My fiance and I will be moving from DC to Houston in May. She is originally from Houston, and while I am not, I was fortunate enough to spend several weeks in Houston this summer. We're both extremely excited to be leaving DC, and moving to a city where two young professionals will not be priced out of the housing market.

I did quite a bit of exploring in the downtown vicinity during my time in Houston and I really like what I saw. In particular, I'm very intrigued by the Binz neighborhood for its proximity to Hermann Park, the Museums, and downtown. This area appears to be in the midst of being redeveloped and it seems like a tremendous bargain compared to properties just west of Main. I also like Washington Terrace, Riverside Terrace, and the other close neighborhoods east of 288. While I realized these areas are a bit sketchy, the architecture is great and all things considered the price seems right. My impression is that property crime (which I can tolerate) is more of an issue than violent crime (which I cannot), but I was hoping that some of you might be able offer a bit of insight on this. Likewise, I would greatly appreciate any advice that you might have regarding these neighborhoods. Thanks.

• Like 1

Riverside Terrace and Washington Terrace are not as bad as the rest of Third Ward. My grandma has lived in the area for 18 years and the only crime she has had was Christmas gifts taking out of her car, but I am not going to act like that there are not worse crimes that may occur more frequently. The west side of 288 is pretty nice and for the most part safer than the east side but they don't have the greater housing stock, I am assming you are speaking of all the brick bungalows, like the east side of 288. My aunt rented a place on Arbor Street I believe east of 288 and has never had a crime surface on her property while she lived there, but in Third Ward there are areas that are night and day and some parts are on pretty high elevation which helped my aunt during Tropical Storm Allison.

The housing stock and location of all of these neighborhoods cannot be beat. Nor can the prices. I think this is the next area that will skyrocket in Houston just like the Heights in the last decade and Montrose before that. With Hermann Park's renovation complete, the growing Museum District (MFA expansion, Children's expansion, and new Asia House), proximity to U of H, Texas Southern, Rice, UST, and HCC Central, and light rail (walkable from all areas of the Binz hood) as well as the Med Center and Downtown, it's a natural. What's more, the houses are amazing, especially in Riverside Terrace. The views aren't half bad either!

As for crime, if you are coming from D.C. it will be a non-issue. The Third Ward has a much worse reputation than it deserves and what little violent crime that does occur doesn't seem random (perp knows the victim). I think most of the reputation is based on old racial stereotypes as most of these areas have been historically African-American neighborhoods. Of course, that's partly why I like them so much (I'm a WASP). From Frenchy's Chicken on Scott to Alfreda's on Almeda to the campus of TSU (nation's 2nd largest HBCU) to Project Row Houses, there's a vibe there that is totally unique.

You'll notice too that many of the houses (especially in Washington Terrace) will display signs that read "Third Ward is My Home, Not for Sale." Many took this to mean the populace was worried about gentirification (becoming too white) but in reality, it was a collective effort to fight the developers from destroying the fabric of the Third Ward by tearing down the old and building townhomes with no curb appeal (you'll find those metal townhomes on the east side of 288 now right smack in the middle of a beautiful neighborhood). To me, that represents a neighborhood that cares. That's a good sign.

I apologize for being so long-winded, it's just that I really like these neighborhoods and it's where I want to end up if I ever make it back to Houston full-time (in Boston now).

I live south of Third Ward, in what is ostensibly a worse neighborhood than the areas you're talking about. I've lived there 3 years, but my wife grew up in the house. In the 30 years she's lived in the house, they have only experienced one crime. Someone broke into the house in the late 1980's (which, if you know anything about Houston, was an extremely rough time in Houston). The upshot of the story is that my mother-in-law surprised the thief and chased him down the street...a neighbor heard the commotion and held the thief at bay with a shotgun until the police arrived.

So...outside of that one experience 20 years ago, no car break-ins, no vandalism, no violent crime, nothing of the sort in over 30 years.

I myself made the mistake a couple months ago of leaving the car door wide open with Christmas gifts inside...all night long. I was unloading the car before Christmas, got about halfway done and then got distracted inside and completely forgot about stuff in the car. I woke up the next morning, went outside to go to work, and OOPS! The car doors are wide open, interior lights on, and all our gifts still sitting there untouched.

I don't think you'll find a better sense of COMMUNITY in Houston than the Third Ward.

Congratulations of your upcoming move and your good taste and semi-boldness in considering those areas. I wholeheartedly agree with the above opinions and I think you'll be kicking yourselves if you don't buy there and it turns into a classy, hip neighborhood. The west side of Riverside Terrace is more desirable as it's become part of Midtown/Museum District but, the downside of that is that, most of those old homes will eventually get knocked down. So, the 3rd Ward side has a decent chance of making a fairly intact comeback.

My fiance and I will be moving from DC to Houston in May. She is originally from Houston, and while I am not, I was fortunate enough to spend several weeks in Houston this summer. We're both extremely excited to be leaving DC, and moving to a city where two young professionals will not be priced out of the housing market.

I did quite a bit of exploring in the downtown vicinity during my time in Houston and I really like what I saw. In particular, I'm very intrigued by the Binz neighborhood for its proximity to Hermann Park, the Museums, and downtown. This area appears to be in the midst of being redeveloped and it seems like a tremendous bargain compared to properties just west of Main. I also like Washington Terrace, Riverside Terrace, and the other close neighborhoods east of 288. While I realized these areas are a bit sketchy, the architecture is great and all things considered the price seems right. My impression is that property crime (which I can tolerate) is more of an issue than violent crime (which I cannot), but I was hoping that some of you might be able offer a bit of insight on this. Likewise, I would greatly appreciate any advice that you might have regarding these neighborhoods. Thanks.

Welcome to Houston.

The only thing I would be aware of are any areas that may flood due to Braes Bayou. The Seller's Disclosure form must mention any previous problems.

It's a beautiful area. The Mosaic high rise on Almeda just received financing approval for the first tower. I think this area is on the verge of a come back.

Better hurry because Lovette homes is doing big business down there. Which only means the property value will be going up because of greed.

Greed if it's their money. Capitalism if it's yours.

Welcome to Houston.

The only thing I would be aware of are any areas that may flood due to Braes Bayou. The Seller's Disclosure form must mention any previous problems.

Downstream (east) of SH 288, the Brays Bayou floodplains are mostly confined within the banks, but in some reaches the first two or three blocks may be inundated. Outside of those few blocks, you're good. The major floodplain problems on Brays are upstream (west) of SH 288, through the Med Center, West U big problems in the City of Bellaire (approx. 95% in the floodplain), Gulfton, Meyerland, Alief and points west.

Check the interactive floodplain maps at http://www.tsarp.org for better info.

Wow, thanks to everyone for such great postings. It sounds as though these neighborhoods are exactly what I'm looking for.

After living in DC proper for the past three years, I've grown accustomed to living in neighborhoods that share many similarities with the Third Ward, of course in DC the homes start at 1-1.5 million. A lack of high-end grocery stores, being a minority (I'm white), and living near poor people are all non-issues for me. Driving across 288 for the first time, I was immediately taken back by the wide boulevards, palm trees, and large 1930's era homes. It's really beautiful in parts, and in many way seems to have a great deal more potential than the heights. I'm really curoious as to how man Houstonians are even aware of these areas.

Also, given Houston's property taxing scheme, living in an area with depressed property values seems to be a win-win situation for homeowners. Assuming little or no appreciation, then you are rewarded with property taxes that are a fraction of the $15000-$30000 per year that your neighbors in West U will be paying for similar square footage. If property values start to climb, well, that wouldn't really be so bad either. Am I missing something?

Edited by jdbaker

A lack of high-end grocery stores, being a minority (I'm white), and living near poor people are all non-issues for me. Driving across 288 for the first time, I was immediately taken back by the wide boulevards, palm trees, and large 1930's era homes. It's really beautiful in parts, and in many way seems to have a great deal more potential than the heights. I'm really curoious as to how man Houstoians are even aware of these areas.

Also, given Houston's property taxing scheme, living in an area with depressed property values seems to be a win-win situation for homeowners. Assuming little or no appreciation, then you are rewarded with property taxes that are a fraction of the $15000-$30000 per year that your neighbors in West U will be paying for similar square footage. If property values start to climb, well, that wouldn't really be so bad either. Am I missing something?

No, I think you're right on. I did the same thing on the East side (hispanic area) and I love my low property taxes and like the neighborhood too. If values go up then they can only go up by 10% max per year, unless you make noted improvements, so I can deal with that, so I think you see the picture correctly. I feel like, if people only knew....but these areas are not for everyone and the majority of people, regardless of race, probably wouldn't touch Washington Terrace with a 10 foot pole. The obvious issues with most people are perceptions of crime and bad schools. I looked there too several years ago but they were out of my range even then, but would've bought one if I could've. I was inside one of those homes on Southmore and the deco touches are great. Simple elegance.

I'm really curoious as to how man Houstoians are even aware of these areas.

Far too few. Then again, maybe it's a good thing.

The biggest battle you might face is perception. It seems that most Houstonians hear "____ Ward" and think of something from a Geto Boys album. A lot of people actually think that all the "wards" are in third-world conditions. There are pockets of decrepit homes, but for the most part, I consider the Third Ward a nice middle-class area, with some high-end and some low-end areas.

Welcome to Houston!

I represented a buyer on a sale in there a couple of months ago. He bought in the Timbercrest section off of North MacGregor, which is absolutely beautiful. So many of the homes built in there were designed by the who's who of architects and the quality is evident, even though many suffer from bad alterations and/or neglect. Well priced homes move quick in there though. So when you find one you like, jump on it!

• 1 year later...
I never make judgements on houses until I see the master suite & bathroom. From what I can see, the house is nice.

There is nothing wrong with the area.

Not only is there nothing wrong with the area, I am willing to bet it becomes the next place where housing values double in the next decade. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION is the key. High paying jobs literally down the street at the TMC, UH, TSU, Rice, and easy access to downtown. Light rail coming in the near vicinity. It also doesn't hurt that a lot of the housing stock is the type that creative types are drawn to (solid brick construction from the 1930s and 40s) but are disappearing in other parts of town (West U, Southgate, Montrose) as the townhome/mcmansion craze knocks them out on a daily basis. Artists, professors, and Mos have been moving in that direction for the past 5 to 10 years. How soon until the yuppies follow?

I may have fallen in love today. http://www.har.com/5882597 I am a bit concerned about the surrounding area. There were lots of people sort of wandering aimlessly in the streets.

Anyone want to weigh in?

Looks like a good house as long as it hasn't been the victim of a bad remuddler...the shots of the kitchen make me worry, but its hard to say given the low resolution. Houses over there seem to have been built to last, but if somebody has done a hackjob on it, then you're looking at some major issues to fix down the road.

The agent is going to make how much commish on that house and puts up those pitiful pictures? What a joke!

He's re-using pics from a previous lisitng. Many agents go in, right-click on pics, save them and re-upload them in MLS. Some of the lower resolution pics, and the ones that don't go to full-size when you click on them are from a previous listing. This home has been for sale since 9/11/06. First with Suzanne Anderson Properties for 70 days and now with Keller Williams for 237 days. Any home that has sat on the market for 300+ days in our current market has done so for a reason - location, condition, price, floorplan, etc.

This home has been for sale since 9/11/06. First with Suzanne Anderson Properties for 70 days and now with Keller Williams for 237 days. Any home that has sat on the market for 300+ days in our current market has done so for a reason - location, condition, price, floorplan, etc.

Okay, so let's look at the four criteria:

1. Location: the concensus here seems to be that the location is up and coming. Is it still early in that process?

2. Condition: the house was in great shape.

3. Price: I'm a Houston newby and can't judge that very well, but I suspect it's overpriced. has it been reduced over the 300+ days?

4. Floorplan: I thought it was great.

Thanks for all the comments. I am still thinking things over.

Before buying our home, we looked into this area in 2004. We liked the architecture style of the homes . The lots are huge as well. We drove around several times during the day and late at night. Unfortunately, we were turned off with the surrounding area. It is an

3. Price: I'm a Houston newby and can't judge that very well, but I suspect it's overpriced. has it been reduced over the 300+ days?

I overlooked some info previously, so here are updated details. Each one represents a new listing in MLS.

10/18/05 - 4/14/06 (179 days): $350,000, reduced to $339,000, reduced again to $328,900

4/30/06 - 5/25/06 (28 days): $345,000

6/5/06 - 9/7/06 (94 days): $344,900, reduced to $339,900

9/11/06 - 11/19/06 (70 days): $339,000

11/20/06 - 2/14/07 (86 days): $339,000, reduced to $329,900

2/14/07 - present (153 days): $329,900

So, according to the days above (as calculated by MLS), the home has been on the market for 610 days, with a couple small gaps between listings. It has never changed to pending during that time. Even if there isn't anything wrong with it, everyone probably assumes that there is a problem because of how long it's been sitting around. If I were looking, I would skip it and move on. However, you are the potential buyer...not me.

I overlooked some info previously, so here are updated details. Each one represents a new listing in MLS.

10/18/05 - 4/14/06 (179 days): $350,000, reduced to $339,000, reduced again to $328,900

4/30/06 - 5/25/06 (28 days): $345,000

6/5/06 - 9/7/06 (94 days): $344,900, reduced to $339,900

9/11/06 - 11/19/06 (70 days): $339,000

11/20/06 - 2/14/07 (86 days): $339,000, reduced to $329,900

2/14/07 - present (153 days): $329,900

So, according to the days above (as calculated by MLS), the home has been on the market for 610 days, with a couple small gaps between listings. It has never changed to pending during that time. Even if there isn't anything wrong with it, everyone probably assumes that there is a problem because of how long it's been sitting around. If I were looking, I would skip it and move on. However, you are the potential buyer...not me.

Honestly as a resident of this area, sounds like that should not be touched with a 10ft pole. I would certainly hire an inspector before putting in a bid. If there was one thing I found while looking at older houses its that an inspector can tell you how much $$$ you will fork out after you buy.

I may have fallen in love today. http://www.har.com/5882597 I am a bit concerned about the surrounding area. There were lots of people sort of wandering aimlessly in the streets.

Anyone want to weigh in?

Don't worry too much about people walking in the streets. In Houston (and the rest of Texas?) there can be perfectly good sidewalks on both sides of the street and people will walk in the road. It happens in the best neighborhoods and the worst. I don't know why this is. People from the area don't notice it and don't realize they're doing anything unusual. It's usually only outsiders who think it's odd. Unless they look unkempt or dangerous, I wouldn't worry about it.

That home is on Ewing off N. Macgregor. It has sat for so long because it is over priced for the area. If the price dropped below $290,000 it would sell fast. For over $300,000 you go to S Macgregor bigger yard , better security no run down convenience stores with people hanging out, and no run down apartments a block away. Lower the price and it will sell

• 7 months later...

"Looks like it's being advertised mostly for the land."

Being sold as an "As is" is also a pretty good indicator that there is a lot of work to be done. Having said that, the price is pretty reasonable. But, here we are once again with a good candidate for restoration well within a flood zone (http://maps2.tsarp.org/tsarp/). If this one has been sitting dormant since the hurricane (which one?) as mentioned in the HAR listing, well... that too is somewhat troubling.

Edited by domus48