Hyatt Place Hotel At 1114 Texas St.

Nate99

Found an undated .pdf about the building when googling about (http://har3.commgate.com/photos/pdf/fs/174981_3.pdf) after taking the pic below. 

I have ever heard anything about the building, but thinking about Texas Street (referred to as Avenue in the link and formerly on the side of this building) development that is coming along, I wonder if this will ever be worth anyone's while to renovate. A website called loopnet states that it is off the market.

http://i60.tinypic.com/14bnye.jpg

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the building you are referencing to will remain standing. It's situated between two renovated properties. Can't hurt it's chances. The Magnolia is a beautiful hotel. I got to stay in it recently. Very tastefully done.

I've been watching this building for years.  I'm sure it's a bit tricky for redevelopment because of its long skinny floor plates boxed in by adjoining buildings...   But that also would make it a bad candidate for demolition and replacement.  Presuming it is in good shape, I would expect it will eventually be redeveloped.  Maybe boutique hotel?  Kimpton?  We are long overdue for a Kimpton.

I've been watching this building for years.  I'm sure it's a bit tricky for redevelopment because of its long skinny floor plates boxed in by adjoining buildings...   But that also would make it a bad candidate for demolition and replacement.  Presuming it is in good shape, I would expect it will eventually be redeveloped.  Maybe boutique hotel?  Kimpton?  We are long overdue for a Kimpton.

Unfortunately, you would not have any windows in most of the rooms if this were made in to a hotel. I think there is a telephone switching building right behind it. 

You could do residential, I suppose, but one would need to outfit each floor as a separate unit (or maybe two, max) unless people didn't mind living in a windowless cave. 

Does anyone remember it ever having a tenant? 

I really like smaller infill buildings like this (or the tiny yellow one behind 806 Main).  To me it is really unfortunate that downtown has evolved toward a one-skyscraper-per-block model.  Smaller ones like this do a lot to contribute to an urban and interesting streetscape.  

Unfortunately, you would not have any windows in most of the rooms if this were made in to a hotel. I think there is a telephone switching building right behind it. 

You could do residential, I suppose, but one would need to outfit each floor as a separate unit (or maybe two, max) unless people didn't mind living in a windowless cave. 

Does anyone remember it ever having a tenant? 

There are windows on most of both sides of the building and on the back as well for the top 4 floors.  No views to speak of, especially from those windows on the sides of the building....   That, plus the narrowness of the floor plates, is why I think hotel would work better than residential.

There are windows on most of both sides of the building and on the back as well for the top 4 floors.  No views to speak of, especially from those windows on the sides of the building....   That, plus the narrowness of the floor plates, is why I think hotel would work better than residential.

If I looked at my own picture, I guess I would have seen that. 

Now that I think about it more, there is one of DT's few alleyways between the Magnolia and this building. Upper floors would have the Eastern view too. 

It would be wide enough for a hotel with a hall down the middle and rooms on each side, I would think. Managing a lobby and any amenities might be more of a challenge, but I'm sure it has been done. 

I agree that if there were a lack of views from many rooms, it would make it less attractive as a hotel property.  In any case, I sure wish Kimpton would put a hotel downtown.  I've stayed at them in Portland and DC and enjoyed their product and services.

Frankly, I can't believe they haven't placed one here ... so, I'm guessing that (being from San Francisco), they don't think we're "cool" enough.  I mean, Dallas got one first, now Austin is getting one.  <sigh>

• 1 month later...

I would say this would be a better Office property of cheaper rental residential property than a Hotel one because of the lack of views. In fact maybe if someone were very clever they could turn most of these floors into large studio type office spaces to better utilize the light coming in from the front facades.

As far as the building itself it's a typical building of its time period and nothing spectacular, but as Subdude pointed out very well is the fact that this is just a nice infill in the overall fabric of this part of the street. All it needs is some refurbishing on most the outside and give the bottom portion an updated contemporary look. 

I would say this would be a better Office property of cheaper rental residential property than a Hotel one because of the lack of views. In fact maybe if someone were very clever they could turn most of these floors into large studio type office spaces to better utilize the light coming in from the front facades.

As far as the building itself it's a typical building of its time period and nothing spectacular, but as Subdude pointed out very well is the fact that this is just a nice infill in the overall fabric of this part of the street. All it needs is some refurbishing on most the outside and give the bottom portion an updated contemporary look. 

I think views are more important for a residential property than for a hotel.  There are many very nice hotel rooms in major cities that do not have views.   That's certainly my approach to life.  If I'm renting a hotel room for a night or 5, a view is nice, but not usually crucial.  If I'm renting or even more so if I'm buying a place to live, I am going to want to see something besides the back side of another building.

Texas Street (referred to as Avenue in the link and formerly on the side of this building)

When the grid for the City of Houston was laid out by Gail Borden thoroughfares including Texas, Rusk, Prairie, and all others running parallel to those were designated "avenues." Those running perpendicular to Texas, e.g. Main, Travis, Fannin, etc. were designated "streets."

I had the interesting experience of driving through the old part of Texas City earlier today. Thoroughfares there are numbered in both directions with avenues running in one direction and streets in the perpendicular direction. That can be confusing. Imagine being at the intersection of 25th Street and 25th Avenue and trying to decide how to reach 1601 34th Street. :wacko:

omg a hostel would be perfect! Do we even have hostels in Houston?

There are ones in Museum District, Montrose, Med Center area, and near IAH. Don't know much about them.

The State National Building would be just awesome, but I'm sure the space is worth too much. Imagine that thing full of bunk beds and operable windows...

• 8 months later...

Saw this on bisnow today. I know that there had been some discussion of this narrow building between the Magnolia and Keystone Lofts previously, but couldn't find a dedicated thread for it.

CPR Money funded a $4.2M acquisition loan for 1114 Texas Ave, a 16-story vacant office building in the CBD. The deal closed within three weeks of the term sheet receipt, allowing the borrower to close quickly on a below-market acquisition price. PMI Hotels will redevelop the building into a 154-key Hyatt Place Hotel. Construction is expected to begin in nine to 12 months.

Tall skinny hotel, what is this NYC? :lol:

All kidding aside I agree that this is better that building new. Can't imagine how busy Texas St will be once all the projects along it are finished. Just off the top of my head from whats there and to be completed.

The Aquarium

Music Venue

Movie Theater

3 Performing arts theaters/halls

1 Park

4 hotels

6 or so residential buildings

4 office buidings (including tallest in Texas)

6-7 Restaurants maybe more

2 Church/Schools

1 Ballpark

4-5 bars

All this within what 12 blocks? Then of course you add the retail that will come at the bottom of the new residential buildings. I don't think there is another street like it in Houston or maybe even Texas.

Archived