Alexan Downtown: Multifamily At 1414 Texas Ave.

downtownian

Awesome. I'm looking forward to this apartment being built and will create a vibrant area near the ballpark with 500 Crawford, the Catalyst, Southwest Building apt conversion, and the hotels, bars, ect already there. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

does anyone else think this would make a great location for another midtown-esque Pearl/Whole Foods at Smith mixed use development? but maybe an HEB Urban Market or something instead of Whole Foods. its right on the light rail line (without any issues of no left turn lanes on this line), to appease the urbanist in us HAIFers, and that site is surrounded by residential developments. idk, i was just looking at the development map and thinking this would be a prime candidate for something like that to bring a grocer downtown. if you don't agree, please forgive the late night ramble.. heh. woke up randomly and now i can't fall back asleep.

http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2015-04-08/150408_Development_Map__Renders_11X17.pdf

• Like 1

Having a grocery store up that way can work. But, let's not forget that it is only 3 or 4 blocks to Phoencia. It is quite possible to use Phoencia exclusively as your grocer. It is true that there are many brands are not carried but, frankly, if you need meats, breads, fish, cheese, fruit, vegetables, eggs, milk, wine, beer, coffee, tea, spices, deserts, etc, Phoencia works well at prices that are comparable to whole foods.

It is certainly true that if you desire brand ABC for chicken stock, there is a good chance they won't have it. But, it is a wonderful place to buy fresh or pre-made food.

If a new place comes in to where that new residential density is begging created, I think that you are correct in your thinking that it should be a "name brand" chain that will carry brands people are accustomed to for that chain.

• Like 2

Yeah Phonecia is 4 blocks away but like you pointed out, it's more a specialty market. We need a store carrying major brands. That's why I purposely went away from a Whole Foods. And Phonecia is slammed during busy hours. Imagine how crowded it will be when all the residential units in the area come online.

Edited by cloud713

I would hope that the rents in this location would be too high for anything larger than a very streamlined, niche-space grocery store. Something the size of Whole Foods in Midtown I would think would have to go in a more out of the way spot, maybe a few blocks north of here.

does anyone else think this would make a great location for another midtown-esque Pearl/Whole Foods at Smith mixed use development? but maybe an HEB Urban Market or something instead of Whole Foods. its right on the light rail line (without any issues of no left turn lanes on this line), to appease the urbanist in us HAIFers, and that site is surrounded by residential developments. idk, i was just looking at the development map and thinking this would be a prime candidate for something like that to bring a grocer downtown. if you don't agree, please forgive the late night ramble.. heh. woke up randomly and now i can't fall back asleep.

http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2015-04-08/150408_Development_Map__Renders_11X17.pdf

I think a Pearl/Whole Foods development would be best suited for the Chronicle site facing Market Square. With the park and nearby residential towers, it could be really do well here. Plus, I think it's far enough from Phoenicia to spread coverage without negatively impacting eithe business.

• Like 1

I think a Pearl/Whole Foods development would be best suited for the Chronicle site facing Market Square. With the park and nearby residential towers, it could be really do well here. Plus, I think it's far enough from Phoenicia to spread coverage without negatively impacting eithe business.

I was thinking about this the other day and thought the exact opposite. I was thinking about a grocery store ( HEB ) for block 251 and/or 276 to serve all the 10 possible new apartments toward the southeast. Less traffic and easier access.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Is that soil samples in the back? If so, it looks like we've got some more time before actual building construction.

Yep, definitely a soil sampler rig. 

I wonder though if the process is less critical to design/time consuming with an 8 story structure as opposed to a big 30-40 story tower.  In any case, they are scraping up the revenue generating asphalt, so I'd imagine they are moving on, unless they are taking the HSPVA approach.  Though now that I think about it, Hines Market Square. did close the surface lot and wait a long time.

Yep, definitely a soil sampler rig. 

I wonder though if the process is less critical to design/time consuming with an 8 story structure as opposed to a big 30-40 story tower. 

Design time, on lower load/weight structures is normally less hours from a strictly person-hour standpoint. That being said, in order to calculate the loads acting on the foundation, you need to have an idea of the design above, so that one can calculate the overturning windloads, self weight, seismic, etc.... It can be iterative process. 

• Like 1