Joseph Weingarten Mansion At 4000 South MacGregor Way

candyman

Apparently Tim Lavinghousez died last year after falling off a roof, the house now is in the hands of his children. From the last HOA meeting, there was word that Terry Ward was trying to purchase the properties at $3.5 million. It is also under the impression that he has already acquired the cemetery land from the Kuhlmann family. 

• Like 1

I've always hoped that University of Houston or Rice University would eventually acquire the property, through a private donor. Similar to the Med Center's genealogy center/ previous residence. It could be used to house Houston's architectural records, students, and used as a project for historical restoration. It's such a significant structure, a fine example of Joseph Finger's residential work. 

Well, at least it's not being bulldozed. Yet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks to you both for the info. 

I've always wanted to see the interior. Those time warp pictures in the listing are interesting. Did you see the dining room table and the study's leather furniture?  Didn't see any kitchen shots. Must be in bad shape.

I never realized the property had such a slope. Makes sense, looks like a gully runs through those trees. Are there any restrictions on fences in Riverside Terrace? I always wondered why there was never one surrounding the property. 

• Like 1

I heard that Lavinghousez liked the decayed look. I was told that a relative of mine saw the inside of the mansion years ago and supposedly, there was a horse living in the mansion at the time. Can anyone else confirm that?

• Like 2

As appealing as it sounds to have someone buy up and restore it to it's former grandeur, it is a goner.

Is this a fact or speculation based on Houston's past tract record? pun intended.

• Like 1

yeah... that will be a hard one to take. I could see the house staying, and the back part sold for development, though, and maybe the side lot too. It is listed as two separate lots.

• Like 1

http://www.garygreene.com/homes/TX/HOUSTON/77021/3932_South_MacGREGOR/13170593099/index.html

...ok. Here's the listing for 3932... is that house also part of the original Weingarten estate? On the market at the same time as the huge house. Does anyone know it's story?

Looks like it was bought by George Guy Lavinghousez in 1986. It was built in the early 50's. Shows a cracked slab. Has a pool, but that was filled in a while ago, per GoogleEarth. Has a driveway entrance off of Roseneath. 

Concerning the two properties, it would be nice to see the land bought as a package deal and then sold, in sections. The land deals could fund a restoration of the Weingarten estate, with the front estate view left alone. The overall space would be condensed. Yet, it would still be a nice piece of property. And, at least the main residence and garage apartment would survive. Wishful thinking on my part. 

The appraisal records list the 4000 S. MacGregor Way residence as Superior Quality. I've looked at a lot of appraisal records. I've never seen that description. The condition is listed as very poor. Under extra feature - cracked beam - crawl space.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

And the development of that family cemetery property next door that might be an issue.  It should all come to a head fairly soon.

I believe those graves were moved. Can someone confirm? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Weingarten mansion has been sold. The buyer's identity hasn't been revealed, but supposedly, the buyer is going to restore the property.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/real-estate/08-08-14-sold-historic-weingarten-mansion-gets-a-buyer-will-property-be-restored/

That's great news if true, JM. There are architects in Houston who specialize in renovating and restoring historic residential property. They have also executed sensitive and appropriate additions. I hope this is the case for the Weingarten  mansion. It is a stately structure in need of a little TLC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...