Topaz Villas: Condominiums At 4520 Yoakum Blvd.

HoustonMidtown

If they are going to treat down a house for this, I am very very dissappointed

I haven't been down to that end of Yoakum in years but it looks like (according to google maps) that this may be an empty lot that backs up to 59 -- I'm not sure how exact google maps is though - I will take a ride down there this weekend and look

Personally, for a mid-rise building, I like it.

I actually agree, but it isn't the kind of architecture that they say it is. All it is a marketing ploy to make it sound exotic, and fancy. The ignorant fools who designed this probably have no idea what Italian renaissance even is!

*cools off*

*whew* I needed to get that off my chest lol.....

(and no none of this was aimed at you >.> if you were wonderin)

n/m. The variance sign on the empty lot was for Yoakum Enclave. a 3 story office building.

http://swamplot.com/a-little-vacant-lot-on-yoakum-gets-some-approval/2013-04-16/

ftp://edrc.houstontx.gov/2013/Applications//2013-1185/SubdivisionPlatPDF_Yoakum%20Enclave%20pdf.pdf

unless they changed their mind about what to build here.

14314848022_22f4078cc2_o.jpgUntitled by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

n/m. The variance sign on the empty lot was for Yoakum Enclave. a 3 story office building.

http://swamplot.com/a-little-vacant-lot-on-yoakum-gets-some-approval/2013-04-16/

ftp://edrc.houstontx.gov/2013/Applications//2013-1185/SubdivisionPlatPDF_Yoakum%20Enclave%20pdf.pdf

unless they changed their mind about what to build here.

14314848022_22f4078cc2_o.jpgUntitled by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Note that the variance hearing was scheduled for more than a year ago. Even numbers are on the west side of the street. I would guess the office building proposal has been replaced by this condo proposal. 4520 seems to be the empty lot.

Note that the variance hearing was scheduled for more than a year ago. Even numbers are on the west side of the street. I would guess the office building proposal has been replaced by this condo proposal. 4520 seems to be the empty lot.

Here is a pic of the empty lot from this morning - the variance sign is gone....4520 is the empty lot -- the house beside the empty lot is 4510 and the house beside that is 4500

• 4 weeks later...

I actually agree, but it isn't the kind of architecture that they say it is. All it is a marketing ploy to make it sound exotic, and fancy. The ignorant fools who designed this probably have no idea what Italian renaissance even is!

*cools off*

*whew* I needed to get that off my chest lol.....

(and no none of this was aimed at you >.> if you were wonderin)

In fairness, many Italian Renaissance palazzos were fortress-like in the lower floors for the event of mob attacks or inter clan warfare. In that respect, this building carries on the tradition.

I will defer to those on this forum who actually are design professionals... but aren't symmetry and proportion the holy grails of Italian Renaissance in general and Palladian in particular?

You know it's funny that we praise Palladio and while he was a fabulous architect who set the gold standard in terms of villa architecture set in the classical vernacular....lets not forgot that even he didn't know what he was really doing xD Palladio pretty much put his own spin on Classical architecture for a new age/new enlightenment. During that period it was assumed that all the Entablitures, Doric/Ionic/Corinthian Columns, and everything else you would associate with Greeco-Roman Classical architecture was on EVERY building of ancient time. Of course we understand that this wasn't the case, but after architects would do their grand tour across Europe and marvel at the wonders of Rome and Athens who wouldn't think that, not just temples and public buildings, but even everyday homes must have been from the same mold.

-breaks long tangent-

The brilliance of Renaissance architecture was classical architecture set to their contemporary proportions and ideals of symmetry. Another element which was essential was the stratification or hierarchy of both classical orders and materials depending on building function as well as proximity to the street level or plaza, and building height.

.....This has none of those things xD

It has none of the classical orders carefully regulated by rigorous proportions, and the materiality is all wrong as well.

I think the real culprit behind this was the real estate/marketing team for this. "hey I need to be able to sell this thing that you drew....give me something that is quick and simple that you think it looks like" "ummm Reinaissance?" "hmmm YEAH you're right! I remember seeing some pictures from my child's return from study abroad....thats perfect!" 

No, it was a proposed one. I believe the address is 905 Woodrow St, Houston, TX 77006. I keep thinking One Fifty or M One Fifty... I don't know honestly. It was an all-glass midrise office building.

Haven't heard of that. I just looked on devmap.io, and still couldn't find it. Here maybe you can...

http://devmap.io/cities/houston/developments##415

What was the name of the midrise office building near this location? It was closer to Montrose and 59.

M Fifty Nine. It's at Montrose and 59, currently an African art gallery. The site and a rendering is on devmap.io if anyone wants to copy it here - I'm on my phone.

M Fifty Nine. It's at Montrose and 59, currently an African art gallery. The site and a rendering is on devmap.io if anyone wants to copy it here - I'm on my phone.

Ah, thank you!

Imagine this and this on the north side of 59:

14513791244_cee3d1691c_h.jpg

14535355253_21c89eb059_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived