Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jwalker14

Shipping container homes

13 posts in this topic

Are there any firms in the Houston area that have experience with designing and constructing shipping container homes? I have looked at Numen's mod's, so I am familiar with them. Any other firms you could point me towards?

Interesting idea, sounds better suited for a drier climate than we have. I know those things are designed to work on ships in the ocean, but I wonder how long they are expected to hold up. 

Probably longer than a mobile home, but that's a pretty low expectation. 

Building them out is probably not that difficult. Getting it permitted wherever you intend to install it may be the more difficult part. 

Any firm.  Architects should be able to design within the constraints that a shipping container allows.

Nate99 is of course correct in that it would be difficult in quite a few areas to get a shipping container house permitted.  There is one in Galveston, I'll see if I can find the street address.

Are there any firms in the Houston area that have experience with designing and constructing shipping container homes? I have looked at Numen's mod's, so I am familiar with them. Any other firms you could point me towards?

http://numendevelopment.com

Moon Tower Inn was renovated with shipping containers. I think they went through some big permit headaches, because they were closed for over a year. They might be able to point you to their contractor.

I was the Architect for Moon Tower Inn.  The permitting process was more difficult a couple of years back when the CIty was new to the structure type, but now KDLab has several other projects that have been permitted with both conventional slab on grade construction and pier and beam.  Feel free to reach out if interested in knowing more.  I will be giving a second presentation at the Green Buillding Resource Center on these types of structures for Commercial and Residential uses in September...

www.kineticdesignlab.com

Posted (edited)

Going up on Velasco near I-45

35310059186_b630982705_z.jpg

Edited by HoustonMidtown
1 person likes this

Heh. I just happened to run across a post on Facebook last night from the guy who lives in the house visible directly to the right of those shipping containers in the pic above. Suffice to say that he is not at all happy with the new stack o'metal that has arisen next door.

The developer started a discussion on Reddit about this project that seems to have almost immediately turned into a serious dumpster fire. 

4 people like this

I just came here to say I saw Henry's post, too, and nope, he's not happy with them at all