Hyatt Place Hotel At 1114 Texas St.

Nate99

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:48 PM, H-Town Man said:

One measure of downtown success will be when the sidewalks are so busy that any development must keep them open and build covered walkways. Still a long way off.

I think there might be some requirement that at least one side of any given block must be open. The International Tower Garage project had a covered "sidewalk" in one lane of Prairie Street while the Chronicle building across the street was being demolished.  It turned in to a bum toilet.

It's nice when they wrap up a project and open the area back up with brand new surroundings. Big stuff like 609 Main (which had a covered sidewalk on Main) and Hillcorp blocked off entire blocks for long periods.

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

I think there might be some requirement that at least one side of any given block must be open. The International Tower Garage project had a covered "sidewalk" in one lane of Prairie Street while the Chronicle building across the street was being demolished.  It turned in to a bum toilet.

It's nice when they wrap up a project and open the area back up with brand new surroundings. Big stuff like 609 Main (which had a covered sidewalk on Main) and Hillcorp blocked off entire blocks for long periods.

Yeah, there obviously isn't the level of pedestrian traffic currently for such a requirement to make sense.

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Stupid question: assuming a building has a working elevator already, what is the use of a separate construction elevator on the outside?

To move big heavy or dirty stuff that for many reasons would be impractical to move in a normal elevator.

5 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

To move big heavy or dirty stuff that for many reasons would be impractical to move in a normal elevator.

Agree, and I would presume that rehabbing old elevators that have been out of service for a long time is fairly time consuming, specialized work.  Putting that in the way of the rest of your critical path could push your schedule significantly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

I think the limestone is original.

Not originial:

The Moderne Style building at 1114 Texas has also retained its original design and materials with the exception of the front windows and the first two floors, which were sheathed in the 1970s with plain white marble and a cantilevered steel entrance canopy. This change coincided with the installation of 130 telecommunications metal conduits and cabling installed through the front two floors

https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/16000574.pdf

12 hours ago, Avossos said:

To be clear, I am referring to the reddish material underneath the upper-floor windows (floors 3 and up). I don't know if it's limestone, but that's what I thought you were referring to.

I guess when you said limestone, you were perhaps referring to the white marble on the  the first two floors?

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

To be clear, I am referring to the reddish material underneath the upper-floor windows (floors 3 and up). I don't know if it's limestone, but that's what I thought you were referring to.

I guess when you said limestone, you were perhaps referring to the white marble on the  the first two floors?

yeah - I think the stone on the first 2 floors was the classic 60s / 70s cover up. I am anxious to see if they change / fix that or leave it.

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I would think the reddish stuff is terra cotta if it's stone. It looks like there may still be limestone on the side of the building on the lower floors.

40 minutes ago, Avossos said:

yeah - I think the stone on the first 2 floors was the classic 60s / 70s cover up. I am anxious to see if they change / fix that or leave it.

I don't think most renovation developers play around with stone if they can help it. About the only places you see stone work anymore are rich houses and very expensive churches. Maybe as a lobby material in high rise buildings if there is no carving involved.

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

They cut windows into it (on both the 1st and 2nd floors), so it looks like they must be keeping it.

6 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I don't think most renovation developers play around with stone if they can help it. About the only places you see stone work anymore are rich houses and very expensive churches. Maybe as a lobby material in high rise buildings if there is no carving involved.

True. They are getting tax credits for historic restoration though... It is safe to assume they have certain criteria to meet to accomplish this. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived