Tinsley On The Park: Multifamily At 919 Gillette St.

zstrater86

Anyone know what is going up on Gillette next to the Ashton West Dallas Apartments and the Federal Reserve? Green fencing, a portable building and 2 port a pottys went up Monday. I remember seeing that the city was selling the property but haven't heard anything since.

There is also direct access to Allen Parkway Eastbound from Gillette now. Construction occurred over the last few weeks for that.

post-12095-0-38593800-1398341018_thumb.j

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is where I was told the Alamo Drafthouse and a few other buildings were going, but I could not confirm so I asked mods to close the thread. We all know Alamo will be a part of Regent Square, that is for sure.

I knew I had seen a thread about this location recently, but I couldn't find it !!

I had the opportunity to speak with a project manager from Morris this morning. They confirmed Alamo Drafthouse will in fact be off of Dunlavy like we originally thought.

I do not know what is going on at this site, but does not seem to be Regent Square related at this time.

ReBuild Houston Project Underway in District C

Montrose and Midtown Area Drainage and Paving Project

The Montrose and Midtown Area Drainage and Paving Project will improve streets and drainage in the area by enhancing roads that have deteriorated beyond normal maintenance and repair. This $8.9 million enhancement project begins at Buffalo Bayou within the street rights-of-way of Gillette (from Allen Parkway to West Dallas) and continues on West Dallas (from Gillette to Genesse), 77019. The project began in March 2014 and is anticipated to be complete by July 2015.

Montrose and Midtown Area Drainage and Paving Project highlights include the construction of a storm sewer outfall, full width street pavement reconstruction, water line and sanitary sewer replacement, as well as standard five foot wide sidewalks.

The ReBuild Houston Initiative is the City of Houston's voter approved pay-as-you-go plan to rebuild drainage and street infrastructure. Its goal is to improve the quality of life and mobility for residents through the reconstruction and proper maintenance of drainage and street improvements. The Montrose and Midtown Area Drainage and Paving Project is an active example of ReBuild Houston at work to better serve you.

For questions email pwecip@houstontx.gov or call 832.395.2090. To learn more about ReBuild Houston, visit www.rebuildhouston.org

There's an old thread from a few years ago I posted from my window about this site but the mods here changed the thread title and I can't seem to find it now. I think the property was slated for a 4 or 5 storey wrap.

This is the link to the Broadstone West Dallas topic that had a title change:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/24984-broadstone-west-dallas/?hl=broadstone

So nothing here but street improvements?

There's generally a bigger picture in mind when these things happen. Having worked for an engineering firm I have seen the early basic work of some of Houston's bigger projects. They all start somewhere, and this is a good sign of things to come in the next 1-2 years, but with how quickly Houston is growing, I wouldn't be surprised to see something happen sooner. Besides, this is still inner Houston, these projects don't just happen without some interest; it's expensive down here now.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.houstontx.gov/council/1/bfacommittee/4.19.12/gilletteproperty.pdf

http://swamplot.com/crews-move-in-to-clean-a-slice-of-land-off-allen-parkway/2014-05-19/

Couldn't find the thread I thought already existed; it may have been the apartments next door. Looks like the CWA bought the property from the city to clean it up and sell? I am confused, a swamplot commenter said water park is coming here. Got me slightly excited. Anyone know whats up?

post-10374-0-46250200-1400522660.jpg

Since everyone is hating on this thread ignoring me and would rather complain like old ladies with their perms drying about other boring stuff. Let me tell you something... whatever you think about Ground Floor Retail DOES NOT MATTER!

The market will dictate what it wants! You are a small part of the market! You are only one person and complaining on this forum does not help your one vote! Get a bunch of people to think like you and you MAY change the market reality, more than likely you will spend your time typing away at HAIF and if you actually get people to listen you should run for office. Very few people vote.

Rant over but seriously, guys this is off topic slightly and feel free to delete. 12 beers = a seemingly beautiful rant that I am sure I will shake my head tomorrow.

This is an exciting piece of property soon to be free of most things that will give you cancer, next to some section 8 housing that won't last and I am excited to see what comes. Drive down Dallas St and you will be pleased. New apts, new dentist office GFR they sell toothpaste!!!!

Keeping my eye on this one and all of you out there at HAIF.

Time for another beer , Maaa the MEEEatLOAAAFFF!

Since everyone is hating on this thread ignoring me and would rather complain like old ladies with their perms drying about other boring stuff. Let me tell you something... whatever you think about Ground Floor Retail DOES NOT MATTER!

The market will dictate what it wants! You are a small part of the market! You are only one person and complaining on this forum does not help your one vote! Get a bunch of people to think like you and you MAY change the market reality, more than likely you will spend your time typing away at HAIF and if you actually get people to listen you should run for office. Very few people vote.

Rant over but seriously, guys this is off topic slightly and feel free to delete. 12 beers = a seemingly beautiful rant that I am sure I will shake my head tomorrow.

This is an exciting piece of property soon to be free of most things that will give you cancer, next to some section 8 housing that won't last and I am excited to see what comes. Drive down Dallas St and you will be pleased. New apts, new dentist office GFR they sell toothpaste!!!!

Keeping my eye on this one and all of you out there at HAIF.

Time for another beer , Maaa the MEEEatLOAAAFFF!

Funeral-Crashers.jpg

• 1 month later...

It seems like over the past month work is being done throughout this site. Just wondering if that still the cleaning up of the site/road improvements described above, or if there is something else going on. 

It looks like it is still site remediation.  The majority of the site has been dug up.  Dump trucks have been bringing in "clean" dirt each day and filling in the large hole they were digging. Other than that I haven't seen much else done.

They have also been digging up parts of Gillette and redoing pipes for water of some sort.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like this site may be sold over to Alliance Residential.

The chosen bidder is Alliance Residential Co., a development and property management firm that also owns a new 246-unit apartment complex next to the Gillette site.

Alliance offered $39.5 million for the property, which - after covering the fees of a broker the city hired, the water authority's investment and the city's estimated interest payments - would net Houston about $22.5 million.

A memo from Icken to City Council last week identified Alliance as the high bidder, but Icken acknowledged that choice of words was "a shortcut that probably confused some people." Beeson Properties was the high bidder, he said, submitting an offer $367,000 higher than Alliance's.

Icken said he and four other city employees who evaluated the bids judged Alliance to have a better chance of closing the deal. Icken said a late-March letter to Beeson, Alliance and two other bidders inviting them to submit "best and final" offers made clear that demonstrating a commitment to the deal with hard money was a top priority for the city.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/houston/article/City-could-net-22M-on-unusual-land-deal-5647847.php?cmpid=btfpm

Wow at $40 million land costs, they would need to build a massive project here to get a proper return on their land costs.

Actually you make a great point. How much does land typically cost for midrise apartment complexes? Maybe this will be bigger then that, and/or another mixed use development on W Dallas.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/houston/article/City-could-net-22M-on-unusual-land-deal-5647847.php

It looks as though Alliance is putting up about $1 Million in earnest money, although the article suggests less than that will be at risk while Alliance does the due diligence. 

10.5 acres is a significant chunk of property on which to spread an apartment complex. Alliance wouldn't need to go too high in order to get a reasonable return on their investment, although I would not expect a garden-style development on the site. This would be a prime area for an oversized rooftop amenity deck with several pools, grilling areas, and cabanas with downtown views.

Archived