Alexan Downtown: Multifamily At 1414 Texas Ave.

downtownian

Near Minute Maid Park and adjacent to the 28-story Marquette building:

6-story, 267-unit residential building

Developer: Trammell Crow Residential

Est. construction start 3Q 2014

Est. completion 1Q 2017

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-05-08/140505_Downtown_Houston_Development_Map_11x17.pdf

• Like 4

Wow, this is great news. More residential units in Downtown is always a positive. I wish it was taller because it's along the rail, but I'll take it.

Should this be moved to Going Up?

Edited by fkp5

This would "complete" Texas Street from the bayou to MMP.

The Texas/LaBranch intersection will look like a completely different city if all of these go.

Good stuff.

This. Although the old warehouse northwest of this block is a question mark, and a few other blocks along Texas could use redevelopment.

It seems like the rendering shows a corner of the building on Capitol rather than Texas. I hope they don't neglect the Texas side, since that street imho is the more ideal signature street.

This. Although the old I hope they don't neglect the Texas side,imho is the more ideal signature street.

I agree. Texas is becoming the east-west version of main street.

But all this new development is exciting because downtown is becoming fuller from all angles. Rusk and capitol had the rail and that will be interesting in a few years to see those streets evolve, but the walk along Texas is more interesting

What does the tan material above the red brick look like to everyone else? I hope it's not stucco.

I would hope a tan brick.  Though I believe you might be correct when you say stucco.  Cheap.  Light (mostly) - if its EFS or similar - and cheap.

Edited by arche_757

That development map additionally indicates a structure (#29) in the square between Caroline, Austin, Pease, and Jefferson. I have not previously seen an indication of that building. Downtown will have a few thousand more full-time residents by the time the Super Bowl rolls around.

I love the rendering above. I wonder if we might see Shake Shack, Hopdoddy, or other significant upmarket burger joints take interest in this area. Portillo's Hot Dogs of Chicago is also looking for a buyer. What better place is there to start a beachhead into Houston than right next to a ballpark? :) 

• Like 1

And I see that Urbannizer previously had a thread going about the above-mentioned Unit #29 (Block 365). According to that map, we have 2796 units planned for construction with another 1266 under construction. There's still room for additional developers to come in with the city's tax incentive program (the increase in the cap on that is lovely for development--and I suspect we'll see higher tax revenues long term as well).

One has to wonder whether the city would be willing to offer additional incentives to build a more traditional grocery store downtown.  I lived in DC for awhile, near Mt. Vernon Triangle, and that area revitalized with the addition of a Safeway located at the base of the City Vista apartments--like Downtown Houston, it was also previously filled with parking lots in an area nearby a sports complex (the Verizon Center). A proper HEB or Kroger would address a significant concern for those looking to move to Downtown.

• Like 2

Wow this may border on the slowest construction if it begins 3Q of this year and finishes in the beginning of 2017. What is that? Two floors each year? Maybe three?

Rumored that they were building this with construction methods ALA the Egyptian pyramids (sans slave labor)  :D  :D  :D

• Like 2

I'd think development would breed development in the long term. In the nearer term, we might have a bit of a glut of multifamily to contend with. Camden might be tapping the breaks to ensure that the various projects around town get occupied at the rents the projects are supposed to command. Camden's project is in a bit of a no man's land compared to the densifying area by the Ballpark.

• Like 1

I'd think development would breed development in the long term. In the nearer term, we might have a bit of a glut of multifamily to contend with. Camden might be tapping the breaks to ensure that the various projects around town get occupied at the rents the projects are supposed to command. Camden's project is in a bit of a no man's land compared to the densifying area by the Ballpark.

Absolutely, I agree that in the short term, all these projects are laying a foundation for future growth... I guess myself like many of us, just want to see so many great things for this city because it truly deserves it... I have friends who have moved down here from up north, and they love it... we really do live in a great city

• Like 2

Absolutely, I agree that in the short term, all these projects are laying a foundation for future growth... I guess myself like many of us, just want to see so many great things for this city because it truly deserves it... I have friends who have moved down here from up north, and they love it... we really do live in a great city

I absolutely agree! I'm also a little concerned that a lot of the Downtown proposals seem to be getting pushed back, but if they all get built then I could see Downtown exploding with development in the future.