Shipping Container Homes

Interesting idea, sounds better suited for a drier climate than we have. I know those things are designed to work on ships in the ocean, but I wonder how long they are expected to hold up. 

Probably longer than a mobile home, but that's a pretty low expectation. 

Building them out is probably not that difficult. Getting it permitted wherever you intend to install it may be the more difficult part. 

Any firm.  Architects should be able to design within the constraints that a shipping container allows.

Nate99 is of course correct in that it would be difficult in quite a few areas to get a shipping container house permitted.  There is one in Galveston, I'll see if I can find the street address.

• 2 weeks later...

I was the Architect for Moon Tower Inn.  The permitting process was more difficult a couple of years back when the CIty was new to the structure type, but now KDLab has several other projects that have been permitted with both conventional slab on grade construction and pier and beam.  Feel free to reach out if interested in knowing more.  I will be giving a second presentation at the Green Buillding Resource Center on these types of structures for Commercial and Residential uses in September...

www.kineticdesignlab.com

• 3 years later...

Heh. I just happened to run across a post on Facebook last night from the guy who lives in the house visible directly to the right of those shipping containers in the pic above. Suffice to say that he is not at all happy with the new stack o'metal that has arisen next door.

The developer started a discussion on Reddit about this project that seems to have almost immediately turned into a serious dumpster fire. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I lived in one of those. (I have my own thread somewhere on this forum about the ones I lived in. What up, Huntsville Cube Square). But back to what I was saying, three shipping containers is about 1000 square feet, so this is a pretty big house. Roomier than a lot of the rowhouses I've seen. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

I lived in one of those. (I have my own thread somewhere on this forum about the ones I lived in. What up, Huntsville Cube Square). But back to what I was saying, three shipping containers is about 1000 square feet, so this is a pretty big house. Roomier than a lot of the rowhouses I've seen. 

Nice! Share the link I would like to take a look at said thread

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Turning a container into a home takes a lot of time. I'd like to give you a professional tip as long as I am a builder. In case you have to leave your container outdoors for some time, make sure it's protected from rain and snow, otherwise the metal can get corroded. In my work I often resort to the online shop alcocovers.com, where you can order protective covers of any size and shape, even for a large shipping container. That's just for your information.

Edited by JohnyWalter
  • Like 2

If you drive about two or three blocks east of 59 on McGowen there is an 11 container home that has gone up on three foot high concrete columns. Impressive construction and its 15 - 20  feet from the street. Its a great example to look at if you're interested because there is such a convenient view from the curb.

One of the big linen services is in a refurbished  building across the street. 

• Like 2

Exactly. It just pops out. It's really quite an elaborate project. I spoke with the owner, and had hoped he would invite me in to see it but he was rather reserved. At the time which was last summer, he was getting the house ready for a weird or strange architecture tour out of Austin. Somehow his house was part of the tour. I didn't ever see any notices. I drive by occasionally to see his progress.

• Like 1