I’ve encountered here. The interior is filled with his humanist style of open air but enclosed space, with lots of private seating alongside natural elements.

Does anyone have any updated pictures of the progress? Is it different from the proposed rendering below?

Morningstar-coffee-Heights_131620.jpg

From CultureMap's Houston's 10 most-anticipated bar and restaurant openings of winter 2016, a blurb about Morningstar:

The upcoming coffee and doughnut shop from Greenway Coffee/Blacksmith owners David Buehrer and Ecky Prabanto looks set for a February opening. Like Blacksmith, Morningstar will feature a full menu of breakfast and lunch items, but it's the addition of doughnuts that will set it apart. Buehrer has occasionally tweeted previews of items like chai cake donuts and roasted pineapple and kaffir lime fritters that have had diners salivating. Design by celebrated University of Houston architecture professor John Zemanek should also set the space apart from just about every other cafe in town.

There's another Treadsack concept opening next door to Foreign Correspondents in The Heights Place at 4721 N. Main: Canard, a cocktail bar at 4721 N Main, Ste B:

From CultureMap:

Restaurant group reveals plans to open ambitious cocktail bar that's just ducky

The time has come to reveal one of the more poorly kept secrets in Houston's restaurant community. Treadsack, the Heights-based restaurant group that opened Johnny's Gold Brick, Hunky Dory, Foreign Correspondents, and Bernadine's in 2015, has another project in the works. 

Anyone who's visited Foreign Correspondents may have noticed the space next door that appears to be connected to the restaurant but is obscured by paper over its windows. Now that the four openings are behind them, Treadsack CEO Chris Cusack, director of restaurant operations Benjy Mason, and bar director Leslie Ross are ready to talk about that space, which is set to open on Leap Day

"This is a bar project that Leslie and I have been working on for a little over a year," Cusack tells CultureMap. "It’s called Canard. That is the French word for 'duck.' It also means rumors . . . I feel like a lot of Leslie and my working relationship has involved some sort of story or some sort of rumor. We thought it would be a pretty funny acknowledgement of that."

Ross developed the cocktail menu for Johnny's and the three restaurants but hasn't worked regularly behind the bar at any of them for longer than a week or two after opening. That all changes at Canard, which will mark her fulltime return to bartending and serve as a showcase for her most creative ideas. 

"This bar was pretty much the carrot at the end of the stick when I came over to Treadsack and what we knew was going to be the four openings that we managed to do last year," Ross says. "I feel like I’m even more well-rounded than I was when I came into this . . . It was hard. I cried a lot. Not because it was bad, but that’s what it’s like to work that hard and care that much."

Turning to specifics, Canard will offer its patrons a variety of experiences.

At the high end, the bar's cocktail menu will feature Ross's elaborate concoctions, such as one named The Lyan & The Unicorn after a bar in London that Ross admires. Originally developed for the Bombay Sapphire Most Imaginative Bartender competition, the drink takes its inspiration from the game cricket and features a tea tincture with capsaicin and "sugar cubes" that are actually compressed young coconut jelly.

Similarly, the Belladonna cocktail mixes two types of vermouth with absinthe and a layer of crème de violette for a milky, opalescent appearance that's sure to cause anyone who sees it to ask "what is that?"

In addition to the elaborate house cocktails, the bar features some pre-made cocktails that can be served quickly. Labeled "optics" after antique devices for serving measured liquor pours that Ross and her boyfriend Frank Krockenberger collect, the cocktails will be displayed in bottles behind the bar. Ultimately, aged verticals of cocktails or spirits could be served via the optics. 

"The way the cocktails will be set up is all about hosting and hospitality. The guests come first," Ross says. "Nobody wants to wait 10 minutes for a cocktail. That’s ridiculous."

On the more casual end, the bar will also serve as a place where people who are dining at Foreign Correspondents can have a vodka and soda before or after their meal. Prices will be reasonable, too. A draft menu proposes $8 highballs and cocktails that top out at $14.  

Instead of having a huge back bar, Canard will feature a good/better/best version of popular spirits that the bartenders are passionate about. The key will be hiring people who match Ross's outgoing, vivacious personality and are willing to learn the intricacies of both the cocktails and the spirits. If it all comes together, the result should be a level of personal service that will help set Canard apart.

"There’s going to be measures put in place where the guests can interact with the bartender, and the bartender is there to be a true host and show people a good time," Ross says. "As much as we know people like to watch us make these things, they also like to talk to you. I’ve never worked at a bar that didn’t have a guest who wanted your attention and to spend time with you. That’s part of what makes bartending so great."

As Mason notes, the ultimate goal of all this work is make Canard a place for people to spend time with their friends, and he thinks Ross is uniquely skilled to make that happen. 

"Leslie comes up with crazy awesome cocktails, and that’s really fun and exciting," Mason says. "But she also has bartended for a really long time, has this deep breadth of experience bartending in all kinds of bars, and understands what the idea of a bar is: a place people go to have fun and drink with their friends."

When the group first announced Johnny's, Ross described the cocktails as "taking haute couture and making it ready-to-wear," does that make Canard the haute couture cocktail bar?

“It’s the haute couture after-party," Cusack says.

“Everything fun happens at the after-party,” Ross quickly adds.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Here's what Morningstar, the coffee and donut shop at The Heights Place (4721 North Main St, Suite M --- this used to be Panaderia Rodriguez or Rodriquez Bakery) is looking like:

IPeNZs7.jpg

[Photo from Greenwaybarista on Instagram]

Morningstar's estimated opening is sometime in March.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
1 person likes this