Jefferson Heights: Multifamily At 1520 N. Memorial Way

Urbannizer

The site is just outside of downtown, bounded by N. Memorial/Trinity/State & Houston Ave. 197 units, Fall 2015 Completion.

Rendering-2014.01.29-Memorial-Night-Shot

http://jpi.com/developments/current-projects/memorial/

Memorial is a planned urban Class A multifamily development, located in the vibrant Washington Corridor submarket of Houston, Texas. The project will have unmatched views of downtown and directaccess to the Buffalo Bayou  /  and entertainment park. Memorial totals 198 residential units on 1.47 acres and is located at the northwest corner of N. Memorial & Houston Ave. The podium style community will have 5-levels of residential over 2-levels of parking. Memorial will feature first  amenities throughout the community as well as the units.

hikebike trailsclass

Rendering-2014.01.29-Memorial-Day-Shot.j

6.png

5.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they're going to move the two grave sites that are located at the corner of Memorial and Houston Ave?

IDK about you guys (and gals), but the thought of living close to the courthouse haunts my dreams. In my own personal hell, I would have to spend eternity in that dingy building waiting to be called in front of a judge. I'll tell you what though; I never feel more appreciative about where I live and the work that I do do than when I'm done w/ a jury summons or had to appear for a ticket.

A prime lot that, to me at least, screams "high rise residential condos" will now be built as yet another bland mid-rise apartment building. While I am happy to see residential development there, I am disappointed.

At one point there was I think. This one at least preserves my view of downtown :)

So they're going to move the two grave sites that are located at the corner of Memorial and Houston Ave?

IDK about you guys (and gals), but the thought of living close to the courthouse haunts my dreams. In my own personal hell, I would have to spend eternity in that dingy building waiting to be called in front of a judge. I'll tell you what though; I never feel more appreciative about where I live and the work that I do do than when I'm done w/ a jury summons or had to appear for a ticket.

been reading any Kafka recently?

The site is just outside of downtown, bounded by N. Memorial/Trinity/State & Houston Ave. 197 units, Fall 2015 Completion.

Rendering-2014.01.29-Memorial-Night-Shot

http://jpi.com/developments/current-projects/memorial/

Rendering-2014.01.29-Memorial-Day-Shot.j

6.png

5.png

Does anyone care to speculate what kind of materials will be used? My guess is it is a mix - like most of the ones we see lately. I am guessing they intend the pink color to be brick and the lightest color to be a stucco type (boo). The grey is possibly a different brick / metal? There is also some inconsistancy in the renderings... the pink color in the "South Elevation" is all the way up. The view from the side angle has it stop on 6th floor. I personally prefer as much brick as possible, and at least brick fully up to the top.

I am unfamiliar with this design / architecture firm. Does anyone know what other projects they have done? I would like to see their quality and a finished product. It would be a shame to put something in this location that doesnt compliment the historic nature of the neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...

They have started clearing the land. A short fence / barrier is in place. The billboard is being removed from the property, as well as the ashphalt that covered a part of the space.

Looks full speed ahead...

This is the same site of the Buffalo Lofts condos that were proposed over 10 years ago. They were ready to start construction, even had a mockup built on site. I guess their pre-sales never materialized.

http://www.fmgdesign.com/uds-portfolio/buffalo-lofts-houston-texas/

very interesting... Buffalo lofts kinds looked like a weird design. Hopefully these new apartments come out well. I wish they tried to compliment the historic district more.

...the latest luxury apartment complex under way in the inner city, a 198-unit complex that will have a pool deck overlooking downtown.

Irving-based JPI/TDI is building the project, Jefferson Heights, at 1520 N. Memorial Way at Houston Avenue on downtown’s northwestern rim.

Construction is expected to be completed in the fall of 2016. Designed by Architecture Demarest, the complex will have one- and two-bedroom units ranging from 607 square feet to 1,253 square feet.

In addition to a resort-style pool, resident amenities will include three courtyards, fire pits, an outdoor kitchen and grill area, common-area WiFi and a fitness center, the developer said in an announcement Monday.

Located near the Buffalo Bayou hike and bike trails, this 1.5-acre tract was once slated for an eight-story condominium building.

Texas Capital Bank provided construction financing. Jones Lang LaSalle arranged equity for the project, as well as a mezzanine loan from Parse Capital.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/06/high-end-apartments-under-way-near-downtown/#21137101=0

How many more luxury units does Houston need? Where are the $800 a monthers going to live? I would bet there are far more of those coming off age or moving to Houston than the $2200 a monthers.

All these new structures are great, but they are being built all across town. This is going to stagnate the density in the loop. Where are all the new middle to lie income residents supposed to live? Spring?

Ten years ago the near parts to downtown was pricey, but you had a range of choices in the southwest, west and north. Now you have to go way past the beltway to find something decent.

I got a roommate in a similar situation for several years till I got married. I knew friends that got a whole house with 4 others with a pool. I read Millennials want their own place though.

Its just that one of the big draws of Houston was the plethora of affordable housing. Kinda sucks that that now means boonies living.

How many more luxury units does Houston need? .

The simple answer is: "as many as you can lease plus one unit."

Keep in mind that there are a lot on young engineers in this town that can afford those rents plus there is a huge trove of downsizing Baby Boomers who can also afford those rents. So, at least for now, in this white hot local economy, more "luxury units" will be built and rents inside the loop will continue to rise.

The simple answer is: "as many as you can lease plus one unit."

Keep in mind that there are a lot on young engineers in this town that can afford those rents plus there is a huge trove of downsizing Baby Boomers who can also afford those rents. So, at least for now, in this white hot local economy, more "luxury units" will be built and rents inside the loop will continue to rise.

When I was looking for an apartment in Midtown a year ago - there were none to be had -- all the new ones were full with waiting lists and rents were being raised at the existing complexes ($1500 for an efficiency!!) - there didn't seem to be any problem with people affording the rent.....

Jefferson Heights. Question, is Old 6th Ward the Heights?

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hpsxc

... are you asking if Old Sixth Ward is part of the Heights old residential area? Looks like from the link, the northern boundary for sixth ward was Washington Ave. I have seen one boundary on an old Heights map, showing  it going down to Washington Ave. But, I would think no is the answer.

http://digital.lib.uh.edu/collection/p15195coll35/item/5/show/4

Heights Map

The big question nowadays seems to be, which Heights? joke.

When I was looking for an apartment in Midtown a year ago - there were none to be had -- all the new ones were full with waiting lists and rents were being raised at the existing complexes ($1500 for an efficiency!!) - there didn't seem to be any problem with people affording the rent.....

Exactly.

I would consider this the Washington Heights.

...no.

The Heights, as originally platted, did extend down to Washington, but only for a block on either side of Heights Boulevard.

This is Sixth Ward, it's been Sixth Ward for a very long time, and the people who live there still call it Sixth Ward.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived