Red Bluff Hospital At 4040 Red Bluff Rd.

sootycat

Does anyone remember the name of the old hospital that used to sit close to the corner of Red Bluff and Pasadena Blvd.? People in Pasadena used to refer to it as the "horse hospital." Also, a Dr. Burkhalter used to practice there.

• Like 3

That was the old Red Bluff Hospital. Dr. Archie Burkhalter and Dr. Robert Pendleton owned it, until Pendleton was murdered there in December of 1966.  Burkhalter was charged with hiring the guy who killed Pendleton, but he never went to prison. His first conviction in 1970 was overturned on appeal. The second trial ended in a mistrial, and when he was brought to trial for the third time he was acquitted in 1975.

Burkhalter was a real piece of work.  In 1979 he was accused of hiring two men to kill his ex-wife's new husband, John Hensley. The murder attempt failed, but it left Hensley blind. Burkhalter was found guilty and sentenced to ten years in prison. While free on appeal bond, Burkhalter suffered superficial wounds when he was shot by an unknown gunman while visiting his brother in Pasadena in 1980. I have no idea where Burkhalter is today, or even if he's still alive.

A few years after Pendleton's murder, the hospital's name was changed to Pasadena Memorial Hospital. I think the hospital building is still there, but I don't think it's a hospital anymore.

• Like 4

Thanks, FilioScotia,

Do you happen to know if the new name caught on or was it still referred to by locals as Red Bluff hospital? I'm from Pasadena,but I cannot remember. I'm old enough to remember that Burkhalter was a controversial figure, but I was not aware of all of the details. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Red Bluff Hospital was its original name when it opened in the early 60s. At some point after the Pendleton murder in 1966 Burkhalter sold it, and the new owners decided to change the name because of the murder and the seemingly never ending tide of negative media stories about Burkhalter and his connection to it.

I grew up in Pasadena, and I can tell you that the murder of Dr. Pendleton was the biggest story you can imagine in that part of the county. For years if you wanted to start a conversation about this murder all you had to do was say the words "Red Bluff Hospital" and "Archie Burkhalter". That's why it needed a new name.

Even so, Pasadena locals continued calling it Red Bluff Hospital for a long time. Old habits die hard. But, time takes its toll and memories fade. At some point memories of the old name and the scandal went away. I would bet that nobody in Pasadena under the age of 50 knows anything about this.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Dr. Pendleton delivered me on December 6th 1966.  My Grandmother told me all about this story.  As for the reason it was called the horse hospital, she told me that Burkhalter used one of the O.R.'s there to operate on a race horse.  Pendleton blew the whistle on this and that's where the rub started between the two.  I can't confirm any of this, but it makes sense.  Burkhalter and his "associates" did everything they could to get Pendleton out.  First they tried to have him removed from the Board of Directors.  Then they tried to remove his privileges at the hospital.  Next they tried to have him committed.  When all else failed, I guess they finally got rid of him by having him shot and killed.  

Edited by aj250
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was delivered at Red Bluff Hospital by Dr. Burkhalter in 1965. He was our family physician throughout all the controversies and his trials, excepting when he was in custody. His license to practice medicine was eventually revoked after his conviction regarding the kidnapping of his ex-wife and the shooting of her new husband. He did some time and retired to Fredericksburg, Texas with his horses. He petitioned the Texas state medical board to re-instate his license in the 1990's, with the intent of practicing in Fredericksburg, but was denied. I have no idea if he is still alive. For all his controversy, I remember him as an excellent doctor with warm bedside manner, and my mother trusted no other doctor with family medical needs at the time. Burkhalter removed the appendix of myself and 3 siblings, and delivered several of my siblings along with myself. That little hospital served the community quite well until Bayshore Hospital became the major medical center of the area. Last I saw it years ago, the old hospital was abandoned.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've heard stories. All kinds. I knew a lady that worked there and saw a lot. Back then people were scared to talk about the stuff they saw. I've heard about the horse.. Dr. Burkhalter had expensive horses he raced and brought one in to operate on. I've also heard that they hid people from the FBI in the rooms and had a big raid. The lady that worked there has since passed away but I remember hearing the stories and thinking she was crazy. She said one night there was a guy that was hiding in the tall grass outside waiting for someone and shot and killed him. As far as the Dr that jumped from the bridge I heard it different. That apparently was the story told but anyone who knew the Dr knew it was a hit. He was a family man and the lady I knew said he would have never killed himself or hurt his wife and that speculation was this was Burkhalters work. Who knows...

• 4 weeks later...

I was 12 years old when Robert (Pendleton) was assinated by Burkhalter. Having grown up on the same block and street as Robert and his parents and younger sister, I still remember the day his sister ran to my house and told me his brother had been killed. I cryed with her, being that we played together, and Robert was always catering to us as kids at play. Me and Julia would always break out the Legos and build, build, build, courtesy of Roberts generosity. Especially I remember he would always smoke a cigar. He would chew off the ends and reminded me of James Cagney. Just my impression as a kid at 12 years old. He was a good man.

As far as Doctor Powers, here again, he was mine and my wifes pediatrician for the birth of our first child. Yes, he did kill his wife and stuffed her in the rtunk of his car, then drove to the 610 ship channel bridge, and jumped off  before the fence began over the actual ship channel, and fell to his death.

I know more than I'm saying, but have decided to withhold some facts to protect lifelong frineds, especially the Pendleton family. Roberts sister (Julia) and bother (David) are still friends. The block we all grew up on has been wiped clean and now sits a new school. Kruse Elementary. The Pendletons house would have sit on the immediate left corner/curb where the main entrance to the new school is on Park Lane Street between Main Street and Spooner Street. The exact spot where I heard President Kennedy had been shot walking home from school that day from the old Kruse Elementary school one block away. As a note to this, I also remember all the other kids screaming and crying because Kennedy had been shot. I also remember asking my mom when I got home, "Why is everyone crying? Did they ever meet him?" LOL..Just a kids analysis HUH? ►►►►Wished I hadn't lost my old external hard drive. It had some good pictures of the Pendletons house just before the city demolished 2 blocks for the new school. They were the last to give way, by the way, to 'Immenet Domain', by the city of Pasadena. This is a scrrenshot from a video drive-thru before they demolished the neighborhood for the new school. "The Pendleton House" and again another one of the entire block after it was cleared for the new school!

post-14296-0-18252500-1436939927_thumb.jpost-14296-0-45466800-1436940591_thumb.j
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

Thanks for sharing the stories above about the Red Bluff Hospital and Dr. Robert E. Pendleton Jr. . I had been told by his Mother many years ago that he had been Murdered . He was my Paternal 1st Cousin. Can anyone tell where I might find a photograph of him ?

• 1 year later...

I am Dr. Burkhalter's grandson. To not get to long, but yes my grandfather did operate on a horse in the OR, most everything about him is true. After moving to Fredericksburg he was charged with the attempted murder of my grandmothers new lover, and convicted. In 1993 he took in 5 of us grandchildren to rase. He was an incredibly intelligent man. He was also a controling psychopath. In Fredericksburg he leased out a house on the property and in 1999 the tenant was discovered dead. On his deathbed my grandfather admitted to killing him after the two got into an argument reguarding herman killing his horse. He was poisoned. Dr. Burkhalter passed in 2012. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 year later...
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, Nathan Burkhalter said:

I am Dr. Burkhalter's grandson. To not get to long, but yes my grandfather did operate on a horse in the OR, most everything about him is true. After moving to Fredericksburg he was charged with the attempted murder of my grandmothers new lover, and convicted. In 1993 he took in 5 of us grandchildren to rase. He was an incredibly intelligent man. He was also a controling psychopath. In Fredericksburg he leased out a house on the property and in 1999 the tenant was discovered dead. On his deathbed my grandfather admitted to killing him after the two got into an argument reguarding herman killing his horse. He was poisoned. Dr. Burkhalter passed in 2012. 

Nathan, I grew up a block away from some of your aunts and uncles that lived on Harrop St. Dr. B as we called him delivered me into this world  July 1956. and was Our families doctor. I have lived thru all the stories of your Grand father, but knew the gentler side of him. I remember I December of 1976 that I almost killed myself trying to Locate Dr. B. my sister was in a bad way delivering her 1st child. I drove like a madman to his home behind the Old Woolco store. I later found out that he was driving all the way in from San Antonio to help save my sister's life. I know all the Bad , but He was a Man we all Loved and Respected. He even refused to accept his doctor fee from Momma for any of Our doctor visits. Thought I would share with you something kinder than what you had to live thru. Dr. B. had his Demons but he once was a Kind Hearted Man / Family Doctor as well.

• 9 months later...

In 1964, my friend’s mom across the street from us,  used to dress up and go to the Red Bluff Hospital and party like crazy with the doctors. We all heard the stories, but I continued to visit Dr. Lee as my physician. Kind of an almost clean hospital and clinic, but the care was standard for that time. I’m sure, if more folks could add their stories, we could publish a great book. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My name is Jeremiah Burkhalter I am the grandson of Archie Herman Burkhalter I lived in Fredericksburg with him from the years of 1994 all the way up till his death in 2013 it's very interesting the story Red Bluff Hospital Fredericksburg and the end of his life he was a character a very very complex man

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I worked in the lab at Redbluff Hospital back in 1964 and 1965.  Dr. Burkhalter was a difficult man to work for and as a result of one of his outbursts at me, he and I almost came to blows in his office in front of several patients.  I realized the ridiculousness of the situation and walked away fully expecting to be fired.  It didn't happen and I continued to work there for another few months.  Dr. Pendleton had me do several tests on his quarter horses as well as doing some X-rays in the parking lot with our portable X-ray machine.  I finally had enough of the lunacy left and took a job at a chemical plant working in the research department making more money.  Shortly after my leaving, Dr. Burkhalter was shot by a man by the name of Steambarge from Dickinson, Texas.  The day he was shot, I was hunting in Llano.  The importance of this fact is that when the investigators were looking for clues, they found Winston cigarette butts in the grass where Steambarge had waited for Burkhalter to come out the back door to his office.  They also found foot prints made by a 10 1/2 boot and a spent .30-06 cartridge.  I was hunting with a .30-06 rifle and I wore 10 1/2 boots and, at that time, smoked Winston cigarettes.  When I heard of the various clues and the fact that several patients had seen me and Burkhalter almost come to blows in his office, I was scared to death.  However, and I'll never know why, I was never interviewed with regard to his death.  Many years later, I became good friends with one of the doctors who had worked there prior to my employment.  He left before I came to work there.  One day we were talking and I mentioned about my scare with regard to Burkhalter's death and my friend told me that he had worked there and was fully aware of all of the goings on.  He said that was the reason for his leaving and going into practice elsewhere.  

I had worked in several hospitals and clinics prior to leaving the practice of Medical Technology and I can tell you that Redbluff Hospital took the cake.  One weird place run by the two real odd balls, Burkhalter and Pendleton.  I'm glad it's gone. Good riddance!! 

• Like 1

Oops. I don't know why, but I mixed up the names of Burkhalter and Pendleton.  Pendleton was the Dr. with whom I had the run in and Burkhalter was the one for whom I did lab work on his horses.  Ya know, I guess, when you get to be 80 years old, the old brain starts to fade.  I have many stories about my time at Redbluff Hospital and most of them are difficult to believe but they are true.  Here's one.  Could you believe that when the hospital pharmacy opened, Burkhalter and Pendleton partially stocked it with the free samples that they got from the drug salesmen?  Highly illegal....but true.

Edited by medtech
Thought of something else
  • Like 2

It’s really something to find a person who really knows about the shady practice at Red Bluff. I saw Dr Roy Lee. At the risk of being crude, every time I had an appointment, whether I had the flu or a blood test,  a female exam was always required. I was 19 years old and didn’t know better. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Does anyone remember Tinita pr Tinisha, I believe that was her name. She adopted a little girl. Another tragic story. The little girls mother was Kay Meek the little ones name is Charman. My sons are her brothers, she was taken from my sons through adoption from the mother. Been looking for years. Just found this page about Red Bluff. 

• The title was changed to Pasadena Hospital
  • 10 months later...

Topic: Red Bluff General Hospital, Pasadena, TX

To:  Medtech

Hello.  You’re name wouldn’t be George, would it?

In late July 1966 I was 8 yrs old and was hit by a car and landed in the hospital. I was a patient of Dr Pendleton.  

During my time there I had X-rays taken by a really nice man. The memory has stayed with me all this time.  My mother even took a picture of you standing over the table preparing to do an X-ray on me.   Thank you for the memory. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 1:40 PM, Joel H said:

I remember Dr. Powers and Pasadena Memorial Hospital. We lived in Bowling Green Subdvision, kind of behind his office. Dr Powers office faced Pasadena Blvd and there was a horse stable behind it. I think there is a gas station on that corner now where Alabama and Pasadena Blvd are. I was in Pasadena Memorial when I was 11. I remember Dr. Powers was the doctor for my siblings as well. 

SO, did Red Bluff hospital become Pasadena Memorial? I thought that PM hospital was located on Pasadena blvd. (tater)? 

There are three different hospital buildings in these posts...so confusing...Pasadena Memorial, Southmore, and Red Bluff hospitals. And don't forget the large, multi-storied Bayshore Hospital on Spencer. 

Does the Bowling Green subdivision (a place in Kentucky) and streets have a link to the horse loving doctor? Aren't those streets named after race horses? Secretariat, Tiny Hur, Citation, Gypsy Pops.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NenaE said:

SO, did Red Bluff hospital become Pasadena Memorial? I thought that PM hospital was located on Pasadena blvd. (tater)? 

That is correct!

Dr. Robert Pendleton, a onetime partner in the ownership of Pasadena Memorial Hospital, then known as Red Bluff Hospital.

• Like 1

A fellow HAIF member was slightly confused about all the old Pasadena hospitals and had questions regarding Red Bluff Hospital located at 4040 Red Bluff Road.

From the newspaper The Baytown Sun dated November 4, 1965:

Experienced LVN's, RN's, O.R. Technicians
Red Bluff Hospital
Apply Mrs. Milis, 4040 Red Bluff Road, Pasadena.

6lZscza.png

The Baytown Sun dated Tuesday, May 25, 1965:

Nurses Wanted - LVN's, also experienced R.N. and Aides. Apply in person, Mrs. Mills, Red Bluff Hospital, 4040 Red Bluff Road, Pasadena.

N5VTjkA.png

The Baytown Sun dated June 18, 1965:

Dr. K.G. Mathis, adminstrator of Red Bluff Hospital in Pasadena, will speak on "Diabetes" at 10:30 a.m.

ULh99WC.png

The Baytown Sun dated February 16, 1979:

Burkhalter had stood trail three times before being cleared of charges stemming from the Dec. 9, 1966 slaying of Dr. Robert Pendleton, a onetime partner in the ownership of Pasadena Memorial Hospital, then known as Red Bluff Hospital.

Burkhalter was handed a life sent in 1970 but the verdict was overturned on appeal.  A 1974 trail ended in a mistrial, and he was acquitted at a 1975 trial.

Pendleton was gunned down at the hospital and the prosecutors alleged Burkhalter ordered the murder so he could gain control of the hospital and benefit from $210,000 in life insurance paid to the hospital on Pendleton’s death.

84yHWdq.png

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Red Bluff Hospital At 4040 Red Bluff Rd.

Thanks for the good research and clarification. I like addresses. So they were both doctor/ owners of the one story Red Bluff hospital. That's the only one I'm not familiar with. What a wild and sad story.   

• Like 1