Go West Young Man!

Per a couple of other posts, I had an idea. What is the likelihood of a major tech company getting with developers and creating a massive campus west of 99 between Katy fwy and 290? I am envisioning a central hub with the commercial/ high tech industrial development, some parks, an urban center with night life, restaurants and other entertainment. Then mid and high rise residential surrounding it. I am thinking at least 5 to 10 thousand acres needed. Would HTown ( or surrounding locales) even consider this leap?

What would be the point of it when we have Downtown/Med Center/Galleria/etc. already? Even the dome would be a better use for something like this then building something so large way out in the boonies.

It is highly possible , Houston is expanding in all directions . Then again it depends on the amount of property tax on that land and is the land valuable for residential and commercial use and environmentally safe for development .There would have to be a chamber of commerce or a business /residental community partnership organization that has to agree and break ground and will neighboring communities benefit from the development . The new business/residental community has to be a good investment that is willing to pay for itself so it needs a catalyst for example 290 is a possible intermodal corridor because of trucking and rail due to UP . UP may decide to build a global intermodal yard and auto ramp in that vacinity which could bring high tech business jobs and revenue to that community and other entities that do the same like 99, I-10, and 290 themselves that serve as major arteries and corridors to that new intellectual community and its neighbors . I believe Katy is developing something like that . 

What would be the point of it when we have Downtown/Med Center/Galleria/etc. already? Even the dome would be a better use for something like this then building something so large way out in the boonies.

I hear you. It's just that I now include 99 from SL to Fairfield in my weekly commute. I just see all that potential to add another million souls to our fair city! ;)

Thanks Tower26. Good to know. I am a self proclaimed tree hugger, but even I get jazzed about the potential of these outlying areas, in a generation that seems to be doing it "smart", ie, green towers, one to one tree replacement, allowing for substantial green spaces, etc. Could you all imagine starting something of this magnitude with bicycle paths, light rail within the community, community gardens, and a design that puts all consumers and producers less than 10 blocks from commercial, residential and industrial areas? Make a model, almost Utopian, and see others attempt to copy us; but the upside would be that the others would begin to think along sustainable communities.

Archived